Using a USB CD player in my 2020 JLU

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
OK I will admit it, I am old fashion. I have not learned how to make music thumb drives so they will play on thru my JLU system. My wife showed me, she drive a 2018 JL Sport, how to use my phone but that seems to be a PITA as I will have to transfer music from the CD to my phone so I can plug it in and use it for my JLU. OK, I am a bit lazy also.

However, I do have a portable USB CD player. AH HA! Just put a CD in and viola! music I like played on my portable CD player. WELLLLL, I tired it today and no joy. I started out with the ignition in "AUX", turned on but the engine not running. I selected USB 1, plugged the player in and did not work. Changed the source to USB 2, same thing. Did not try USB three. I tried the CD player OEM cable and a generic USB cable. The tray on the CD player would open and the pilot light would flash but no music. OK maybe the engine has to be running. Nope, same problem, no music from the CD player. As far as I know, the player is functioning.

So the question is this. Is there something I am missing? Can a portable USB CD player be used in a 2020 JLU. Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA!
Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a USB CD player that wasn’t meant to be used as a CD-ROM drive for a PC.
there is a 3.5mm aux connection in the media port of the dash that could be used with a discman.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I had not seen those either, but apparently they do make them. Saw some on ebay that say they are compatible with JLs that have the 8.4" Uconnect. Kinda spendy though.

As sidspider mentioned, there is a 3.5mm aux connection you could use with a male to male headphone cord, or you could rip the CDs to a USB thumb drive (Windows Media Player on your computer should work) and just plug the usb drive into one of the usb ports. Or you could of course put the files on your phone. I ripped all my CDs long ago and put the music on a Micro SD card, which I am able to transfer from phone to phone.

ilike2breakthngs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4XE
You can try a CD walkman and plug it in with an aux cord. The main problem would be changing tracks and stuff, but I found this with a remote -

Gueray CD Player Portable Bluetooth Wall Mountable Walkman Disc HiFi Speakers with Dust Cover with LCD Screen Display Home Audio FM Radio USB Music Player 3.5mm AUX Jack & Remote Control https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08B68M37Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JQJXPP0TQE1H1T9VWT6D

I’d highly recommend just ripping music to a flash disk though. It costs you barely anything and you never have to change the disk.

OP
OP

CJ7 and 4 wheel drive

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Well, you guys answered my question. It is a CD ROM drive. DUHHHHH.

I guess I will have to learn how to do thumb drives and put music on my phone for music. What a PITA.

Or I could find an 8 track player and tapes and put that in. :LOL:
Sponsored