Use TPMS for PSI or Pressure Gauge?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
In my quest to find a decent PSI, I noticed that my pressure gauge is off from the dash gauge, and I don't know who's right. I think it's the dash... I bought a digital reader and have it down to 36 PSI. My dash display shows 38 PSI. Does 2 psi matter? Who knows, but I will say that dropping it from 40 psi to the 38 psi has had a huge affect on control.

With a stock JLUR, the sticker on the door says 37psi. Do I trust the computer and TPMS to display the correct pressure, or my tire pressure gauge? Also, how frequently does the TPMS update the numbers on the dash? Some cars you have to drive around the block, but I've heard that it may also do it in a few seconds without driving.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Does 2 psi matter?
Yes.

Do I trust the computer and TPMS to display the correct pressure, or my tire pressure gauge?
My TPMS numbers match my analog gauge. You may want to try a different gauge.

Also, how frequently does the TPMS update the numbers on the dash? Some cars you have to drive around the block, but I've heard that it may also do it in a few seconds without driving.
Mine updates nearly instantaneously. I can fill my tires and the numbers increase as I’m filling.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
I was thinking the same exact thing this week. I have 3 different gages and none read the same. The one that does read the same as the TPMS is my digital Harley gage. That gauge is set up better for the bikes tires and not the Jeeps.

I'm still trying to figure out the Tire Fill Alert on my Jeep. It seems to work fine on my wife's Cherokee but I'm beginning to believe, by reading the owner's manual, that it is working as it should. I just need to be more patient as it says the system will be active once it senses an increase in tire pressure.

I also read in the manual that it may take up to 20 minutes above 15 mph to properly register. Guess I'll be shopping for an accurate tire pressure gage tomorrow, one that works well with the Jeep tires.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I was thinking the same exact thing this week. I have 3 different gages and none read the same. The one that does read the same as the TPMS is my digital Harley gage. That gauge is set up better for the bikes tires and not the Jeeps.
I bought the AstroAI Digital Tire gauge from amazon, link below. It works well, other than the gauge reading 36.1 vs the 38 on the dash. Also, despite it reading the 36.1 all the way around, one tire on the dash gauge is a psi higher.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07528LFCT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also read in the manual that it may take up to 20 minutes above 15 mph to properly register. Guess I'll be shopping for an accurate tire pressure gage tomorrow, one that works well with the Jeep tires.
Let me know what you find. I prefer a digital, as it's more easier to read than a manual one. I didn't see that 15mph up to 20 minutes in the manual, but that's been my experience with other vehicles. Even with the Jeep, it seems like when I would lower it, it wouldn't fully register until I drove half way around the block.
Sponsored