V6 or 4cyl Turbo 2Dr Rubicon

First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Hi everyone first time posting here...

So I iv’e had a 2016 Jk then upgraded to a 18 JL Turbo Sport and now I upgraded to 2020 Turbo Sport S.
So in the past 4 years I’ve been fortunate to have 3 brand new wrangler and I noticed that it is my favorite vehicle. The fact that I love spirited driving the 2Dr wrangler brings me so much joy with such a capable vehicle from hooning around town with that torque 4 cylinder to off-roading at the desert.

SoI have determined that I want to purchase my ideal wrangler. Rubicon even though I much prefer the sport because it is much lighter and fun to drive at least for me but I can resale for much more in the future. But I want all body colored, premium sound system, all the bells and whitles but I do not know witch engine to choose.

I love the turbo engine but I do not know how it would behave with layer on towing(side by side, small camper) or just in general.
If any has any experience or thoughts please respond.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Go test drive some Rubicons with each motor, to form your own opinion.

Another huge favor that you can do for yourself, is ask for exact details from anyone that posts anything more than going for test drives. I say that because you're about to be bombarded by thoughts and opinions, rather than facts you're really seeking from knowledge and experience.

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
We've had our 2018 2 door Rubicon with the 2.0 turbo since June of last year, and we LOVE this motor. Here in Colorado, where we frequently wheel on trails over 10,000' msl, the turbo's ability to still provide great power and torque at high alitude cinched the deal between it and the 3.6. Our JL is not a daily driver, so MPG was not a consideration, but we average a calculated 20+ in mixed driving- pretty good for a box on 35's.

OP
OP
First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport

Another huge favor that you can do for yourself, is ask for exact details from anyone that posts anything more than going for test drives. I say that because you're about to be bombarded by thoughts and opinions, rather than facts you're really seeking from knowledge and experience.
thanks for the reply
Yeah I forgot to mention iv’e test driven both engines on both rubicon and sport. I like the turbo because it is fun unlike the v6 which I think its pretty bland.

Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T

But we need another 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder thread. Where people can just reemphasize their own opinions with little to no experience with the engine they didn't buy.

OP
OP
First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
But we need another 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder thread. Where people can just reemphasize their own opinions with little to no experience with the engine they didn't buy.
If you read carefully I am asking if people has had experience with both under circumstances for example towing.

If you are so tired of this topic why are you in this tread. Please reply to the topic.

OP
OP
First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
If you read carefully I am asking if people has had experience with both under circumstances for example towing.

If you are so tired of this topic why are you in this tread. Please reply to the topic.
I have experience on both engines my sister has a JLU v6 and have test driven both engines side by side.
Thanks for your reply.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you get the V6 you can get the manual transmission. That should dial up your “spirited driving” a notch or two.

Good luck!

OP
OP
First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
If you get the V6 you can get the manual transmission. That should dial up your “spirited driving” a notch or two.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply

I tried the manual but since I’ve only driven sporty manual cars I felt the throws were way to long, maybe thats just the way it has always been for wrangler but I didn’t really enjoy it, it felt exhausting haha.

I am just a bit worried that I way run into a situation were the 4 cylinder may not have the simplicity of the v6.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am just a bit worried that I way run into a situation were the 4 cylinder may not have the simplicity of the v6.
That’s a concern many have, myself included.

In fairness, judging by reports on here, the 2.0T has been surprisingly trouble-free. ESPECIALLY for an Alfa Romeo engine. But none of that gives me any assurance that they won’t start to develop issues as the miles add up.

To be honest, I didn’t find the performance that different between the two motors: the 2.0T felt slightly spunkier; the V6 felt more composed and refined. But nothing that was earth shattering to make performance the deciding factor in either direction.

I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time; Wranglers have become too expensive to flip them every couple years. So I went with the tried-and-true engine option.

No regrets.

OP
OP
First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
That’s a concern many have, myself included.

In fairness, judging by reports on here, the 2.0T has been surprisingly trouble-free. ESPECIALLY for an Alfa Romeo engine. But none of that gives me any assurance that they won’t start to develop issues as the miles add up.

To be honest, I didn’t find the performance that different between the two motors: the 2.0T felt slightly spunkier; the V6 felt more composed and refined. But nothing that was earth shattering to make performance the deciding factor in either direction.

I plan to keep this vehicle for a long time; Wranglers have become too expensive to flip them every couple years. So I went with the tried-and-true engine option.

No regrets.
Thanks for your reply
Thats the kind of answer I was looking for based on people’s experinces

I guess that’s what I like about the 2.0 haha but yeah for long trim the v6 might feel better but the one thing I am mot concerned about is mpg. Ive had a 124 spider and got 20 mpg combined.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your reply
Thats the kind of answer I was looking for based on people’s experinces

I guess that’s what I like about the 2.0 haha but yeah for long trim the v6 might feel better but the one thing I am mot concerned about is mpg. Ive had a 124 spider and got 20 mpg combined.
Ha, you have a heavy foot!

I have a 124 Spider as well; I average 30 MPG, without even trying. Can’t seem to get less than 28 MPG...no matter how hard I try.

OP
OP
First Name
Humberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
Ha, you have a heavy foot!

I have a 124 Spider as well; I average 30 MPG, without even trying. Can’t seem to get less than 28 MPG...no matter how hard I try.
Haha wow I don’t believe it yeah I traded my jk for the spider then traded the spider for the ‘18 JL sport and now the 20202 Sport S
Yeah its because were I live its mostly city driving at the desert no highways.
On the jl I get about 15 mpg. That 8 speed really helps.

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
I have had both the V6 and the turbo 4. But first let me say that the V6 was purchased new in 2012. With less than 25,000 miles the V6 needed a new drivers side head. Then later something went wrong with the cam. So I am a little hesitant to recommend the V6. The 2012 production year was the first year for that engine In the JK. But that engine was used in other Chrysler products before being introduced in the wrangler in 2012. Hopefully bugs have long since been rectified. So here I am with a 2019 JLU Sport with the 2.0 Turbo. I purchased an extended warranty We will see what happens.
I do love this little engine. It seems to have endless power, and when combined with the 8 speed trans, it’s just the best.
Sponsored