Sponsored

V41 Recall Installed Upside Down Club

Was your V41 recall successful first time round?

• Total voters

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
All this makes me want to avoid the FCA dealer network.
Sponsored

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Oil path return must be hanging towards road, arrow can be spun in upper part of stabilizer to be front or back. You can see pod on one and the other has no pod.

I was told they put 6 on all in wrong configuration. Then they explored the bullitin explaining what this oil passage does

Screenshot_20191003-140529_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191003-140513_Gallery.jpg
Sorry I don’t mean to be a DA. The first picture is the correct mounting?

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
Yes, path towards road, there is a sticker on main body of stabilizer that says front of jeep, but it can rotate. Adding to the confusion

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
Ignore the sticker. Bulge goes down.

Sponsored

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I didn't have an issue with the steering before or after the recall work was done.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Proud member of "Mine was put on Right" club!
Seems to have helped somewhat, although mine didn't seem to suffer the problems that others have mentioned.

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Oil path return must be hanging towards road, arrow can be spun in upper part of stabilizer to be front or back. You can see pod on one and the other has no pod.
Yep my guess is that if the oil return path is at the top then any air that is in sitting in the top of the hydraulic housing will mess up the damping effect. The stabilizer relies on the viscosity of the oil passing over the internal piston head as it moves from side to side to slow the effects of any vibrations or sudden impacts. If there's a big enough bubble of air in the top of the chamber (unlikely that the manufacturer will have managed to bleed all of the air out) then this bubble will pass across the piston head much easier than the oil and the damper will be compromised.

Might explain why we're seeing reports of DW on vehicles with the stabilizer installed upside down where they had no DW before the V41 recall. I immediately knew there was a problem with the new damper after my V41 install as the steering felt a lot looser on the drive away from the workshop.

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The unit they placed on my Rubicon does not appear to have the Oil Pathway

IMG_0322 (002).jpg

IMG_0321 (002).jpg

IMG_0320 (002).jpg

IMG_0319 (002).jpg

Sponsored

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Think the latest with the air/oil path is on th AE version, i had a AD, installed as they could not get the latest AE model to improve handling. The sticker on shock body confermed to the installer he was doing it correctly. 1/2 rotation on outer half of stabilizer would have the arrow facing front of jeep.

They put 5 on mine, all reversed. Till i showed them pix of the pod. Then they looked closely at the bulletin instructions.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Think the latest with the air/oil path is on th AE version, i had a AD, installed as they could not get the latest AE model to improve handling. The sticker on shock body confermed to the installer he was doing it correctly. 1/2 rotation on outer half of stabilizer would have the arrow facing front of jeep.

They put 5 on mine, all reversed. Till i showed them pix of the pod. Then they looked closely at the bulletin instructions.
Good Lord, Five???
That's crazy, so you still don't have the AE version, or was the fifth one the charm?

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Sorry, they put on 5 AE's all upside down
Tech test drove and noticed it was better with AD that has no pathway. There is an arrow that adds to confusion. That aids in incorrectly mounting
Ncic105 in prev post, I see you have the AE unit with no pod hanging down.

I was told that once installed incorrectly it may ruin the unit, even when placed in proper position,

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry, they put on 5 AE's all upside down
Tech test drove and noticed it was better with AD that has no pathway. There is an arrow that adds to confusion. That aids in incorrectly mounting
Ncic105 in prev post, I see you have the AE unit with no pod hanging down.

I was told that once installed incorrectly it may ruin the unit, even when placed in proper position,
My new stabilizer helped (although my steering was never an issue), just made it so I can drive w/ hands off the wheel rather than 1 finger :)

FCA should put a blob of bright white paint on that bulge and a tag wired to the part clearly stating "white mark needs to be facing the ground", maybe then it would have only taken four tries :)

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Mine also drove fine without the fix. Although It's about 10% more true now. Had Mopar version installed. Was hoping for the Fox. In the past I've only had the wobble once and it lasted all of one second after hitting a pothole at 50mph. That was the main reason for doing the recall.
Sponsored