US tax credits and the pending bill [Warning: NO POLITICS]

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
(Cross posted this elsewhere on the internet but I thought others might want to pick this apart)

tl;dr. If you make less than $400,000, and order a 4xe that costs less than 69K, you would get $8,500 (or $9,000) if this passes.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The current house bill due for a vote and pre-reconcilation is here and the consumer credit discussion begins at page 1240, though by all means read the entire thing. I apologize for the formatting. Blame Congress.

The way I read it, the 4xe qualifies for (these items are additive):

(2) BASE AMOUNT.—The amount determined under this paragraph is $4,000. YES=$4000

(3) BATTERY CAPACITY.—In the case of a new
qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle, the
amount determined under this paragraph is $3,500
if—
(A) in the case of a vehicle placed in service before January 1, 2027, such vehicle draws
propulsion energy from a battery with not less
than 40 kilowatt hours of capacity and has a
gasoline tank capacity not greater than 2.5 gallons, and
(B) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after December 31, 2026, such vehicle
draws propulsion energy from a battery with
not less than 50 kilowatt hours of capacity and
has a gasoline tank capacity not greater than
2.5 gallons.
NO = gas tank more than 2.5G, also battery capacity is only 17.3 kWh.

(4) DOMESTIC ASSEMBLY.—In the case of a
new qualified electric drive plug-in vehicle which satisfies the domestic assembly qualifications, the
amount determined under this paragraph is $4,500. Assume yes = $4,500.

(5) DOMESTIC CONTENT.—In the case of a
new qualified electric drive plug-in vehicle which satisfies domestic content qualifications, the amount determined under this paragraph is $500.

-----Later definition: (2) DOMESTIC CONTENT QUALIFICATIONS.—
The term ‘domestic content qualifications’ means,
with respect to any model of a new qualified plug-
in electric vehicle, that vehicles of that model are
powered by battery cells which are manufactured in
the United States as certified by the manufacturer
at such time and in such form and manner as the
Secretary may prescribe

Don't know = ???

----Limitations

Then there is an income limitation. If you make less than $400,000, this does not apply but take a look if you make more than that.

Then there is a price limitation, which in short says if your vehicle is more than 69K, no credits at all (Rubicons and HAs can go above this so talk to your dealer as you build and make sure the price works) :

(1) IN GENERAL.—No credit shall be allowed
under subsection (a) for a vehicle with a manufac
turer’s suggested retail price in excess of the appli
cable limitation.

(2) APPLICABLE LIMITATION.—For purposes
of paragraph (1), the applicable limitation for each
vehicle classification is as follows:

(B) SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES.—In the
24 case of a sport utility vehicle, $69,000.

tl;dr. If you make less than $400,000, and order a 4xe that costs less than 69K, you would get $8,500 (or $9,000) if this passes.

This page has a good summary of the two bills pending and that need reconcilation. It's Tesla biased but you get the gist.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Legit question - Why does every thread that has a somewhat political topic get shutdown completely? This a valid discussion that involves Jeeps and political issues, but I'm sure this thread will be dead within a half hour. I've seen political discussions on here get spirited, but nothing I thought was over any line. A while back I made a totally humor-based post about Biden bragging about his planned 4xe mods and it got deleted too. Seems it goes a bit far sometimes.

BTW here is Biden showing you what size tires he is planning on installing:
Jeep Wrangler JL US tax credits and the pending bill [Warning: NO POLITICS] 1635453080023

And here is Biden indicating the height of the lift he wants:
Jeep Wrangler JL US tax credits and the pending bill [Warning: NO POLITICS] 1635454540770

And here is Biden showing you youngsters how navigation worked "in his day":
Jeep Wrangler JL US tax credits and the pending bill [Warning: NO POLITICS] 1635870520530

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Either give a tax credit or not without regard to domestic, foreign, union, not union, vehicle price, income level, gas tank size, battery size, range or other political considerations

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Debating if I should wait until 2022 4xe, or just go buy a 2021 next week

Sponsored

RidgebackWrangler

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Prius LE, 2021 Toyota Prius Prime
The problem ive been finding in CA is most of the dealers at marking up 10K because that is about the amount in total of all the rebates you get back. You have to buy it in CA if you want some of the CA specific rebates.

sethz

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
(Cross posted this elsewhere on the internet but I thought others might want to pick this apart)

Correct me if I'm wrong. The current house bill due for a vote and pre-reconcilation is here and the consumer credit discussion begins at page 1240, though by all means read the entire thing. I apologize for the formatting. Blame Congress.

The way I read it, the 4xe qualifies for (these items are additive):

(2) BASE AMOUNT.—The amount determined under this paragraph is $4,000. YES=$4000

(3) BATTERY CAPACITY.—In the case of a new
qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle, the
amount determined under this paragraph is $3,500
if—
(A) in the case of a vehicle placed in service before January 1, 2027, such vehicle draws
propulsion energy from a battery with not less
than 40 kilowatt hours of capacity and has a
gasoline tank capacity not greater than 2.5 gallons, and
(B) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after December 31, 2026, such vehicle
draws propulsion energy from a battery with
not less than 50 kilowatt hours of capacity and
has a gasoline tank capacity not greater than
2.5 gallons.
NO = gas tank more than 2.5G, also battery capacity is only 17.3 kWh.

(4) DOMESTIC ASSEMBLY.—In the case of a
new qualified electric drive plug-in vehicle which satisfies the domestic assembly qualifications, the
amount determined under this paragraph is $4,500. Assume yes = $4,500.

(5) DOMESTIC CONTENT.—In the case of a
new qualified electric drive plug-in vehicle which satisfies domestic content qualifications, the amount determined under this paragraph is $500.

-----Later definition: (2) DOMESTIC CONTENT QUALIFICATIONS.—
The term ‘domestic content qualifications’ means,
with respect to any model of a new qualified plug-
in electric vehicle, that vehicles of that model are