Sponsored

Using Diesel JLUR front springs to correct front bumper/winch sag and keep factory height and geometry?

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
The diesel JL has a higher spring rate for the added weight. I do not want a lift and I was wondering if using the diesel JLUR front springs will help me bring back the sag (3/4") on my 2.0 turbo unlimited Rubicon after steel bumper and winch install. Has anyone done this?
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Yes but probably more than you want though. Typically a steel bumper is 70-150lb depending on what you get, winch 70-100lb. So at most you’ve probably added 250lb, but likely less than 200.
the diesel weighs a lot more and the engine is ~400lb more. So I’d expect you’d get a 1/2 to1in lift from doing so. also I don’t know if the diesel springs are just longer or a stiffer spring rate, I’d assume the latter.

I’ll have my diesel springs for sale soon if you want them. Just waiting on my lift to arrive. Stock springs have less than 100miles on them, jeep is a garage princess right meow. I’d imagine the rears are a bit stiffer too, but I don’t know.

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes but probably more than you want though. Typically a steel bumper is 70-150lb depending on what you get, winch 70-100lb. So at most you’ve probably added 250lb, but likely less than 200.
the diesel weighs a lot more and the engine is ~400lb more. So I’d expect you’d get a 1/2 to1in lift from doing so. also I don’t know if the diesel springs are just longer or a stiffer spring rate, I’d assume the latter.

I’ll have my diesel springs for sale soon if you want them. Just waiting on my lift to arrive. Stock springs have less than 100miles on them, jeep is a garage princess right meow. I’d imagine the rears are a bit stiffer too, but I don’t know.
You’re right, my net added weight was 153 pounds. I don’t mind a extra 1/2”. That will correct the factory rake. I wonder how much diesel rubicons sag after steel bumper and winch. With that number I can calculate more or less how much I will gain. Let me know when you’re selling the sprigs. Thanks.

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re right, my net added weight was 153 pounds. I don’t mind a extra 1/2”. That will correct the factory rake. I wonder how much diesel rubicons sag after steel bumper and winch. With that number I can calculate more or less how much I will gain. Let me know when you’re selling the sprigs. Thanks.
Also, the extra 400 pounds of the diesel is not only in the front so I asume the spring rate is slightly more or the spring is slightly longer.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Also, the extra 400 pounds of the diesel is not only in the front so I asume the spring rate is slightly more or the spring is slightly longer.
The front axle of the Diesel is seeing about 370-390 lbsmore than a 3.6L depending on options and equipment, the only significant difference in the rear is the DEF tank which is small.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The front axle of the Diesel is seeing about 370-390 lbs more than a 3.6L depending on options and equipment, the only significant difference in the rear is the DEF tank which is small.
Thanks for the information. I think there is a group of owners that are not looking for a lift and change all the suspension components with the current 2"+ lifts available. In my case, and I guess many Rubicon owners, just want to stuff 35s but once you start adding weight you loose clearance and travel. Ideally, I would like to see coil springs that correct the added weight but keeping factory height or slightly more (not affecting significantly the geometry). I guess that maybe the suspension manufacturers won't make that much profit if they make these type of springs.

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Thanks for the information. I think there is a group of owners that are not looking for a lift and change all the suspension components with the current 2"+ lifts available. In my case, and I guess many Rubicon owners, just want to stuff 35s but once you start adding weight you loose clearance and travel. Ideally, I would like to see coil springs that correct the added weight but keeping factory height or slightly more (not affecting significantly the geometry). I guess that maybe the suspension manufacturers won't make that much profit if they make these type of springs.
Honestly, that demographic is small. R&D on a spring, plus testing, and going to production is expensive. I honestly don't believe that demographic is strong enough to support buying enough springs to not loose money in the process, even more so when you're competing with $20 spacers.

I wish that development of coils was cheap, then we could have an infinite number of options...

OP
OP
Herson

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, that demographic is small. R&D on a spring, plus testing, and going to production is expensive. I honestly don't believe that demographic is strong enough to support buying enough springs to not loose money in the process, even more so when you're competing with $20 spacers.

I wish that development of coils was cheap, then we could have an infinite number of options...
Yes, I totally understand that.
Sponsored