Used Wrangler Unlimited Thoughts

Sqdqo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 silverado 1500
I'm considering a used Wrangler Unlimited for purely secondary use so it doesnt have to be a pristine vehicle but it needs to be reliable. My uses are hunting - fishing- forest exploration in northern Michigan during all seasons.
I am not a mechanic so my hope would be to find a well maintained vehicle that wont immediately start nickle & diming me.
Assuming I am looking at a well maintained properly serviced W/U at what milage do you start getting concerned about the mileage being to high?
Starting at 2007 and running up to say 2013 are there model years better than others? Years to avoid?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I'm considering a used Wrangler Unlimited for purely secondary use so it doesnt have to be a pristine vehicle but it needs to be reliable. My uses are hunting - fishing- forest exploration in northern Michigan during all seasons.
I am not a mechanic so my hope would be to find a well maintained vehicle that wont immediately start nickle & diming me.
Assuming I am looking at a well maintained properly serviced W/U at what milage do you start getting concerned about the mileage being to high?
Starting at 2007 and running up to say 2013 are there model years better than others? Years to avoid?
Hmm, I want to say you want to look at 2012+... Isn't that when the JK was rebooted with the 3.6? Someone will chime in.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
However many people respond to this thread, thatā€™s how many opinions youā€™re going to get.

Whatā€™s your budget? I recommend looking at 2012 or newer, but make sure the ā€˜12 to ā€˜14 ones have had the lifter issue taken care of (others here can explain this better; I despise the JK so couldnā€™t care less what issues it had).

The ā€˜07-ā€˜11 had the 3.8L V6 which was an absolute dog and ruined the JK for me. I hated that engine.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
2012+, manual trans even better.

I had a 2007 JK 2DR was awesome, but then I required a 4dr, that's when I got the 2015 JK 4DR, my only complaint with the 2015 was it lacked the Alpine upgraded system. uConnect 730N was garbage.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The 2007-2011 is actually live able with the 6-speed manual transmission (especially with 4.10 gears) and an absolute dog with the 4-speed automatic.

Some early 2007-09 X models had an optional rear locker and e-disco sway bar package.

2011 was a bastard year stuck with the old 3.8 but new interior

2012+ received not only the 3.6 Pentastar as said above, but also a new 5-speed automatic (WA580 Mercedes unit)

A lot of improvements continued to be made in various years after 2012

i.e twill soft top, redesigned rear glass on hardtop, more comfortable front seats, LED headlights & fog lights

Really it all comes down to budget and what you want to spend.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I think this is a consensus. 2012 or newer and the 3.6.

Now, thatā€™s the official answer I have- but your budget is a different answer. If you are looking for a better price and donā€™t mind turning a wrench- you have a lot of options. Jeep is known for aftermarket, so basically anything works with the right knowledge.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The 3.8 in 2007-2011 was underpowered and guzzles oil. It's very reliable though and plenty of JKs from that time are at 150k+ miles with no engine issues. For a second vehicle I would definitely consider an older JK in good condition unless budget really isn't a concern for you. More importantly than anything I would look for a one owner Jeep with a service history that shows the owner took care of it.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
My 09 has 199K miles on it with no engine issues, but I do take very well care of it and do as much preventative maintenance as possible. Slow yes, but has been very reliable and never once failed or start or left me stranded anywhere. Also helps that I have the lifetime powertrain warranty as well for peace of mind.

Edit - also, mine does not burn oil compared to what some others have experienced. Mine goes through about 1qt of oil every 3K miles. But it might also be leaking from the rear main seal.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Will probably get some flak for this but I think a used toyota tacoma with a camper shell is your best option for your described needs.

For most people that are looking for a reliable jeep, considering that wranglers barely depreciate, youd be better off buying a new wrangler sport if you wanted to stick to the Jeep platform with a higher likelyhood of having a reliable rig.