Used JLUR prices... how long

murphys2ndlaw

First Name
i
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Question, I want a JLUR w/ decently optioned 30-45k miles.
Problem is my budgets around $35k...

If you had to make an educated guess. How long till they hit that price range?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Question, I want a JLUR w/ decently optioned 30-45k miles.
Problem is my budgets around $35k...

If you had to make an educated guess. How long till they hit that price range?

Thanks!
2018s with high mileage might be getting there soon but damn they really hold value something fierce.

best bet - do some excel dickery. You just need some data.

Find as many 2018 and 2019 JLURs for sale as you can. Average the list price (excluding any obvious outliers) and summarize them in a table in excel. Plot the average list price against years of age and have excel add an exponential trendline and project it in future. Take a gander at that trendline and see where it hits $35k. That’s how many years old a 2018 JLUR will need to be to hit an average of $35k list price.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I was searching my area for used JLUR with under 30k miles, V6, auto, hardtop. I found one or two around $38k, most were around $40k. A listing at $38k just might be able to be purchased for close enough to $35k, the only way to know is to get your checkbook ready and start calling and negotiating.

I also did a little research to find out how much depreciation there was by year. This was a very crude study based on listings I was finding. At the low end I was finding only about $1k per year below 2018. So it could be a year or two before they hardtop V6 auto JLUR would hit $35k.

BUT prices vary, your area might be different, you might get lucky, if you want soft top or manual trans you can save a little, etc. More used JLUR should be hitting the market regularly as they come off lease.

And let me add- I did find one at around $38k. If you found what you wanted at $38k, do the best high pressure negotiation you can but don't let that additional $3k stand in your way. I wasn't dead set on a Rubi and my budget was $30k, I ended up with a used Sport for $33k.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler consistently ranks at the top for 5 year resale value because of demand. When I traded in my 8 year old JKUS last year the dealer put it for sale at the original sticker price.

OP
OP

murphys2ndlaw

First Name
i
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Thanks everyone for the input... gonna start call with cash in hand!

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Thanks everyone for the input... gonna start call with cash in hand!
Another suggestion- the talking heads on youtube suggest you not mention paying cash until the price is negotiated. After the price is negotiated then you talk about the payment terms. Sometimes this doesn't work and dealers make their price contingent on using their financing. Supposedly if you talk up front about paying cash they won't negotiate the price down as far.

OP
OP

murphys2ndlaw

First Name
i
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
Another suggestion- the talking heads on youtube suggest you not mention paying cash until the price is negotiated. After the price is negotiated then you talk about the payment terms. Sometimes this doesn't work and dealers make their price contingent on using their financing. Supposedly if you talk up front about paying cash they won't negotiate the price down as far.
Ahh, show the interest then drop cash last min when closing the deal!
Sponsored