Sponsored

Used Oil Analysis

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I'm curious if people still do used oil analysis these days. I've never had one done, and change my own oil typically on my vehicles. I figure that I'll use my Jeep Wave oil changes and just climb under before I take it in and grab enough for an analysis. I may just do it for the first two oil changes to make sure the Jeep is breaking in properly. Any advice?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I do and use Polaris labs. I buy my UOA kits from Amsoil.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm curious what is the value of this oil analysis information. Are you looking for specific things, and are there preventative action you can take after seeing the results? Thanks.

Caleb75

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Altitude
I'm curious what is the value of this oil analysis information. Are you looking for specific things, and are there preventative action you can take after seeing the results? Thanks.
You are looking for wear trends to see if your engine is wearing better or worse than similar engines. If certain wear metals are higher than normal it could indicate internal issues inside the engine or even give insight into a coolant leak or failing air filter. It is a great tool to see the overall health of your engine and how effective the oil is working to protect your engine. Blackstone labs also gives you a written overview of the results.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Note that UOAs can be used to some degree to look at wear patterns, but there is an upward limit that a UOA will not catch (outside of the test parameters) and there are variables that will cause the wear metals to fluctuate. It takes MANY UOAs using the same "everything" to establish trends (on the order of 50+).

With that said, what a UOA IS very good at is looking at the health of the oil (its true intention). It will allow one to can catch coolant leaks early, see if the oil is remaining within the intended viscosity, look at the Total Base Number (TBN) to see if the oil is still capable of neutralizing acids, if the air filter is bypassing etc.
Sponsored