Sponsored

Using baking soda to neutralize Road salt on your vehicle?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
OK, coming to the forum experts on this one:
I read this on Google and had never heard this before-
" In a bucket, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with a 1/2 cup of automotive wash and a 1/2 gallon of water. Stir the mixture, and apply the mixture to the undercarriage and any other areas of your vehicle containing road salt or a salt/sand mixture. You can run this just as you do soap threw your power washer. "

This sounds like... nonsense. is there any validity to this?
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Isn't baking soda high in sodium? It is sodium bicarbonate, but I am no chemist just seems strange. It does have a thousand other uses!

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Isn't baking soda high in sodium? It is sodium bicarbonate, but I am no chemist just seems strange. It does have a thousand other uses!
Right, it sounds like some kind of "household cleaner use #1256754" stuff that someone with general chemical knowledge would suggest because they don't have more in depth knowledge of vehicle detailing.
But if it works to fight salt damage... I'll give it a shot.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never seen nor heard of this before.

In my way of taking care of my vehicles, a judicious use of flowing water seems to be the best, and then some time on the jack stands with the creeper underneath for added cleaning/inspection and the occasional touch up or spray with Fluid Film seems to do it for me.

Oldest vehicle I have in my garage is a 2010 Dodge Journey that saw way too many shopping cart dings from 2010-2018 when my wife worked at JoAnn Fabrics. Same vehicle has seen snow and salt each and every year since 2010. It’s held up well due to my efforts, Silly things like cleaning the undercarriage parts, engine and tranny pans and such like that by wiping them down with a lil engine oil. All seems strange till I look at my son’s 2017 Chevy Silverado and see the corrosion that has on the under side.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There's a lot of posts about this and combined they don't make any sense. Everything from use vinegar (a mild acid) to baking soda (a mild alkaline). Neither of which are good for undercarriage protective coatings, which if you're concerned about salt should be the first thing you apply before the salt shows up.

The one thing they all have in common is using a lot of water, which will dissolve salt and remove it from the vehicle. I'm sure this is by far the most effective part of the solution they're creating and the rest is comparatively useless.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I could see using baking soda if you accidentally ran through a puddle of acid. Otherwise, I would think just the soap and water would be fine.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, my JL has been exposed to a lot of salt having being driven on the Bonneville Salt Flats and heavily salted winter roads. Between healthy coatings of Fluid Film every fall and thorough rinsing with water after major salt events (just a gentle rinse with a lawn sprinkler, not a pressure washer which will remove Fluid Film) I have minimal rust.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
from the chemistry perspective, the common ion effect will cause the road salt to be less soluble in the water with sodium bicarb already in it, so it would technically require more water to remove all the road salt...

for a while they were using detergents to pre-treat roads before a storm arrive to prevent/minimize freezing of roads during the storm, and the baking soda might help remove those. however, I did a quick search and don't see that they use those in most places anymore?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
from the chemistry perspective, the common ion effect will cause the road salt to be less soluble in the water with sodium bicarb already in it, so it would technically require more water to remove all the road salt...
Didn't think about that, plausible point. I have also wondered how much of an impact our hard water has on dissolving salt, but i'd think it's still the most effective way to get rid of it.

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Yes, indeed, baking soda absolutely will neutralize road salt on your Jeep. But, there is a very specific process that you have go through in order to get it to work.

First, you have to mix it as directed and apply it to your Jeep using the recommended power washer technique.

Second, while the solution is doing its work, you have to stand in front of your Jeep and draw a pentagram on your driveway in chalk.

Third, while standing in the middle of the pentagram, you have to attach six leeches to each forearm and allow them to withdraw enough of your precious bodily fluids to rebalance and re-harmonize the cosmic relationship between you and your Jeep.

Finally, you have to bark three times like a dog, crow like a rooster twice, then remove the leeches and rinse your Jeep.

Works like a charm.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
Baking soda is used as a buffer for acids, not salts.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Yes, indeed, baking soda absolutely will neutralize road salt on your Jeep. But, there is a very specific process that you have go through in order to get it to work.

First, you have to mix it as directed and apply it to your Jeep using the recommended power washer technique.

Second, while the solution is doing its work, you have to stand in front of your Jeep and draw a pentagram on your driveway in chalk.

Third, while standing in the middle of the pentagram, you have to attach six leeches to each forearm and allow them to withdraw enough of your precious bodily fluids to rebalance and re-harmonize the cosmic relationship between you and your Jeep.

Finally, you have to bark three times like a dog, crow like a rooster twice, then remove the leeches and rinse your Jeep.

Works like a charm.
Okay...I did all this shit TO THE T and it didn't work at all. In fact it looks WORSE! WTF am I doing wrong??!!
Pentagram means octagon, right??
Is there a better how-to available somewhere with pics?
Would a detail shop or car wash do this for me?

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Okay...I did all this shit TO THE T and it didn't work at all. In fact it looks WORSE! WTF am I doing wrong??!!
Pentagram means octagon, right??
Is there a better how-to available somewhere with pics?
Would a detail shop or car wash do this for me?
You could try deleting three of the points from your octagon; but, the most common problem actually involves either not barking convincingly enough or not crowing in a chicken enough manner. Keep trying, perhaps adding a moderately toned "here snipe, here snipe" on occasion. I know you'll get it.
Sponsored