Sponsored

USB Ports failing?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
For me, the USB-A to USB-C cable wears out internally. New cable, Android Auto comes right back.
Sponsored

csmatthews99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Wanted to give a quick update on my experience. Dealer replaced the radio and no good. Ordered another Media Hub, this time the part number that includes a new cable. Still no good. Ordered up just the cable and replaced that, and fixed. Seems odd that a new cable would be faulty, but there you go. A little frustrated that it took 2 trips to get it resolved, this 2nd one was nearly two weeks. Ultimately, it's working at this time and I'm grateful to get out of the loaner Ram and back into my Wrangler.

Brand new 2020 JLU here and none of the USB (media hub or console) ports work. Second trip to the dealer this week (couldn't figure it out first time around - 'guessed' at a new Media Hub) and after 2 days troubleshooting they ordered a new (crappy) 5" radio.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
This USB thing can be very wonky.....Have constantly had issues over the past few years in various vehicles.

Really irritates me they don't leave CD players in the cars as I've never had any issues with those. Can't get much easier than just popping in a CD and going.

USB connections run into all kinds of format issues, and I think the drives/pin connections themselves develop issues fairly quickly if you're changing drives a lot.

I've spent way too much time the past few years on ripping digital files, trying to get USB's to play, trying to get them to play albums in correct running order, tagging artist, album, song information. And it seems to be different for different cars depending on the formats and head units.

At least for me, this whole music thing has been my absolute biggest frustration with my cars the past few years as it's tough to get things how you really want them sometimes. I'm probably lame but I much preferred vehicle entertainment systems 4-5 years ago to the ones today. The best ones were the ones that gave you options for CD, Aux, Bluetooth and USB....That way everybody won.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This USB thing can be very wonky.....Have constantly had issues over the past few years in various vehicles.

Really irritates me they don't leave CD players in the cars as I've never had any issues with those. Can't get much easier than just popping in a CD and going.

USB connections run into all kinds of format issues, and I think the drives/pin connections themselves develop issues fairly quickly if you're changing drives a lot.

I've spent way too much time the past few years on ripping digital files, trying to get USB's to play, trying to get them to play albums in correct running order, tagging artist, album, song information. And it seems to be different for different cars depending on the formats and head units.

At least for me, this whole music thing has been my absolute biggest frustration with my cars the past few years as it's tough to get things how you really want them sometimes. I'm probably lame but I much preferred vehicle entertainment systems 4-5 years ago to the ones today. The best ones were the ones that gave you options for CD, Aux, Bluetooth and USB....That way everybody won.
Ummm.. We are talking about CarPlay/Android Auto here...

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I was having the same issue. Standard USB to phone I could get android Auto. USB c to USB c no go. Bought an Anker cable worked once or twice than nothing. Connected my wife's phone with the Anker and hers worked perfectly. Somebody on this site recommended MOS cable. Bought it and connected usb c to usb c and it works perfect with my google phone.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonMSN

JasonMSN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So I took my rig in for a USB port replacement today, and they tried it and STILL no-go. Said somehow it affected the radio, so they are going to replace the radio. Ughh.... Glad I have the MaxCare warranty as I forsee this happening again in my future...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I took my rig in for a USB port replacement today, and they tried it and STILL no-go. Said somehow it affected the radio, so they are going to replace the radio. Ughh.... Glad I have the MaxCare warranty as I forsee this happening again in my future...
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares

Jsthvngdtm647

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s 2dr
I have the same issues I have a Apple lightning cord always plugged in my console and periodically it won’t work I pull it out and put it in the dash then it recognizes it then I can go back to the center console?

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I had the same issue. Carplay had been working, then became sporadic, then stopped, then other ports stopped. The dealer replaced the USB in the console, which I believe is the hub for all of the ports, and it now works fine again. That's the only problem I've had in 18 months, but it does have me considering the extended warranty.

JLAero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Just picked up a 2021 Sahara for our daughter today from a dealer about 25 miles away. That little voice in the back of my head suggested that I bring a USB cable for her iPhone so we could check out Apple Car Play on the way home. Unfortunately, I didn't listen to that voice... Got it home and she was ready to hit the Black Friday sales and plugged her phone cable into the USB port in the center console. Nothing... Wouldn't charge the phone or connect to Car Play. We tried three different cables and none worked in the center console. We checked the other three USB ports - main dash and two in the back - and they all worked. Car Play worked with the main dash USB port. Took it back to the dealer two hours after we left and they confirmed it didn't work. Couldn't fix it, so we may have to wait until the Christmas holidays and she's back home and can leave it at the dealer for a day or two if needed. Not the best first Jeep experience for the kid two hours into the ownership...

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
2021 here as well. Sometimes both of my android auto capable usb ports will stop working entirely. No charging or anything. Usually they're out for 8-24 hours and then randomly start working again. I've taken it to the dealer, they magically work every time I go in. I have to carry a cigarette lighter port charger with me at all times. Just biding my time until I can throw this junk Uconnect unit in the trash and put a legitimate stereo in it.
Sponsored