Sponsored

Using Dryer 220 outlet for Level 2 charger

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
I am new at the PHEV scene and owning a 4xe have come to the conclusion that the only way to fully appreciate the gas mileage benefits is by plugging in frequently. Don't want to spend exuberant amount on an electrician installing a level 2 charger (wire run and labor) - Northern California prices. The dryer in my laundry room - which is 30 feet away uses a 220V outlet. We don't use the dryer all the time and there is plenty of opportunity when it's not in use.

Can I simply plug in my level 2 charger in the dryer outlet? Do I need to worry about a certain amperage or using a certain brand of level 2 charger? Thanks,
Sponsored

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Check our Switchvolt or Neocharge. This is what I will be doing. Electricians want $1500 for a dedicated line which isn’t worth it for the savings.

OP
OP

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
Thanks - appreciate the response.
@Sjbiss - I think I can do without the splitter as it's rare to have both the dryer and charger running at the same time. Simply unplugging one will work.

Any recommendations for a level 2 charger with long 30 foot cable?

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
Thanks - appreciate the response.
@Sjbiss - I think I can do without the splitter as it's rare to have both the dryer and charger running at the same time. Simply unplugging one will work.

Any recommendations for a level 2 charger with long 30 foot cable?
I went with the Grizzl - e. Middle of the road in terms or pricing but seemed to have solid reviews.

I have 7 people in my house so the dryer is in use quite a bit!

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
You can also make this easy on yourself and get a splitter for the outlet to keep your dryer and your charging cable plugged in instead of swapping them back and forth.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Most dryer outlets are only 30 amps so about the best you could charge would be 24 amps. The Grizzl-e has settings for 16-24-32-40 amps.

OP
OP

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
@Shasta_Steve this is great info. Thank you. That would increase the charge time to probably 3+ hrs. Looks like I am cornered and may just need to take a dedicated line to my garage for the charger.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I would also be concerned with all the plugging and unplugging loosening the outlet and creating a poor connection. That could become a fire hazard.
Gregj

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Why not just have an electrician do it properly vs messing with the dryer outlet? Spend $50k on the 4XE, but not $500 to have a electrician do some work. I don't get it.

Sponsored

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Why not just have an electrician do it properly vs messing with the dryer outlet? Spend $50k on the 4XE, but not $500 to have a electrician do some work. I don't get it.
not to mention there is a 30% tax credit for such an install up to $1,000 credit as well as some states may offer one as well.

OP
OP

G-StarRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ
It's costing me $2500 to get the job done - (a) everything is x5 in California and (b) the wire run is long for me.
For now I will use public charging - the J adaptor really opens a lot of options, until I can find better alternatives. Thanks.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
It's costing me $2500 to get the job done - (a) everything is x5 in California and (b) the wire run is long for me.
For now I will use public charging - the J adaptor really opens a lot of options, until I can find better alternatives. Thanks.
Ouch.

My house was built in the 50's and it won't be cheap to get anyone to touch any of the wiring internal to the house. The other alternative is to wire it from the sub panel outside on the other side of the house, then run the wires all the way to the carport. Either way, it's not a $500 job.

Eventually a significant portion of the house is going to be rewired but I'm not ready for that yet. I have a couple minor remodels (bathrooms & kitchen) that have to be planned out first so we can get all the electrical work (or as much as possible) done at one time. I don't want to start doing small pieces here and there then have to redo portions of that for other projects because it wasn't all planned out properly to begin with.

Adding an adapter to the dryer outlet is cheap. It saves me from swapping plugs back and forth, and yes, I will have to set the Grizzl-e to 24 amps for now, but it's still more effective than the level 1 charger in the short term and once I get these other projects planned out and the electrical work underway, then I can have a dedicated outlet setup for the charger.