Using local 4x4 shop. Not doing what they said. Advice

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Ah yes, the old “Im the only customer he has” mentality. You’ll be continuously disappointed in life.
someone tells you "it will be done by 5pm" it should be done by 5pm, especially a simple light install....then says oh I "had to eat dinner , it will be done by 9pm"...then once again comes back and says oh couldn't finish can you sit around all day tomorrow and wait for it to be done? You're Good with that?

He won't have any customers left running his business like that....rule number one in business is to under promise and over deliver , not over promise and under deliver
Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Everyone needs to chill. As is usually the case, the "answer" is somewhere in the middle.

OP: If you told him you'd need it by Saturday afternoon as the original deadline, you really have no ground to stand on when it comes to being upset if it's not done on Friday, even if they told you it would be.

Lots of other people: You guys seriously just pick on anyone to make yourselves feel better, even if your position makes absolutely zero sense. The bottom line is that any business doesn't last long if they don't stick to their timelines they give to their customers. End of story. No amount of macho "not a car guy" crap changes that.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Let's see, hound him to get it done quicker, then ask for a discount on the labor. Just hope that the rush job didn't leave any corners cut or details overlooked. I would imagine that your relationship with that shop would be damaged too.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Show me one mod shop that had every job done on time, ill wait.... i guess they’ll all be going under then.

when i say “not a car guy” i mean you must be new to the world of car modification. Shit happens, bolt on parts never bolt right on and when a shop tells you two weeks you can expect four.

do you ask for a $10-20 discount and squabble over pennies or a 50% discount and expect the guy to do the work for peanuts. If its so simple, why not do it yourself??

Also love it when someone acts like its life or death that their car be ready by X time/date. If its THAT important maybe wait to install your stupid parts after your done performing the brain surgery that you desperately need your car for.

these are why shops, and aftermarket companies in general, hate dealing with customers. The guy who whines that Northridge said it would be delivered on sunday but it came on monday so now im going to demand free stuff or bitch to the world about it.

maybe people would be happier if shops talked more like lawyers. “I can’t guarantee anything. We get paid whether or not we’re successful. These things take time (ie its done when its done).

i guess some people would prefer it would be like on Overhaulin. When the deadline comes everything looks great and you get to take it out of the shop. But you will be taking it back to have the rush job fixed. In my 25+ years of modding cars one thing i have learned is dont bug the guy and let him do his work so it gets done right.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Im being a bit facetious but man people complain about the littleist things. From the title of this thread you would think that the shop promised to hand torque everything to spec and use only the finest synthetic fluids and grease on everything and is now refusing to do so. Instead its, “it was supposed to be done friday evening, now it wont be ready till Saturday morning. Should i sue?”

its starting to sound like the corvette forum around here.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
A about a month ago I talked to the shop about installing some lights I was going to get for Oracle. I’m only in town 2 days a week. Friday and Saturday. So the work has to be completed by Saturday. (Today) the shop has it now. When we talked he said he could have it done by 5pm Friday if I dropped it off in the morning. He said “you can drop it off early but I don’t come in until 10am”. The lights he is installing are the sidetrack and rear bumper reverse lights. I’m not disagreeing about how much we agreed on but how people work.
So last night near 7pm me and the wife went to the shop to check on my Jeep. The shop door was open and No one was around at all. The Jeep was in a corner about half done at best. I didn’t look real close cause I don’t like walking around someones shop without permission. We drove back home and I called the shop and got voicemail. It said if you need to contact faster text this number. Which I did. Just asked for a update of when it would be done. He called me back stating that he went home for dinner and would return and finish my Jeep and have it done bye 9pm. But wait. Not 10 minutes later he texted me to ask if it was okay to finish it in the morning? I just texted back okay. Let me know.
Insomuch that you provided permission for the extension, from 5PM Friday evening to "in the morning" (Saturday), I'm not seeing anything actionable here, so to speak. Yes, the original agreed-upon completion time was missed, but the shop owner was accessible and communicative as circumstances called for.

I understand the frustration over the missed deadline, truly. As the installation of supplemental vehicle lighting is hardly a critical maintenance or repair matter, though, you might consider just inspecting the work when it's done, paying the man and enjoying the new lumens. Done. 👍

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This is a problem? You gave a deadline of Saturday or don't start the job. They accepted that and tried to beat it, getting it done Friday. That didn't work out so you're getting it done by the original deadline you set. And you want to demand something extra for that "inconvenience"? gitdafugouttahere Karen.

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I don't think you have much ground to stand on with regards to complaining. He shouldn't have said it would be done by 5 if it wasn't going to be ready I agree, however, that just sounds like he got ahead of himself a bit and over promised, it happens. More so you should be inspecting his work. If the guy does good with it may be worth the short delays! Either way, if this turned you off I would keep it to myself and just not use them again.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
rule number one in business is to under promise and over deliver , not over promise and under deliver
Stretch goals vs. drop dead time. So yes, technically, but that's minor. I get the frustration but:
Next time, Do It Yourself. You might learn at least 2 things ; One sometimes the " simple" jobs are not, two, maybe a little respect for actually doing something yourself.
Exactly this. Not a dig at the OP, but this mentality is like the manager that sits over your shoulder at work hassling you to "get it done faster/ cheaper" but doesn't comprehend the actual job you're doing, and insists you "work through lunch" even though you've been at it for 7/12 hour shift and haven't eaten/ taken a break since you walked in an hour before hour 1. Don't EVER be that person.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Next time, Do It Yourself. You might learn at least 2 things ; One sometimes the " simple" jobs are not, two, maybe a little respect for actually doing something yourself.
Yeah I just built my roof rack and installed all my camping gear. The roof rack was ridiculous. Makes me appreciate the labor behind it all.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been in my own business since 1988.
Sometimes things just don’t go as planned. You made the right call by letting the guy go home at 9. If that were me doing an install and the customer pushed me? You’re not getting my heart and soul in your job so there’s the first mistake.
If you chew me down on the price? First I’m gonna tell you no and second ( trust me it always happens) when you really need me next time, I’m not gonna return your phone call, answer if I know it’s you, or if you get me? Sorry, too busy.
Sponsored