Sponsored

USB port was working now it isn’t sorta...

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares
Thank you @JeepCares . If you've got any trouble shooting guides or advice from technicians, I'd love some direction. With the current circumstances in both my own life, and the world, I can't really afford to drop my Jeep off at a dealer and either wait for them to check it out, or be without my own vehicle for an unknown amount of time. Maybe when things settle down at home (i.e. baby#2 arrives), and I bring it in for the clutch recall, until then, I need to have it ready to go.

So, it happened to me again today. Seems CarPlay was having trouble staying connected via USB2. Connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected again, then seemed like it was trying to connect to carplay but couldn't. I checked the screen, and although it hesitated for a minute or so, it was responsive when I was cycling through screens and pressing stuff. HVAC manual controller (below the screen) worked, no change. I opened the console and checked, USB 2 had light, and the phone actually registered as charging, but would not play music through the Jeep- only from the phone speaker. I unplugged it, turned on bluetooth, it connected and had no issues. Based on these tests, since the phone still reads the USB charging connection while plugged in but Carplay was unresponsive, I 'm leaning more toward a software issue, specifically: CarPlay I think something with Carplay is crashing the system. Everything else seems to work fine the rest of the time. I'm not ruling out UConnect just yet, but the bluetooth and Sirius Satellite seemed to work just fine. For reference, Phone is a brand new iPhone 11 running iOS 13.4 (whatever the most current update is).

Time to do some more digging. Additional information welcome.
Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you @JeepCares . If you've got any trouble shooting guides or advice from technicians, I'd love some direction. With the current circumstances in both my own life, and the world, I can't really afford to drop my Jeep off at a dealer and either wait for them to check it out, or be without my own vehicle for an unknown amount of time. Maybe when things settle down at home (i.e. baby#2 arrives), and I bring it in for the clutch recall, until then, I need to have it ready to go.

So, it happened to me again today. Seems CarPlay was having trouble staying connected via USB2. Connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected again, then seemed like it was trying to connect to carplay but couldn't. I checked the screen, and although it hesitated for a minute or so, it was responsive when I was cycling through screens and pressing stuff. HVAC manual controller (below the screen) worked, no change. I opened the console and checked, USB 2 had light, and the phone actually registered as charging, but would not play music through the Jeep- only from the phone speaker. I unplugged it, turned on bluetooth, it connected and had no issues. Based on these tests, since the phone still reads the USB charging connection while plugged in but Carplay was unresponsive, I 'm leaning more toward a software issue, specifically: CarPlay I think something with Carplay is crashing the system. Everything else seems to work fine the rest of the time. I'm not ruling out UConnect just yet, but the bluetooth and Sirius Satellite seemed to work just fine. For reference, Phone is a brand new iPhone 11 running iOS 13.4 (whatever the most current update is).

Time to do some more digging. Additional information welcome.
Hi,

I understand. Please reach out when you're able to take your vehicle to the dealership and I would be happy to assist further.

Alison
JeepCares

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thank you @JeepCares . I will keep you posted.

Update: Never pulled Fuse 11. No issues until todate, when it briefly disconnected then reconnected and had no further issues. It always happens on the same section of road. Down hill, at a stop sign, and there are some bumps as it's being re-paved.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you @JeepCares . I will keep you posted.

Update: Never pulled Fuse 11. No issues until todate, when it briefly disconnected then reconnected and had no further issues. It always happens on the same section of road. Down hill, at a stop sign, and there are some bumps as it's being re-paved.
We are always available via private message. Feel free to reach out anytime.

Alison
JeepCares

Sponsored

MoabMaddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Hi guys, wanted to see if Jeep has identified a resolution to the intermittent CarPlay issue outlined in this string. I have had software updates, multiple cables and still have the issue . Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Hi @JeepCares, do you have any insight into a resolution for the CarPlay issues. Thank you
Yes, please. I have tried all of the troubleshooting tips that others here have recommended but still have this issue intermittently.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @JeepCares, do you have any insight into a resolution for the CarPlay issues. Thank you
Yes, please. I have tried all of the troubleshooting tips that others here have recommended but still have this issue intermittently.
Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you please send us a private message with more information?

Alison
JeepCares

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
My USB not working ended up being a short in the media hub which is behind the screen. Mine is working perfect now.

Sponsored

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
Finally an answer for someone...I hope this ends up helping the rest of us with similar issues. Thanks so much for posting!
@JeepCares -tagging you to make sure you see it

19JLRuby

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
System Engineer
My usb in the dash stop working today, the one in my center console apparently has to be used to use Apple CarPlay now, I can’t win, always having issues with Uconnect
And now this, I get for most people this seems minor, but not knowing how anything “electronic” in the Jeep is going to work day by day, does get exhausting and down right depressing.. and due to everyday life getting in the way, I keep having to reschedule my dealership service appointments, and to be honest... I absolutely dread going there, because let’s be honest.. the mechanics are mediocre, and anything electronic related is just way beyond most of their capabilities... and with the gladiator being released now, I truly feel Jeep took a back seat approach to the wranglers.. the proof is in the forums..most people with serious issues are waiting months for replacement parts or solutions,and dealerships are at the mercy of FCA so it’s just a lose lose for everybody right now...:facepalm: @JeepCares
I have had ongoing issues with the Center Console, UConnect, Carplay, phone charging, USB's disconnected, reconnected, disconnected again, for no apparent reason, etc. These issues are so exhausting as you described in this post. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and very recently I had the radio replaced by the Dealership. I asked the dealer to test both USB ports too. They claimed that they tested the ports and found no issues. On my drive home from the dealership, Carplay would not connect. I have periodically replaced USB cables with Genuine Apple iphone cables, pulled the F11 fuse (recycled it). When my Rubicon was at the dealer getting the radio replaced, the dealer gave me a loaner 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee to drive for 2 days. When I plugged my phone up to the USB port in the Grand Cherokee, Carplay connected immediately. I didn't even have to sync my phone with Bluetooth! The Carplay/USB connection stayed and never disconnected during the entire 2 days I had the Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee has the smaller 7" (I think) radio, too. I don't think I have ever had Carplay stay connected for 2 full days in a row. I agree that the Dealerships knowledge of anything electronic or tech related is beyond anything they are capable of analyzing. These UConnect/Carplay /USB/Connector compatibility issues are all over the internet and consuming this JL Forum so FCA must be aware of these issues with the UConnect. I wish they would own up to it, get to the root cause of these electronic./tech issues. When they have manufactured a new tested the radio, USB ports, they should make it an extended warranty item for all 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler owners. Prior to buying our Rubicon, I had a Ford, Ford had an issue with the USB port losing charge and disconnecting,, however they fixed and replaced the USB port through an Extended Warranty item so although my warranty was expired, I was not charged for replacing the USB port.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have had ongoing issues with the Center Console, UConnect, Carplay, phone charging, USB's disconnected, reconnected, disconnected again, for no apparent reason, etc. These issues are so exhausting as you described in this post. I have a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and very recently I had the radio replaced by the Dealership. I asked the dealer to test both USB ports too. They claimed that they tested the ports and found no issues. On my drive home from the dealership, Carplay would not connect. I have periodically replaced USB cables with Genuine Apple iphone cables, pulled the F11 fuse (recycled it). When my Rubicon was at the dealer getting the radio replaced, the dealer gave me a loaner 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee to drive for 2 days. When I plugged my phone up to the USB port in the Grand Cherokee, Carplay connected immediately. I didn't even have to sync my phone with Bluetooth! The Carplay/USB connection stayed and never disconnected during the entire 2 days I had the Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee has the smaller 7" (I think) radio, too. I don't think I have ever had Carplay stay connected for 2 full days in a row. I agree that the Dealerships knowledge of anything electronic or tech related is beyond anything they are capable of analyzing. These UConnect/Carplay /USB/Connector compatibility issues are all over the internet and consuming this JL Forum so FCA must be aware of these issues with the UConnect. I wish they would own up to it, get to the root cause of these electronic./tech issues. When they have manufactured a new tested the radio, USB ports, they should make it an extended warranty item for all 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler owners. Prior to buying our Rubicon, I had a Ford, Ford had an issue with the USB port losing charge and disconnecting,, however they fixed and replaced the USB port through an Extended Warranty item so although my warranty was expired, I was not charged for replacing the USB port.
Hi,

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares

19JLRuby

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
System Engineer
Hi,

Alison
JeepCares
Hi Alison, I would very much like some assistance with this ongoing and frustrating issue. Mostly, I would like to know what you can help me with to fix this UConnect/Carplay/USB Port issue. I am at my witts end with this and believe it is completely inexcusable that Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep/Mopar won't fix it.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I been dealing with this issue for 2 years now ever since buying the Jeep back in 2018. The disconnect/connect drama is a daily occurrence for me, and I’m always fiddling with the usb connectors trying to get it to work and it’s exhausting and distracts me while driving. Sometimes it would disconnect and never recognize my device again until I pull fuse F11. Which means I have to pull over, and flip my hood on the side of the road. Not fun.

I brought me Jeep in to the dealers for an oil leak and asked them to also take a look at the USB issues. they told me they don’t have a new update for my radio and they couldn’t replicate the issue.
Sponsored