V6 Cylinder Misfire

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
Yesterday on the highway I gave the Wrangler more throttle than I’ve done before while passing. The CEL came on, flashing, and the start/stop was unavailable. I lost power, pulled back into the right lane and got off the highway as soon as I could. When I slowed down the engine was misfiring and running very roughly. I shut the Jeep off, waited for about 30 seconds and started back up.
All the warning lights turned off. I drove around on a few surface streets to see if the problem would come back. No problems till the on ramp of the highway. Giving it more throttle again the CEL started flashing and had loss of power again. I pulled over, shut off, started back up, but this time the CEL stayed on and has been on.
I immediately went to the dealer and the service manager took a look at the codes. He said it was a cylinder misfire code. I asked him if it was ok to drive and he told me it should be.
The soonest they could get me in is 10/29. I don’t really want to drive it till it’s looked at but it’s my daily driver. Has anyone had a similar code? Was it something simple like a spark plug wire or something more serious. Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. The initial description sounds exactly like the situation I had. I driven gently on the throttle up till this point. It has 27xx miles on the motor and it’s been fine till I gave it more throttle than I have before. I’m very apprehensive about driving the Jeep any further but I have to wait 10 days to get it in to be looked at! I’ll mention the bulletin when I drop it off.

Last edited:

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Yesterday on the highway I gave the Wrangler more throttle than I’ve done before while passing. The CEL came on, flashing, and the start/stop was unavailable. I lost power, pulled back into the right lane and got off the highway as soon as I could. When I slowed down the engine was misfiring and running very roughly. I shut the Jeep off, waited for about 30 seconds and started back up.
All the warning lights turned off. I drove around on a few surface streets to see if the problem would come back. No problems till the on ramp of the highway. Giving it more throttle again the CEL started flashing and had loss of power again. I pulled over, shut off, started back up, but this time the CEL stayed on and has been on.
I immediately went to the dealer and the service manager took a look at the codes. He said it was a cylinder misfire code. I asked him if it was ok to drive and he told me it should be.
The soonest they could get me in is 10/29. I don’t really want to drive it till it’s looked at but it’s my daily driver. Has anyone had a similar code? Was it something simple like a spark plug wire or something more serious. Thanks
Unacceptable for a new vehicle and you should demand a free loaner right away and they can keep it. I wouldn't drive it

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Thanks for the info. The initial description sounds exactly like the situation I had. I driven gently on the throttle up till this point. It has 27xx miles on the motor and it’s been fine till I gave it more throttle than I have before. I’m very apprehensive about driving the Jeep any further but I have to wait 10 days to get it in to be looked at! I’ll mention the bulletin when I drop it off.
That’s terrible service. Either a loaner or immediate service.
Because it’s convenient to them they say it’s fine to drive it. In other circumstances they would scare the hell out of you exaggerating the possible damage. Both scenarios are wrong. Unfortunate.

Sponsored

WranglerBane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I had this issue yesterday !!!!!!! I have a 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 6speed, My wife and I took it on our first road trip to Houston TX, from Austin TX(which is where we live) , first the "service stop/stop unavailable" message kept popping up randomly , then the start/stop symbol popped up on dashboard with exclamation mark. we were cruising around 70mph ,I gave it some gas and CEL was FLASHING, I started to freak out because the car didn't seem to run properly, I contacted dealership (which is where I bought it from) and spoke with service advisor , he recommended us to take it to the nearest JEEP dealership since we were in HTOWN , I contacted another dealership and they said all they could do is check the CEL code and that was about it, I was SUPER PISSED because we were on our way back to AUSTIN at this point, I called the dealership and spoke with GM assistant, she was very apologetic and said their service desk was closed for the day, I demanded a rental because I just dropped 50K on a top of the line vehicle and she understood, I then spoke with NEW SALES DIRECTOR and he was very helpful .He put us in a brand new wrangler until they somehow fix the issue, ***by the way , AUTOZONE pulled the code , it read P0301 (Cylinder 1 multiple misfire) , that does not sound good at all to me, I read the article that has been posted about the "rocker arms" , I SERIOUSLY hope this gets fixed. I am a first time WRANGLER owner, ALL MY VEHICLES HAVE BEEN JAPANESE, (HONDA,TOYOTA,SUBARU) I love the wrangler and hope this can be fixed. **GAUST** were you able to get it fixed? has anyone else heard of this? and if so was the problem fixed ?

OP
OP

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven’t gotten this fixed. I’m temped to drop it off tomorrow and demand a loaner till it’s fixed also. Especially after reading about the rocker arm problems. My problem happened Friday 10/19, the earliest they could get me in is 10/29! I wasn’t happy at all about it. I’ll stop by autozone and have them pull the codes to see if I can get any more info.
This is also my first Jeep since I was a teenager some 30years ago. It’s a JLUR with 2760 miles on it. I’ve owned 4 Nissans 3 Xterras and 1 Titan. All bought new and never had a single problem with any of them.

WranglerBane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I haven’t gotten this fixed. I’m temped to drop it off tomorrow and demand a loaner till it’s fixed also. Especially after reading about the rocker arm problems. My problem happened Friday 10/19, the earliest they could get me in is 10/29! I wasn’t happy at all about it. I’ll stop by autozone and have them pull the codes to see if I can get any more info.
This is also my first Jeep since I was a teenager some 30years ago. It’s a JLUR with 2760 miles on it. I’ve owned 4 Nissans 3 Xterras and 1 Titan. All bought new and never had a single problem with any of them.
I would definitely DEMAND a loaner and tell them you dont feel safe driving it. I also NEVER had any issues with my previous cars..so im definitely bummed out. I hope yours gets fixed. I will keep you posted and let you know what happens with mine. Also keep me posted as well, i think its good we have forums like this to keep people informed

OP
OP

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m definitely bummed also. I’ll keep you posted on any developments and thanks for doing the same. I hope yours gets fixed also and it was something minor. My hope is it’s a bad spark plug, plugged injector, or something simple. Yes it’s a great way to share info and I’m very greatful for the help and info. Thanks

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I gave the Wrangler more throttle than I’ve done before while passing. The CEL came on, flashing, and the start/stop was unavailable. I lost power, pulled back into the right lane and got off the highway as soon as I could.
Serious problem with engine , possibly related to electronics .

( Just as an aside , passing is probably the most dangerous driver behavior .)

wood , grant , death on ridge road b.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I stopped by Autozone and the code read of the OBD was P0302, cylinder 2 misfire. This was listed as happening twice. After looking the code up it’s very vague as to the cause. Could be anything from electronics to mechanical.

( Just as an aside , passing is probably the most dangerous driver behavior .)

wood , grant , death on ridge road b.jpg
Wow, I was passing on a 4 lane highway and not passing in an on coming lane. Thanks for your concern though.

gcnd06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BW JLUR (lemon'd), 2019 SG JLUR
Had the same issue. Pcm was bad. Dealer replaced the pcm and now it’s good. Took almost a month for them to figure it out.

WranglerBane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Strange that the PCM was the issue to the misfire.I read the rocker arms link and that makes a lot of sense. I am going to the dealership tomorrow to talk to them in person. Ideally I would like a replacement. But we shall see

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The issue with the rocker arms, in my opinion, is because of factory employee error rather than faulty parts. I saw a video of workers at the engine plant installing the valvetrain on a Pentastar engine and I couldn't believe that they actually do it that way. I can see how it would be easy to not install them properly or not to proper torque specifications during assembly. Usually having those reinstalled at the shop will fix the issue permanently.

WranglerBane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
10/22/2018 UPDATE** finally got in contact with service advisor, he clamed they "took it for a test drive" and CEL was off and they were not able to pull any codes, I advised them to accelerate on the vehicle to trigger the issue, and that I would be more than happy to go there after work to try to mimic the issue, service advisor stated that would not be needed , they will try again tomorrow, I told them about the "rocker arms issue" and showed them the article with FCA, he stated their has to be a series of documentation before they can lead to that resort. So far they have been good and reasoning , but I am pushing for them to check the "rocker arms" for sure. anyway I will keep you all posted as well. This is CRAZY... I cannot believe on these forums how many issues people are having with the new JLs. Jeep should be ashamed for the lack of mechanics to their engineering... its no wonder JAPAN is notorious for making remarkable and reliable vehicles... their engineering is way far beyond ours.. I hope this gets resolved because I really like the Rubicon..
Sponsored