jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
A about a month ago I talked to the shop about installing some lights I was going to get for Oracle. I’m only in town 2 days a week. Friday and Saturday. So the work has to be completed by Saturday. (Today) the shop has it now. When we talked he said he could have it done by 5pm Friday if I dropped it off in the morning. He said “you can drop it off early but I don’t come in until 10am”. The lights he is installing are the sidetrack and rear bumper reverse lights. I’m not disagreeing about how much we agreed on but how people work.
So last night near 7pm me and the wife went to the shop to check on my Jeep. The shop door was open and No one was around at all. The Jeep was in a corner about half done at best. I didn’t look real close cause I don’t like walking around someones shop without permission. We drove back home and I called the shop and got voicemail. It said if you need to contact faster text this number. Which I did. Just asked for a update of when it would be done. He called me back stating that he went home for dinner and would return and finish my Jeep and have it done bye 9pm. But wait. Not 10 minutes later he texted me to ask if it was okay to finish it in the morning? I just texted back okay. Let me know.
So for me should I ask for some discount for not finishing it when we agreed on? I could have done it myself but I wanted to use someone local to do the work. Really it was the stimulus money I was spending. What really bugs me is people not doing what they said they would. I don’t care about how you book your work but do what you said you would. I am the type that I would have never stopped till the work is done. Period.
sorry it’s so long rant over.

117D7785-C934-4099-A05D-724D23FBEE17.jpeg
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
"...work has to be completed by Saturday." Sounds like it will be. What's the problem?

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
"...work has to be completed by Saturday." Sounds like it will be. What's the problem?
Agreed, you gave him all day Saturday to work on your Jeep and seem to be upset it wasn't done Friday afternoon. It sounds like you are not doing what you said you were agreeing on, that being Saturday pickup.

Now if he says he can't get it done Sat, then you may request some kind of break or compensation, rotate tires or something. Until then I would relax a bit, there are a lot of things to get worked up about. An independent auto shop not finishing something early is very low on the list for me:)

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
In addition to above posts, you also agreed via text to the delay. He asked if that was okay, indicating a willingness to go back and work on it that night.

But wait. Not 10 minutes later he texted me to ask if it was okay to finish it in the morning? I just texted back okay. Let me know.
Sounds like you are being treated fair.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
So the government is paying for your mods with taxpayer money.
You said you need it by Saturday.
He first said Friday but then changed to the original deadline of Saturday, which you agreed.

I don’t understand how anyone could be upset with this situation unless it’s not completed by Saturday. 🤷‍♂️

Jeep Wrangler JL Using local 4x4 shop. Not doing what they said. Advice D2E6983B-BBFB-4010-ACFE-EBC9C2A7E2F6

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So the work has to be completed by Saturday. (Today) the shop has it now. When we talked he said he could have it done by 5pm Friday if I dropped it off in the morning.
First, you indicate the work has to be done by Saturday, which it seems it will be.

Second, the shop says "he could have it done by 5pm Friday". To me that's not a 100% guaranty that the work "would" be done.

Seems like a small local shop. Give the guy a break. You yourself said you had until Saturday the latest.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Worry about the quality of the job. Sometimes take a bit longer than others, plus the Jeep will be done on Saturday. Why would you request a discount? give the mechanic a break. Why would he work on a Friday night? When he said hed go back and finish by 9PM I wouldve told him not to worry and we could stick to the original deadline.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I understand exactly what you are saying. If you give your word and do not call or text to let your customer know some problem came up or you just aren't going to finish is just normal customer service. You mentioned you had 2 days so needed it done by Saturday and that is smart because this happens a lot. No discounts or extras but beyond small or large if you cannot trust someone's word or handshake I'd say thank you and try another shop after letting whomever you pick it up from that you are paying for the customer service and labor. If I am at work and say I am going to finish a project and don't let my management know that I need an extension - can you guess how it goes for me. The Golden Rule has been lost - Treat others as you wish to be treated.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t see the issue, either. If the guy completes the work by the agreed-upon deadline, and does good work, what’s there to be upset about?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
To gain some perspective, the OP should try his Jeep dealer: he will be lucky to have the work done right, let alone get a text message or the Jeep back within 48 hours... 😫

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
Wow....tough crowd.

Dude said it would be done by 5pm it should have been done by 5pm .....shouldn't take a pro all day to do simple light install.

Next time do the stuff you can do yourself, save the money and spend it on the stuff you can't do yourself

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wow....tough crowd.

Dude said it would be done by 5pm it should have been done by 5pm .....shouldn't take a pro all day to do simple light install.

Next time do the stuff you can do yourself, save the money and spend it on the stuff you can't do yourself
Ah yes, the old “Im the only customer he has” mentality. You’ll be continuously disappointed in life.
Sponsored