Sponsored

Used JLU Sahara 2.0T (accident) price check?

enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Hey all —

Not sure if this is the right section but it looked like the best one I could find.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2020 JLU Sahara with under 3k miles. It was in a minor accident (pic attached) and after repair the inspection/frame all came back clean.

While I would like the option to get into crawling in the future, light to moderate off-road in the summer plus a better winter car than my RWD two-seater daily are the primary goals.

So really two questions: at $37k, is this purchase even sensible? And if I’m willing to go through the work to swap axles/transfer case etc. in the future, will I regret settling on a Sahara vs. either going full Rubi or starting with a more base Sport S?
Jeep Wrangler JL Used JLU Sahara 2.0T (accident) price check? 85BFAE94-C74E-4BB3-BE58-E867B70DEDC8
Jeep Wrangler JL Used JLU Sahara 2.0T (accident) price check? BA48859F-8F33-4513-AFAF-2C92E6CF29E2
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

Hey all —

Not sure if this is the right section but it looked like the best one I could find.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2020 JLU Sahara with under 3k miles. It was in a minor accident (pic attached) and after repair the inspection/frame all came back clean.

While I would like the option to get into crawling in the future, light to moderate off-road in the summer plus a better winter car than my RWD two-seater daily are the primary goals.

So really two questions: at $37k, is this purchase even sensible? And if I’m willing to go through the work to swap axles/transfer case etc. in the future, will I regret settling on a Sahara vs. either going full Rubi or starting with a more base Sport S?
85BFAE94-C74E-4BB3-BE58-E867B70DEDC8.jpeg
BA48859F-8F33-4513-AFAF-2C92E6CF29E2.jpeg
In my opinion, the asking price is a bit high even at that low mileage.

Looks like it took a pretty good hit. Although the frame could be ok, I would be suspect of such claims without my own shop looking at it. A lot of sellers would love to assess frame damage by simply looking at the rails and if there is no dents, etc, then saying the frame is okay. However, you would be surprised how a frame can get torqued from an accident. In its simplest form a Jeep's frame is just a metal rectangle. So imagine whacking one side of the rectangle real hard. Good chance the rectangle gets skewed a bit. That is most common frame damage. Now, a vehicle can roll along the road forever just fine with some minor torquing but you may on very close inspection notice body panels not quite matching up, odd panel gaps, etc.

Basically, why pay $37K for a vehicle with a big question mark on it when you can get the same model brand new for low to mid forties. I just ordered a pretty well optioned 2020 JLUS for low 40's.

The MSRP on the sticker of the damaged jeep says $43K. So if you went to dealer on that same vehicle brand new on the lot, they would likely sell it to you for 39 or 40K. So I feel the seller is basically discounting the cost of the repairs off the price, and not taking into account that the accident history alone devalues the vehicle quite a bit. If whoever buys the jeep wants to sell it in the future they will be the ones having to to take the hit on trade-in or private party sale when the accident history shows up on the carfax.

Under $35K might be worth taking a chance if you really want that exact jeep as optioned, and plan to keep it forever.

On the question of Sahara versus sport, I say if you plan to chop it up for off roading, then get a sport for cheaper and go to town on it, or pay more and get the rubicon with some of that stuff already done for you. Why get the Sahara with bells and whistles you may not need for offroad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
enwave

enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Thanks! This was my gut too. I initially proposed $34.5k before posting here (rough KBB - 9%ish for the accident on the record) but the seller held firm at $37k. That’s when I came here to double check.

I think you are probably on to something with just going for a new Sport and stomaching the extra few thousand.

Really appreciate your thoughts here!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The name of that Jeep was Dixie.

When the vehicle was involved in an accident the former owner was forced to call the insurance company and tell them... “my Dixie wrecked.”

The owner could not then understand why the insurance people wouldn’t take him seriously or even stop laughing.

The moral of this story is to not buy that Jeep. Thank you.

OP
OP
enwave

enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Haha — thanks all.

I ended up finding a 2019 Sport S a few days ago and pulled the trigger on it instead. It had a lot of first year miles, but the deal was much much better and it was still completely stock. Already did quite a bit of work on it and I’m ready to be out and about as soon as this weekend!

Thanks to everyone for the tips here in avoiding that Sahara! Really happy with my purchase.

EBA42C03-F2FA-46A0-81CB-4338901A8669.jpeg
Sponsored