Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I wish there was a 4th option like "target mpg". In this made up option you can set a target of say 35mpg for example and on normal hybrid situations where the engine shuts off the engine would charge battery until the efficiency dropped to 35mpg.

I feel like hybrid mode is a race to the bottom on the battery instead of having decent mpg
That would be awesome.

Agree hybrid is a race to the bottom. It's all electric first then gas. Not what I was envisioning when getting a hybrid
Sponsored

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Maybe my math is off, but doesn't this end up being a wash on a 90 mile loop when starting with a fully charged battery?

Using this method vs the standard hybrid mode, you'd still use roughly 3 gallons of gas in both situations.

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
I have been driving my 4XE like this for a few weeks now. For those that haven't tried it, it's not as difficult as it seems. The vehicle automatically downshifts for you so you're just manually upshifting. It REALLY loves early shifting (before 3k rpm) because the battery provides that nice boost to engine before it turns to more ICE assisted. I've also noticed that it operates differently when you are in hybrid or e-save mode and push it over to manual. Hybrid mode (no max regen) then pushing into manual seems to be the best.

I've heard some people say to run it as a true hybrid just deplete the battery. I don't believe that's true because the Jeep will always try to put power back into the system. You can watch it on the hybrid screen.

I have insanely high electric rates so I needed to find another way to operate my vehicle more efficiently. Right now it was $2.75 gas and 3.50 per charge for me. I'm also looking to take advantage of ALL the torque the Jeep has to offer running my 37s and still be in the lower to mid 20 mpg (🤞). Right now I'm at 22.7 mpg on my test run with 37s, half a tank in, BUT I'm not yet calibrated for my correct tire size. I believe it will increase once calibrated.

I put an email out to Z automotive (Tazer) about running as a true hybrid. The only time I could tell the vehicle drove like this on its own (without manually shifting) was when it went into "fuel and oil refresh mode." Since it was a mode, I asked if it was something that could be selected. I was told they will be looking into it. Maybe if their is enough interest (emails) it will make them look a little more into it?

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
I have been driving my 4XE like this for a few weeks now. For those that haven't tried it, it's not as difficult as it seems. The vehicle automatically downshifts for you so you're just manually upshifting. It REALLY loves early shifting (before 3k rpm) because the battery provides that nice boost to engine before it turns to more ICE assisted. I've also noticed that it operates differently when you are in hybrid or e-save mode and push it over to manual. Hybrid mode (no max regen) then pushing into manual seems to be the best.

I've heard some people say to run it as a true hybrid just deplete the battery. I don't believe that's true because the Jeep will always try to put power back into the system. You can watch it on the hybrid screen.

I have insanely high electric rates so I needed to find another way to operate my vehicle more efficiently. Right now it was $2.75 gas and 3.50 per charge for me. I'm also looking to take advantage of ALL the torque the Jeep has to offer running my 37s and still be in the lower to mid 20 mpg (🤞). Right now I'm at 22.7 mpg on my test run with 37s, half a tank in, BUT I'm not yet calibrated for my correct tire size. I believe it will increase once calibrated.

I put an email out to Z automotive (Tazer) about running as a true hybrid. The only time I could tell the vehicle drove like this on its own (without manually shifting) was when it went into "fuel and oil refresh mode." Since it was a mode, I asked if it was something that could be selected. I was told they will be looking into it. Maybe if their is enough interest (emails) it will make them look a little more into it?
I would buy a tazer in a heartbeat if they offered that! They probably would have more customers like me that are not planning on modifying since the rubicon is more than capable for the trails I frequent.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
How are you guys going into M8? When I flip to manual it goes into M7 and then doesn't let me go any higher.

Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I still think if this actually worked, the engineers would have made hybrid mode always hybrid mode. I'm a hard sell, but I just want to understand.

Perhaps for an 80 mile drive, it's not having to charge the battery and this makes for a sweet spot?

I would think an electric only mode would have slightly less losses. Then there is the extra idle running, which may be mitigated on a good highway stretch.

We need to get the myth busters on this one!

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
I just want to clarify that my wife drives the 4xe daily and is her vehicle. With that said her and i have been discussing what all she has been trying in order to maximize fuel economy. Last week is the best mileage she has gotten yet with 30.53 running exclusively in Hybrid mode. She runs about 80 miles round trip to work each day so she is beyond the 20 miles of just battery and about half of her trip each way is pretty hilly. Hope this helps some of you out there.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
I just want to clarify that my wife drives the 4xe daily and is her vehicle. With that said her and i have been discussing what all she has been trying in order to maximize fuel economy. Last week is the best mileage she has gotten yet with 30.53 running exclusively in Hybrid mode. She runs about 80 miles round trip to work each day so she is beyond the 20 miles of just battery and about half of her trip each way is pretty hilly. Hope this helps some of you out there.
just based on the averages I’ve experienced so far (And this is only over 1300 miles), I’ll get about 26 miles all electric with mpg reading 60-70, then drive remaining miles in Hybrid mode seeing about 10% of those miles electric and 90% gas. Those ICE/hybrid miles easily average 25 mpg. From a cost perspective, with gas at 3 bucks a gallon, the electric only miles equate to getting 40 mpg on gasoline. If I drive 80 miles total using the equivalent cost of 2 2/3 gallons of gas, the mpg is 30, but my gauge will indicate about 33 since it has no idea what I pay for electricity. It does seem your numbers are accurate, since there are no hills in South Jersey.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
just based on the averages I’ve experienced so far (And this is only over 1300 miles), I’ll get about 26 miles all electric with mpg reading 60-70, then drive remaining miles in Hybrid mode seeing about 10% of those miles electric and 90% gas. Those ICE/hybrid miles easily average 25 mpg. From a cost perspective, with gas at 3 bucks a gallon, the electric only miles equate to getting 40 mpg on gasoline. If I drive 80 miles total using the equivalent cost of 2 2/3 gallons of gas, the mpg is 30, but my gauge will indicate about 33 since it has no idea what I pay for electricity. It does seem your numbers are accurate, since there are no hills in South Jersey.
Her numbers were figured at the pump after fill up, not by the jeeps computer.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
Her numbers were figured at the pump after fill up, not by the jeeps computer.
So does that not include the cost of electricity for the first 20-30 miles? If not you should just deduct the miles traveled on the initial charge, then divide the remaining miles by the gallons of gasoline added (ie. 80 miles total minus 25 miles initial charge = 55 miles divided by X gallons of gas). You can also just reset one of the mpg meters after the electricity level hits 1% and get the same result. Either way, the MPGe figure is almost useless except to compare one vehicle to another. Your battery holds a little less than the equivalent energy of a half gallon of gas, but unless you can get electricity for 10 cents per kw/hr the numbers are not equivalent.

Sponsored

JeepLife27

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Just picked up my 4xe on Saturday. This thread is exactly what I was hoping to find while looking for the best way to optimize my everyday commute. My question is how do you get into M8 mode, so I can try this out. Thanks in advance.

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Just picked up my 4xe on Saturday. This thread is exactly what I was hoping to find while looking for the best way to optimize my everyday commute. My question is how do you get into M8 mode, so I can try this out. Thanks in advance.
The 4xe has an 8 speed automatic transmission. If your gear selector is in drive, just push the gear selector to the left and you’ll be in auto-stick mode (or manual mode). This will let you shift gears up and down. M8 is just 8th gear which can only be shifted into after going a certain speed (freeway speed).

cball508

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392
By driving in manual mode it changes how the vehicle operates. It will go from predominantly electric with gas assist to gas with electric assist. IMO it blends how the Jeep drives better between ice and electric, still provides plenty of power, and stretches out the battery run time longer. I run this way because my electric prices are insane ($.24 kWh) and gas is cheaper than elec. I can't bitch though. Running 37" tires (calibrated) and still getting 25 mpg! That's also cut down my charging time to once every three days as well. Good luck!

Chubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
My 4xe in Hybrid mode only uses electric first. It does not intelligently decides between gas and electric until I floor the throttle to kick in ICE. So technically it's not a true hybrid.

Only when I put the truck in manual M8 mode do I see both ICE and electric being consumed at the same time. Full charge on electric does not run out until 80+ miles.
Well, yeah it's a hybrid. We have a hybrid Escape here at the house and it behaves similarly to the 4xe. So how do you describe a "true" hybrid?

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Well, yeah it's a hybrid. We have a hybrid Escape here at the house and it behaves similarly to the 4xe. So how do you describe a "true" hybrid?
I'm not sure how an escape works but I've had multiple hybrid and phev in my house and the way they operate is both systems running at the same time maximizing efficiency. So for example the gas engine is on at 50% power and electric 50% and those % go up and down based on how you are driving.

Whereas on 4xe the hybrid mode is all electric first and then once depleted it switches to gas. While gas is "available" if you punch it, it's not used unless needed.

We know if we have a 100 mile trip that no matter the speed we go at, the battery will be depleted after the first 25 miles and when the trip is over the battery is at 0%. Whereas any other hybrid I could make a 100 mile trip and reasonably expect there could be 10% battery left.

That's why this thread is so facinating because if we drive in M8 then the system finally acts as a true hybrid and we can maximize battery efficiency
Sponsored