Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

looking to hopefully place an order for a new 2021 Rubi in the next couple of days. still going over which options etc...

i was able to test drive an e-torque V6 yesterday but the dealer had ZERO 4 bangers. they only had one Rubi left on the lot for sale. so havent been able to drive one yet and everyone i know has a V6 lol.

my wife says she doesnt want a 4 banger jeep lol. i told her it has more torque and its no extra charge! as opposed to what, $1700 for the V6! when we bought our 2018 the 2.0T was $2k extra lol.

i know this is a super controversial topic akin to debating white privilege and racism. i know some of you have had both. i havent noticed any complaints about the 2.0T, that ive seen... unfortunately the V6 has the e-torque generator thing... dont know if that is a real issue or not. its stupid how they keep bouncing back and forth with these engines.

what are the pros and cons of each. which do you prefer and why? why do you prefer it over the other engine? diesel and 392 are not options lol and we'll getting the 8spd auto only. love that tranny (did i just say that?? šŸ˜³ )
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
i was able to test drive an e-torque V6 yesterday but the dealer had ZERO 4 bangers. they only had one Rubi left on the lot for sale. so havent been able to drive one yet and everyone i know has a V6 lol.

what are the pros and cons of each. which do you prefer and why? why do you prefer it over the other engine? diesel and 392 are not options lol and we'll getting the 8spd auto only.
Prior to ordering my JLU, I test drove three V6s (auto and manual transmissions). It was recommended to me by Wrangler owners, so I wanted to give that engine a fair chance.

I was underwhelmed by the Pentastar. It shouldn't have required as much right foot as it did to get the JLU down the road, IMO.

When it came time to configure my vehicle order and sign the deposit check, I selected the 2.0T engine, sight- and test-drive unseen. It was a complete leap of faith on my part, as there weren't any on the lot nor expected inbound on a truck.

To date, I've been as pleased as punch with the Hurricane engine. Superlative fuel mileage -- 28 being my high average -- with excellent road manners and performance when paired with the compulsory 850RE 8-speed (which is excellent in its own right.)

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
looking to hopefully place an order for a new 2021 Rubi in the next couple of days. still going over which options etc...

my wife says she doesnt want a 4 banger jeep lol. i told her it has more torque and its no extra charge! as opposed to what, $1700 for the V6! when we bought our 2018 the 2.0T was $2k extra lol.

i know this is a super controversial topic akin to debating white privilege and racism. i know some of you have had both. i havent noticed any complaints about the 2.0T, that ive seen... unfortunately the V6 has the e-torque generator thing... dont know if that is a real issue or not. its stupid how they keep bouncing back and forth with these engines.

what are the pros and cons of each. which do you prefer and why? why do you prefer it over the other engine? diesel and 392 are not options lol and we'll getting the 8spd auto only. love that tranny (did i just say that?? šŸ˜³ )
I donā€™t have a lot of experience to add here but, Iā€™ll throw in my 2Ā¢. I am completely new to Jeep and Wranglers. I rented a JLUS for several days recently, and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked the 4T. Currently I have a 2018 Explorer Sport with 3.5TT, and a 2015 BMW 435i with a 3.0T so, I am not new to the forced induction camp. The rental convinced me that I wanted a Wrangler so, I test drove quite a few 3.6eT models in the last few weeks (the manual Trans was ruled out quickly because, daily driver in So Calā€¦). I did not want to like the 4T as much as I did. I have always been a V8 fan, and barring that, a forced induction 6. When I placed my order two weeks ago it was for the 4T. YMMV but, I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

both of your replies do help. i need to go find a 2.0T to test drive asap lol,.

Ocog2181

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370z
Here's the thing. The V6 will most likely be phased out.

If the V6 is phased out, parts will eventually run dry and will be expensive to fix. The I4 is also in the 4Xe so, its pretty obvious what motor Jeep will be using going forward.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon

First, I'd recommend that you don't even think of them as a 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder. Ignore the cylinders, it's not apples to apples like that. It's much more accurate to consider the engines equal, each with it's own pros & cons, and decide which of the pros & cons suits you best.

I went in with full intention of getting the 3.6 thinking it was a no-brainer. But the far superior performance of the 2.0t at altitude (both power and MPG) flipped the tables and made the 2.0t the no-brainer. I found it much easier to get used to the turbo power curve than accepting the 3.6's high loss of power at altitude. Since you'll probably drive it near sea level, you can expect the 2.0t to feel almost exactly the same at altitude while the 3.6 loses 15-25% of it's power at 1-2mi elevation.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Not many reviews on the non-eTorque 2.0T yet. But here is one this guy posted. We also noted lag when we tested one. The vehicle does feel kinda heavy off the line.

Solution is the 392 for decent get up and go pep. But def test drive and make up your own mind what will work best for your situation.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I ordered the 2.0T mainly because I didn't want to mess with etorque. I havent driven the 2.0 yet but a couple friends have it and love it.

CO_Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 392 XR
New 21 JLUR owner here with the V6 with e-torque at altitude in CO. I love mine and donā€™t feel any material loss of power especially with the 8 speed transmission. I also own the V6 engine in a 2013 Grand Cherokee. For me I wanted an engine that has been tried and true for multiple years. Go with what feels best to you.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I was in your shoes a couple of months ago and thought I was set on the V6, but after researching and talking to people who know a ton more than my noob ass and finally test driving both...
The 2.0T was my choice and saving $1500 at the same time made it a no brainer...

that said, they both have their pros and cons and you'll be happy either way.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
which do you prefer and why?
On paper the V-6 wins. In reality, the 2.0 is no slouch and when youā€™re behind the wheel of either engine, you may be surprised to find out that they perform more similar than different. My rental had the 2.0 and it never once struggled or hesitated. Coming from a TJ, I felt the 2.0 was always ready to launch. Not what I was expecting from a 2.0. The Start/Stop worked flawlessly and the reliability cons that people post about here were not present and over exaggerated. Between these two engines in the real world, the differences arenā€™t drastically noticeable and with either engine youā€™re not going to be disappointed.

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

I can only share my experience, so hopefully it helps complete the puzzle for you!

Before ordering my Wrangler, I test drove both of your choices from a local dealer. Drove the V6 first. I absolutely agree with you that the pedal felt sluggish, or that you had to press into it. Not saying that the engine

Hopped into the 2.0T right after and literally the first moment I touched the pedal I turned to my wife and said ā€œThis one.ā€

Havenā€™t looked back. Iā€™ve been on 5 badge of honor trails and never once found it wanting. Of course, I donā€™t have the V6 on those trails to compare it to.

The only thing I think I could criticize the 2.0T for is that on a hot day, with the AC blasting, or working a trail in Moab, the fan is so loud. I joke that Iā€™m going to take off. To the point where Iā€™ve looked a little into trying to find a quieter alternative. I have grown accustomed to it at this point, but itā€™s still something worth noting.

Good luck. Cheers!

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Here's the thing. The V6 will most likely be phased out.

If the V6 is phased out, parts will eventually run dry and will be expensive to fix. The I4 is also in the 4Xe so, its pretty obvious what motor Jeep will be using going forward.
you have no idea what your talking about. The V6 is so widely available you will never have a hard time finding parts. It will always be cheaper then finding parts for the 4.

Redbullf189

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport Sting-Gray
I have the V6 E-torque and so far it's been wonderful. Fuel economy isn't too bad, power isn't bad and personally, I'm not a fan of turbos so I chose not to go that route.

However, I have driven the 2.0 and it's a great choice as well, so definitely not knocking it. The fuel economy in the 2.0 rental I had was fantastic.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

Went from a 13ā€™ 2 door Rubicon V6 to a 21ā€™ JLUR 2.0, makes me think my 13ā€™ was running on 5 cylinders. The 2.0 having full torque at 3,000 rpm makes it a pleasure around town and feels quicker than the 2 door. The 8 speed makes a huge difference, no more screaming V6 going up steep grades. Getting better mileage also but only 800 miles so far, the spread should widen as it breaks in.

I see some 2.0 owners getting 25+ mpg, maybe at 55 on flat ground? Iā€™m creeping towards 20 mpg if mostly freeway so far, but still better than my 13ā€™ 2 door
Sponsored