Sponsored

Using Rubicon Suspension on a lower model?

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
Trying to get a variety of input here. Currently, I own a stock 19' Sahara. I am considering purchasing Rubicon coils and suspensions. In theory, I may gain about an inch of clearance and slightly better suited offroad performance. I have seen some from barely used to 20k used. I am about to buy a steel bumper and winch so with that I'm expecting some clearance drop so this would maybe counter that a little. This is just to hold me over until I can afford a proper lift down the road at a later point. While I have seen some say its a bad idea to replace the suspension, what would yalls vote be? Worthwhile upgrade or don't even bother?
Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’d do it - you can get the used stuff at a good price.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the rubicon suspension on my JLU and gained 1.5" all around. So your estimated 1" on your JLUS is accurate. I greatly appreciate the much better ride. I hated the stock suspension.

I haven't heard from anyone that had a problem with a properly installed rubicon suspension.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I couldn't get any interest in my Rubi suspension so it should be damn near free

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
One of the best things I've done with the Jeep is to install the Rubi suspension. I don't feel like I need any more lift other than the extra inch-ish I got from it. I have a steel bumper installed now and I haven't noticed any drop in the front either.
IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6219.JPG

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I agree with @Sean L . We got ours put on at the same time. Thanks to @GhostDivers for giving me his take-offs. I got around 1;5". Originally thought it was just going to hold me over until I got a lift but now I think I am going to stay with this setup.

No regrets at all. Would definitely recommend to anyone who is staying at 33s or less.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets at all. Would definitely recommend to anyone who is staying at 33s or less.
Completely agree! This is really the deciding factor =>33" tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CjMiller7

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
One of the best things I've done with the Jeep is to install the Rubi suspension. I don't feel like I need any more lift other than the extra inch-ish I got from it. I have a steel bumper installed now and I haven't noticed any drop in the front either.
IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6219.JPG
Thats awesome! Because im about to put a steel bumper and winch on! Thanks!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thats awesome! Because im about to put a steel bumper and winch on! Thanks!
The Rubicon the parts came off of has the steel bumper group so that might be a help too. Definitely no regrets doing this.

mbartelt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I just bought Rubicon takeoffs for my Sahara. I'm going to add the Teraflex 1/2" spring spacers for $50 and the Mopar lift kit LCAs temporarily, so I can get the wheels and tires I want, then save up to upgrade to the Teraflex 2.5 Alpine suspension.

OP
OP
CjMiller7

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
IMG_6202.JPG
IMG_6219.JPG
How was ride quality between Sahara and Rubi? Heard they are the same if not Rubi a bit better.

OP
OP
CjMiller7

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR
The Rubicon the parts came off of has the steel bumper group so that might be a help too. Definitely no regrets doing this.
Yeah, I found one that came off a hardtop and steel bumper.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, I found one that came off a hardtop and steel bumper.
Nice score, you should be happy w/ that setup, and keeping OEM parts is a good plan. Consider the longer Mopar LCAs too, my steering was great bone-stock, got a bit wander-prone after the Rubi swap, now it's better than even stock w/ the Mopar LCAs, can hold the wheel w/ 1 finger rolling down the hwy :)

Here's my install thread for the Rubi swap and the LCAs if you plan to DIY the install
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
Sponsored