Sponsored

Using U Bolts and Straps for hardtop storage?

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

I saw on another site that someone used u bolts around the joists and pushed the ends through the drywalls. The straps would hook on to the horizontal bar. Any ideas why I should NOT do this? Or is this another good option?
Here are the images from another site.
Jeep Wrangler JL Using U Bolts and Straps for hardtop storage? 1651124734559
Jeep Wrangler JL Using U Bolts and Straps for hardtop storage? 1651124802007
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just use eyebolts that screw directly into the joist? Wouldn't that be easier?

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Why not just use eyebolts that screw directly into the joist? Wouldn't that be easier?
I am considering that as well. What is weird is that there is a one inch gap between the top of the drywall and the bottom of the joist. I would have to find an extra long eyebolt screw. Also, considering this is a fairly new house (Built around 18 years ago), there shouldn't be any issues with attaching to joint? Not sure if the construction is trusses, rafters, or whatever these are called, lol. Does the type even matter??

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see why it would matter. The top weighs, what, maybe 300#? No matter the actual type of joist you have I would think it would able to hold that load. It's not like it's 1500#.

I have open rafters in my pole barn, so I am mounting 10' sections of electrical strut channel (LINK) on top of the rafters with a couple of lag bolts into the top of the rafters so they don't move, and then eye bolts attached to the channels.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

I don't see why it would matter. The top weighs, what, maybe 300#? No matter the actual type of joist you have I would think it would able to hold that load. It's not like it's 1500#.

I have open rafters in my pole barn, so I am mounting 10' sections of electrical strut channel (LINK) on top of the rafters with a couple of lag bolts into the top of the rafters so they don't move, and then eye bolts attached to the channels.
Nice! If you have a chance, I would love to see pics of this installation.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Happy to once it's finished.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Those U-bolts would be best if you are not real handy around the house. Pretty much nothing to go wrong. The eye-bolts we are talking about have a wood screw on the end and you need to pre-drill a hole in the center of the joist to install them. If you drill the edge of the joist by mistake it could split and pull out under load.

The only time the type of joist/truss/rafter matters is if they are made from engineered lumber by which I mean there are two boards at the top and bottom separated by a thin panel of plywood. I personally would not drill into the bottom of one of those to install an eye bolt.

One last comment. I'm not a fan of the way those straps drag across the seal above the window.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of the way those straps drag across the seal above the window.
I agree. Maybe a pool noodle (or something similar?) to help cushion it.

OP
OP
SoCal JLUS

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Those U-bolts would be best if you are not real handy around the house. Pretty much nothing to go wrong. The eye-bolts we are talking about have a wood screw on the end and you need to pre-drill a hole in the center of the joist to install them. If you drill the edge of the joist by mistake it could split and pull out under load.

The only time the type of joist/truss/rafter matters is if they are made from engineered lumber by which I mean there are two boards at the top and bottom separated by a thin panel of plywood. I personally would not drill into the bottom of one of those to install an eye bolt.

One last comment. I'm not a fan of the way those straps drag across the seal above the window.
That is some good info to consider. I also agree about the straps. I am planning on using for individual straps for each corner and setting it up the way the ponytail guy does it in his videos ( who's links are banned for some reason).

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I don't see why it would matter. The top weighs, what, maybe 300#? No matter the actual type of joist you have I would think it would able to hold that load. It's not like it's 150#
I don't think it's even that much. I mean, I'm a professional body builder, MMA fighter and strong man (on the internet) and my spouse and I can lift it off the jeep and she's like 140lbs. While we are both reasonably fit, I'm pretty sure she isn't lifting above her body weight that awkwardly.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Searching reveals that the JLU hard tops weigh about 140 pounds. Pretty light stuff. I used eye bolts into the 2x10 exposed ceiling joists of my garage. Worked well.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
My [admittedly over-engineered] solution was to mount 2x4s across the joists so that the 2x4 is screwed to 3-4 joists each, and then eye-hooks screwed into the ends of the 2x4.

Way overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry
That's how I did mine as well. 2x4 mounted to joists, and then eye-hooks into 2x4. It was the method recommended by the hoist manufacturer. It's one of those strap hoists with a rope pulley on it.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here's how I did mine. I used electrical mounting channels from the local big box store. Lag bolted them into the top of the joists, added eye bolts for the straps. I did not use ratchet straps, but the type with the friction straps to attach to the top. Works great for both 2 door and 4 door JLs. I also used pool noodles after this first trial removal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Using U Bolts and Straps for hardtop storage? IMG_1693.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Using U Bolts and Straps for hardtop storage? IMG_1695.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Using U Bolts and Straps for hardtop storage? IMG_1732.JPG
Sponsored