Sponsored

US Made Oil Filters?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I am not opposed to using globally manufactured filters, but curious if anyone is using a filter made in the US.

I have these and none of them are made in the US:

FRAM Ultra = Korea
WIX = China (standard WIX)
Hastings = Taiwan
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
AMSOIL still is I think. Some Fram are, some Wix are (including their private brands). But most are outsourced overseas. The only way to make profit selling a $5 product is to pay overseas wages for production, not the $15/hr that lots of folks in the USA feel is the minimum they should be paid for their unskilled labor.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
AMSOIL still is I think. Some Fram are, some Wix are (including their private brands). But most are outsourced overseas. The only way to make profit selling a $5 product is to pay overseas wages for production, not the $15/hr that lots of folks in the USA feel is the minimum they should be paid for their unskilled labor.
I meant specifically for the 3.6L. K&N is made in Korea as well. I will look at a FRAM Tough Guard to see where it is made and perhaps a Purolator Boss too.

stolleee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited, 1970 Toyota FJ40, 2017 MB GLC300, 2017 Impreza Subaru
champ labs manufactures in the usa and sell AutoZone through the STP private label program.

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Oil filters should "Meet or Exceed OEM specification ". The Fram does not. Avoid anything "High Quality". Only use OEM spec. Wix and Baldwin are OEM spec. Not all quality manufacturers make every filter. OEM spec manufacturers have been known to trade back and forth. Last I read the OEM spec manufacturers will not trade with NON OEM spec manufacturers.

Avoid Fram for anything. When buying a used car I'll walk if I see a Fram filter of any kind. Google Fram Fails .

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oil filters should "Meet or Exceed OEM specification ". The Fram does not. Avoid anything "High Quality". Only use OEM spec. Wix and Baldwin are OEM spec. Not all quality manufacturers make every filter. OEM spec manufacturers have been known to trade back and forth. Last I read the OEM spec manufacturers will not trade with NON OEM spec manufacturers.

Avoid Fram for anything. When buying a used car I'll walk if I see a Fram filter of any kind. Google Fram Fails .
The Jeep filters are new to me, but not others. Bang for the buck, there is no filter that outperforms a FRAM Ultra and it exceeds all OEM requirements ( I am speaking of spin-on filters, not cartridge type).

Mopar filters are made by Mann+Hummel (WIX is also now made by M+H) but prior to that Mopar was made by Purolator which has countless examples of filters tearing.

My point is that all of them have had issues at some point or another, so it is hard to find the "best" filter.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
The Jeep filters are new to me, but not others. Bang for the buck, there is no filter that outperforms a FRAM Ultra and it exceeds all OEM requirements ( I am speaking of spin-on filters, not cartridge type).

I checked the Fram Ultra page. I see it references some engineering specs. I did not see "Meets or Exceeds OEM specification ". It's a big deal. Using less than OEM spec oil filter would be an easy warranty denial.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I checked the Fram Ultra page. I see it references some engineering specs. I did not see "Meets or Exceeds OEM specification ". It's a big deal. Using less than OEM spec oil filter would be an easy warranty denial.
Based upon what I know about Mopar filters efficiency and construction, a FRAM Ultra is light years ahead of them and the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act prevents an OEM from denying a warranty because you did not use their brand of filters. I am not concerned in the slightest about that, but would like to use a US based filter, I guess I need to see where Mopar is built.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar filter MO-394 says made in USA on the box
Yep, I saw the same yesterday in WM. I wish I knew the efficiency rating. Thanks for posting.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Oem mopar filter for me, made in USA. factory approved part.
Being very familiar with Allied signal/Fram corporation. Imho would not use a Fram filter on anything !

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oem mopar filter for me, made in USA. factory approved part.
Being very familiar with Allied signal/Fram corporation. Imho would not use a Fram filter on anything !
Allied has not owned FRAM in years and things do change. The FRAM Ultra spin-ons are arguably the best filter on the market for the cost. For me the jury is still out on the cartridge filters.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I meant specifically for the 3.6L. K&N is made in Korea as well. I will look at a FRAM Tough Guard to see where it is made and perhaps a Purolator Boss too.
Check the extra guard filter, too. It outperforms most and is cheap. It could possibly be US made. Fram does have some US manufacturing, as was said before.

I'll look at my M1 filters and see where they are made, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the US.

While Champion has some US manufacturing, they also have overseas sourcing, too.
Sponsored