Using "Jeep" as part of name of a group

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 ZHP / WK2 / JLUR
On FB i am part of a group that was previously called "JeepOn New England" and today it changed its name to "New England Off Road" because apparently Jeep / FCA sent the group owner a cease and desist for using Jeep in the name. What's up with that? Are companies (Jeep in this case) being petty or is there a valid reason for not allowing people to use it?

Advertisement

Anonymous

First Name
T
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
In this day and age of cancel culture one could conclude the move to be preemptive. If anyone’s name gets attached to what the overlords would considered to be wrong think you’re f’d. Not saying y’all are irresponsible or doing anything at all. Just spitballing.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 F-150, 2020 BMW GSA, 2015 HarleyRG
Build Thread
Link
Jeep, Harley-Davidson, Jimmy Buffet, etc. The list goes on about companies or people that send their attorneys after the little guy in the name of protecting their "property" or name. I usually don't agree with the heavy handed tactics sometimes used.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR, '16 Grand Cherokee Overland, '12 BMW 328i cab
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to be a trend lately. Infidel Jeepers has been around for a long time with multiple state groups and were forced to change to Infidel Offroad last year.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Even if Jeep is an advocate and fan of a club or company's products, they have to defend the exclusive use of the name, else it may get diluted to the point that it becomes a generic term.

If a business doesn't show interest in protecting its trademarks, it can lose the exclusive use of that trademark, and the trademark loses a specific product meaning, e.g. https://www.consumerreports.org/con...s-that-have-become-victims-of-genericization/

Others, like market competitors, can appropriate the trademark if it becomes generic. I know it's far-fetched, but imagine if jeep became known as a class of vehicle (maybe it is already?), like shooting-brake, or saloon, or coupe. Then Ford could announce "The NEW Ford Bronco, best jeep for the money!"

Advertisement

Next Venture Motorsports

Advertisement