Sponsored

DukeFrisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i/Golf R/GT350
Ya that is what it does, but I do not see how it is more efficient running that way. The OP mentions .24c per k/w and that being more expensive then gas. Not everyone pays that per kw and it is just running the ICE more on a commute.

If we are talking about benefits, you are not getting more MPG in manual w/ hybrid, on 50 -80 mile commute. At least I am not. so I do not see what the benefit is, unless you are in an area where charging is expensive.

For longer road trips, it would probably make sense.
I've posted on this subject before but for me it's less about efficiency and more about how it drives. The blend of gas and electric makes the Jeep 10x more entertaining to drive, especially around town. You actually can utilize the 375hp/470tq in daily driving. Outside that mode it's either a smooth but modestly underpowered EV or an unmarkable and heavy ICE vehicle. The ruckus of the gas engine starting on demand (especially when cold) when driving in traffic is conspicuously low-tech feeling and is one of the few things I don't like about the vehicle.

I wouldn't want to force it on others, but it would be nice to have a true hybrid mode, or a sport mode. I personally see minimal difference between electric and hybrid modes other than when each starts the ICE.
Sponsored

SilverBackJLCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2006 Jeep LJ
I've posted on this subject before but for me it's less about efficiency and more about how it drives. The blend of gas and electric makes the Jeep 10x more entertaining to drive, especially around town. You actually can utilize the 375hp/470tq in daily driving. Outside that mode it's either a smooth but modestly underpowered EV or an unmarkable and heavy ICE vehicle. The ruckus of the gas engine starting on demand (especially when cold) when driving in traffic is conspicuously low-tech feeling and is one of the few things I don't like about the vehicle.

I wouldn't want to force it on others, but it would be nice to have a true hybrid mode, or a sport mode. I personally see minimal difference between electric and hybrid modes other than when each starts the ICE.

Completely understand where you are coming from. It could be wonky at times when the engine fires up, but I get enough power in hybrid modes to do what I need it to do.

As far as the sport mode, isn't that what the manual shifter kind of achieves?

rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert Gonzalez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica PHEV
Great topic! I'm torn between trip computer anomaly and hybrid operation.

Engineer in me says energy should be a wash out. But we are dealing with different effiencies.

Which is why I'm curious about total range. One charge, one full tank of of petrol.
Its likely the efficiency is actually the same*, but the way its calculated is different. in the end using mpge calculations is ridiculous for obvious reasons, but also has hidden benefits in CA because we live in a state with almost 40% renewable energy.

*By "same" I mean that at 40mph in electric only mode, you'll be getting the same relative inefficiency as when running in all gas mode compared to a Prius Prime for example.

croanie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
Maybe this could be true, but I think it’s more likely an anomaly in the trip computer. In both cases your battery is completely drained, but in the M8 case gasoline gets credit for all 82 miles (battery gets zero). Even if the 4xe engine never stops running in M8 mode (?), the battery still extinguished itself getting those 82 miles. The number of miles attributed to gas is overstated.
Just ran upon this thread while trying to figure out why my 4xe is doing some weird battery\gas calculations as well. I have yet to do similar long range testing for overall MPG in M8 but this anomaly is what I've been noticing... Having the driving mode on Hybrid and watching the trip gauge, I notice that when doing pure highway driving @ 70MPH, I can see on the gauges and hear that it's running on the pure ICE. However the battery miles remaining are still getting used and dropping as I'm driving. I can start on a full charge (around 22 miles of battery) and drive until the battery is completely depleted on the highway but my trip calculator will show all the miles given to gas and nearly 0 miles given to the battery even though it's using up all of the battery somewhere. I can't recall if this was tested in this thread but at some point I'm curious to see if my overall average MPG differs if I double my highway miles and set it to E-Save mode on the first leg and then try Hybrid on the same distance back. Both trips should calculate all miles given to gas on the trip calculator, but curious if the MPG average changes.

Malifestro

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Just ran upon this thread while trying to figure out why my 4xe is doing some weird battery\gas calculations as well. I have yet to do similar long range testing for overall MPG in M8 but this anomaly is what I've been noticing... Having the driving mode on Hybrid and watching the trip gauge, I notice that when doing pure highway driving @ 70MPH, I can see on the gauges and hear that it's running on the pure ICE. However the battery miles remaining are still getting used and dropping as I'm driving. I can start on a full charge (around 22 miles of battery) and drive until the battery is completely depleted on the highway but my trip calculator will show all the miles given to gas and nearly 0 miles given to the battery even though it's using up all of the battery somewhere. I can't recall if this was tested in this thread but at some point I'm curious to see if my overall average MPG differs if I double my highway miles and set it to E-Save mode on the first leg and then try Hybrid on the same distance back. Both trips should calculate all miles given to gas on the trip calculator, but curious if the MPG average changes.
Turns out Alex on Autos has noticed the 4xe has a weird way of calculating MPG, and what we are getting on the dash might not be what we are actually using.

Watch this video here -

Notice this screen shot here -
Jeep Wrangler JL Using true hybrid mode to maximize MPG of Jeep 4xe 1676100518420

I've not read all posts but I have read a few pages. To tie this back to the Original Post I would say we need to take our vehicles and run them without plugging them in to get a MPG score. Then, do the same loop with electric/hybrid blend to find out how much it improved. Bonus points for running with e-save mode and see if the MPG dropped.

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
You can set up your dash to the hybrid screen or set it up the power summary as a gauge. You will be able to see it’s never running pure gas. It’s always either charging or producing power. So what you are seeing is not an anomaly both motors are providing power. “Hybrid Miles” are just any time the ice is on, “electric” miles are just miles when the ice shuts off, doesn’t matter which mode.

Last edited:

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Turns out Alex on Autos has noticed the 4xe has a weird way of calculating MPG, and what we are getting on the dash might not be what we are actually using.

Watch this video here -

Notice this screen shot here -
Jeep Wrangler JL Using true hybrid mode to maximize MPG of Jeep 4xe 1676100518420

I've not read all posts but I have read a few pages. To tie this back to the Original Post I would say we need to take our vehicles and run them without plugging them in to get a MPG score. Then, do the same loop with electric/hybrid blend to find out how much it improved. Bonus points for running with e-save mode and see if the MPG dropped.
Its an algorithm not simply miles driven/gallons used. Go drive a couple miles electric and you will see that your mpg doesnt soddenly shoot up. It does factor in efficiency too. Still overall more electric miles vs ice miles raises the dash mpg. It costs $1.75 to charge my battery vs over $4.00 per gallon here so the more electric miles the better for me. Regardless of the number on my dash or what my gas app calculates my last tank to be, the key is not the number but the direction its going. That tells me that I have been good with the gas pedal, that my tires are the appropriate pressure, I got lucky with the weather or if it dropped drastically that something might be wrong.
Sponsored