sconrad24

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Has anyone tested going into e mode at the end of these trips using the m8 method? Do you get ~5 miles in e mode if its saying battery is at 10%?.... FWIW I cant wait to test myself once my 4xe gets here. Currently its siting in inspections. My office is 50 miles away. Theres a bunch of scenarios I want to test.

Jocko

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I mean, it's abundantly clear that there are benefits of staying in M8 on the highway. My parents live about 60 miles away and I end up with about 10% left in charge when I stay on the highway with around 80-90% of the driving in M8.

This makes sense as the engine is in prime gas mileage mode and the battery doesn't have to do any real heavy lifting - just adding some oomph here and there when the road grade changes a bit.

Both the battery and ICE are in their "best" states in a way.
I agree with your overall logic. In fact this is exactly why I alway run e-save mode on the highway. I guess with this M8 mode approach, you're using somewhat more electricity on the highway than I would, since I would get off the highway with the same % charge as when I got on.

Clearly "M8" causes the 4xe to prioritize engine/battery usage in a way that differs from the Hybrid, Electric and E-Save modes. And that's cool because each one of those behavior patterns will be well suited to different driving scenarios. So "M8" seems to add another "tool to the toolbox" if you will.

That said, can we please put this "way more efficient" myth to bed? Looking at the original post, it is clear the change in MPG is simply due to a change is how MPG is being calculated:
  • In the hybrid screenshot, we see 61.4 miles of the trip was done on gas. If we divide that by the 22.9 mpg, we find that about 2.68 gallons of gas was used on the trip.
  • In the "M8" screenshot, we clearly see that the computer has simply counted all 82 miles as gas and gave no credit to electric. If we take 82 and divide that by the same 2.68 gallons of gas, we get 30.6. I think one can assume there are enough variables between the 2 trips explain to 30.6 vs. 31.6.
And so we end up with two very different numbers despite the fact that the same amount of gas and electricity was used both times.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
How much less gas did you use vs making that drive in Hybrid?
I tried this on Saturday and although the mileage was better I saw no gain in battery mileage. Personally I would think you would just cause premature wear on the tranny as it wants to hold it in M8 instead of downshifting like normal.

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement