Sponsored

use of reed switch for KC hood lights?

nositting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS
I know this might be a little excessive but I like learning new things...

I’m wondering if I could wire up KC hood cyclones via a Reed switch so that they came on automatically when the hood was raised? It looks like a Reed switch could handle the amperage of two cyclones and do this without a relay. Again, i know a regular switch would work just fine and I may still go that route, I’m just curious. Interested in your thoughts and thanks!
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I know this might be a little excessive but I like learning new things...

I’m wondering if I could wire up KC hood cyclones via a Reed switch so that they came on automatically when the hood was raised? It looks like a Reed switch could handle the amperage of two cyclones and do this without a relay. Again, i know a regular switch would work just fine and I may still go that route, I’m just curious. Interested in your thoughts and thanks!
I would try it with the Reed's in there just to be different. There's no reason why it wouldn't work. The gap would stay roughly the same through the life of the switch and they won't get too dirty to now work, especially if you wipe them down from time to time. I say go for it. Even if it doesn't work like you want, throw a relay in there.

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I would try it with the Reed's in there just to be different. There's no reason why it wouldn't work. The gap would stay roughly the same through the life of the switch and they won't get too dirty to now work, especially if you wipe them down from time to time. I say go for it. Even if it doesn't work like you want, throw a relay in there.
Could always have the reed trip a relay switching the lights so the current is on the relay.