Used a Jeep wave oil change and idk if it's worth the mess

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I’ve only used one of my Jeep wave free oil changes so far, but had zero issues. Coming due for my second one soon, though
 😬

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The 2.0 turbo engine is a better option just for the oil changes alone. Drain plug and filter are side by side so you don't even have to move the drain pan during the process.

I've had 2 "free" oil changes so far and always crawl under and over the Jeep before starting it up at the dealership. I do this right in front of the service department. I think they get the idea....

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Anniversary
I have done all my own maintenance for the last 30 years. Figured I would take mine in for a free one
. I asked for 5 tire rotation, advisor didn’t put that on the service order so it wasn’t done. When I picked my Jeep up after it was completed the service ticket said 0w30 oil, I went back in and they assured me it was the correct 5w30. I get home and see they used an aftermarket filter.
Needless to say I have already changed the oil and filter and rotated my tires correctly. If nothing else my service history has the dealer doing one on it now.

Sponsored

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS
I’m in the same boat this week. Went to dealer Saturday for 1st Jeep Wave oil change and left wondering why i even bother. Nearly 2 hour drive round trip and an 1 hour & 20 minute wait for just an oil change - their first appointment of the day too. Oil is overfilled- looks like 6 qts from the service ticket & half my Saturday wasted. It reminded me - pretty sure I bailed on the free oil changes with my grand Cherokee back in 2012 for same issues.

4C3E9097-31EF-45DB-808C-80096EF2354B.jpeg

Deleted member 59498

I have used wave on 2 jeeps never had a problem. Maybe our dealer is just better and with the 3 dealer competition have to be competent.

As for the 3.6 doesn't it use 5.5 quarts? So would have to bill 6.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I rotate my own tires since I've had bad experiences with service departments and lug nut torques. But I had three oil/filter changes done under Jeep Wave. The first time I changed the oil/filter myself after the complimentary Jeep Wave period, I had a very hard time removing the filter since it was install too tightly at the dealership. Ugh.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have used wave on 2 jeeps never had a problem. Maybe our dealer is just better and with the 3 dealer competition have to be competent.

As for the 3.6 doesn't it use 5.5 quarts? So would have to bill 6.
Nope, exactly 5. It takes about 5 min for the dipstick to read correctly and I think that's where some of this confusion lies.

Sponsored

jdecosta

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
Same horrible work also. Had 3 lug nuts that were finger tight. Had to torque them to spec NONE were even close. They used a cheap ass NAPA Gold filter NO Mopar. And finally overfilled the oil. Called the service manager and was he shocked this happened. He said they have a torque wrench in the service bay and it should have been done. They HAVE the Mopar filter in stock and does not know why the NAPA one was used. He said he will make it right on the next change. We will see.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My '21 Hella only had 6K on it when I sold it after 2 months to Carvana. Thus it only had one dealer provided oil change at 5K. They slopped oil on the beauty cover and some underneath. Nothing major, but disappointing.

My '22 Hydro now has 12K and two dealer provided oil changes after 5 months. Both times things were left clean.

Interestingly tho, the first time the dipstick showed about 3/8" overfill.

The second time the level is dead nuts on.

I'll do the dealer route one last time, then it's all me, Pennzoil and Wix every 5K.
Yup
started doing my own oil changes after my free ones were over. It’s really quite an easy task especially with the oil filter dropping in from the top. Enjoyable too
idk I like inspecting my oil after it’s in the pan.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Same horrible work also. Had 3 lug nuts that were finger tight. Had to torque them to spec NONE were even close. They used a cheap ass NAPA Gold filter NO Mopar. And finally overfilled the oil. Called the service manager and was he shocked this happened. He said they have a torque wrench in the service bay and it should have been done. They HAVE the Mopar filter in stock and does not know why the NAPA one was used. He said he will make it right on the next change. We will see.
“Make it right on the next change”? If you’re getting free oil changes (jeep wave) then they should’ve given you a parts in-store credit for the amount of an oil change. If you had to pay, they should’ve given you a full or partial refund.
What’s this “make it right” next time stuff? 😒

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have done all my own maintenance for the last 30 years. Figured I would take mine in for a free one
. I asked for 5 tire rotation, advisor didn’t put that on the service order so it wasn’t done. When I picked my Jeep up after it was completed the service ticket said 0w30 oil, I went back in and they assured me it was the correct 5w30. I get home and see they used an aftermarket filter.
Needless to say I have already changed the oil and filter and rotated my tires correctly. If nothing else my service history has the dealer doing one on it now.
Cmon man
if they can’t get the oil changes right
SMH.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
What the service advisor said:
“Sorry. We’ll make it right next time.” 😇

What the service advisor was actually thinking:
“Yeah. See you in another 5000 miles, sucker. I won’t be working here by then anyway because the Ford Bronco dealership down the road is hiring and they pay better!”😈
Sponsored