DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Allied has not owned FRAM in years and things do change. The FRAM Ultra spin-ons are arguably the best filter on the market for the cost. For me the jury is still out on the cartridge filters.
Trico Group, the company that makes the wiper blades, bought Fram at the end of 2018 or beginning of 2019. Fram has changed ownership several times, but their quality has improved markedly over the last decade. We'll see how Trico does, I haven't read of any changes in sourcing yet, though. My guess is that at least for awhile, not much will change.

See my notes above about the construction of the Ultra cartridge XG11665. It is bonded together MUCH stronger than the Mopar/Purolator. I tore a Mopar apart with ease. It was strong enough, but the Fram took large pliers and LOTS of force to tear it apart. I was really shocked. Both the filter media and its bonding to the end caps were super strong.

I'm running a Mobil 1 filter right now because I couldn't pass on the $4 clearance price at Walmart. I'll tear it apart and post pics in the spring or early summer, when I do my next oil change. From close examination unused, it looks to be very well constructed. It just won't filter quite as efficiently as any Fram, but it will be more than good enough.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate that you are trying to buy US made. I try to buy made in USA as much as I can. I ended up using this filter. It is NOT made in USA but has extremely good specs.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...il-ea-oil-filters/?code=EA15K19-EA/?zo=226468
Indeed, most Amsoil filters are very good and 98.7% efficiency at 20um is quite good. FRAM Ultra edges it out a bit and is 1/2 the cost. I will likely go with 5K OCIs and may just use the Mopar as it is made in the US.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Ive been using Fram Ultra cartridges in my Durango 3.6 at 10K oci. Has 78k on it now.

I use Ultras on everything. My vehicles with DI and turbos I do 5K oci but keep the Ultras on for 10k, or 2 oci's.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar doesn't state where it's made though the package is written in 3 languages. The Mobil 1 filter is made in Korea. Personally, I don't care where it's manufactured as long as it meets the specs. If so, I'd be limited to a vehicle prior to 1970 to have all US parts. Walmart had the Mobil 1 in their clearance section for $3.99 each so I bought the last 3.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar doesn't state where it's made though the package is written in 3 languages. The Mobil 1 filter is made in Korea. Personally, I don't care where it's manufactured as long as it meets the specs. If so, I'd be limited to a vehicle prior to 1970 to have all US parts. Walmart had the Mobil 1 in their clearance section for $3.99 each so I bought the last 3.
Strange, on all packages I looked at at WalMart, the Mopar filters state made in the USA. I am not against using non-US filters (I use Mann and Mahle in my Mercedes), but the quality of some of the Asian built filters can leave a lot to be desired. The only other criteria I focus on is the efficiency of the filter. I would prefer all of my filters be 99% @ 20um for efficiency, but not all filters give out this information.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
My mopar filter was made in USA. Fram filters are garbage. Of course allied signal dumped Fram that was my point. Fram has had so many different owners and every time they get a new owner they cut the quality.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My mopar filter was made in USA. Fram filters are garbage. Of course allied signal dumped Fram that was my point. Fram has had so many different owners and every time they get a new owner they cut the quality.
Nothing wrong with the Mopars, but the Fram Ultras have held up to the 3.6 twist better than the Mopar, for me. Much, much harder to tear apart, too. They've produced consistently good results on the used oil analyses, too.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I guess you can find a few out of the tens of millions they sell. I've used hundreds of them, including 4 out of my JL that look like they could handle 3 times the miles I put on them and which did their job, backed up by lab analysis. I tore apart the original Mopar after 2k miles and it was fine, but came right apart without much effort. The first Fram Ultra I used in it required pliers and lots of force to get it to tear apart. It was very difficult. There is no question in my mind that the Fram Ultra is a far stronger, better built filter and that it does an outstanding job of filtering. Not one of them has been junk or even suspect.

Run the Mopar and your engine will likely do very well. However, BITOG forum members tend to agree that the Fram Ultra is among the top filters on the market, if not THE best widely available filter.

In about 5k to 8k miles, I'll be tearing apart the first Mobil 1 filter I've run in the JL. I'll post up on how it compares to the Ultra, including its construction. Should be a fun comparo. I'll bet it does better than the Mopar. Again, I'm not dogging the Mopar. It is fine. It just isn't a premium filter and isn't in the league of the Ultra, or the M1, for that matter. It is more than adequate, though.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Dan Dan the quoting man, must have the last word. Lol.
You win , Unsubscribed and moving on.
Sponsored