Sponsored

Ursa Minor?

Upfront

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangle
Hey!
Just a quick UM update, just got back from a 4k mile round trip from PA to Wyoming and back! Spent every night in the J30 and it was awesome. I know they are pricey but it was AWESOME! Couple lessons learned and was a great first long trip.
Hope everyone is doing well
F28CCADE-76D0-47E0-9FC8-313C54BEC18E.jpeg
Just got word ours will be here this week so the work begins. Glad you had fun with yours.
Sponsored

Helajames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Just got mine last week and have a couple questions for others with the top:

1. I have some sqeeks form around the removable panels, anyone else have this?

2. I the top is noticeably quieter at highway speeds compared to the factory hardtop, However; i have a whistling / wind noise coming form near the drivers head. Anyone else with issues

3. We got some rain this week in San Diego. Was parked with the nose of the Jeep uphill and had a small puddle of water in the drivers footwell.

Thanks

Jim

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
Just got mine last week and have a couple questions for others with the top:

1. I have some sqeeks form around the removable panels, anyone else have this?

2. I the top is noticeably quieter at highway speeds compared to the factory hardtop, However; i have a whistling / wind noise coming form near the drivers head. Anyone else with issues

3. We got some rain this week in San Diego. Was parked with the nose of the Jeep uphill and had a small puddle of water in the drivers footwell.

Thanks

Jim
Jim -
1) I make sure that the panels are closed and fastened. This helps a lot. The other thing (if you want, I did not do it because squeaking is not bad) maybe a few drops of 3:1 oil or a silicone lube around the edges. Another option could be 'teflon tape'. I used to use the teflon tape in my centerboard truck for sailing and the stuff is practically frictionless. I use it all over my sprinter van - which is a rattle trap and it works great.
2) I had the same sound. Drove me NUTS driving back to Texas from San Diego. It is not the seal between the expanding top and the base - but a small gap in the whether stripping between the windshield frane and the base. I used a VERY small bead of silicone in that groove (if you look closely you will see there is a small gap in the gasket right there and on the passenger side too). Whallah!
3) I'll bet the silicone in #2 will fix that gap. YOu don't need to run it all round - just in the visible seam, which should be about 2" in from the side where the base connects to the windshield top.

Hope that helps!

CaliMat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Jim -
1) I make sure that the panels are closed and fastened. This helps a lot. The other thing (if you want, I did not do it because squeaking is not bad) maybe a few drops of 3:1 oil or a silicone lube around the edges. Another option could be 'teflon tape'. I used to use the teflon tape in my centerboard truck for sailing and the stuff is practically frictionless. I use it all over my sprinter van - which is a rattle trap and it works great.
2) I had the same sound. Drove me NUTS driving back to Texas from San Diego. It is not the seal between the expanding top and the base - but a small gap in the whether stripping between the windshield frane and the base. I used a VERY small bead of silicone in that groove (if you look closely you will see there is a small gap in the gasket right there and on the passenger side too). Whallah!
3) I'll bet the silicone in #2 will fix that gap. YOu don't need to run it all round - just in the visible seam, which should be about 2" in from the side where the base connects to the windshield top.

Hope that helps!
I just got mine today and am experiencing the same issues (except for the rain). I'll take look tomorrow, but would you mind sending a picture as to where you put the bead of silicone?

Sponsored

Helajames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the Info, I agree a photo would be great if able.

Last edited:

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Looking at getting one of these and wanted to see if those with it have a long-term review they wouldn't mind sharing? I am a part of the FB group and have been following the posts there. Squeaks and rattles seem to be a pretty common complaint, but I would imagine only the ones with issues are the ones posting so it could appear more prevalent than it actually is. Not sure. I have mine configured and built out to around 12K so definitely a big purchase.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
So far I am thrilled with mine, some squeaks but really not bad. Overall been very very happy with it for the last 2 years

Don_TLR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XR
Looking at getting one of these and wanted to see if those with it have a long-term review they wouldn't mind sharing? I am a part of the FB group and have been following the posts there. Squeaks and rattles seem to be a pretty common complaint, but I would imagine only the ones with issues are the ones posting so it could appear more prevalent than it actually is. Not sure. I have mine configured and built out to around 12K so definitely a big purchase.
Long time owner on my JK and just ordered my second top for the JL. We've camped hundreds of night all around the southwest and Baja, its by far the best mod for a jeep IMHO, the Ursa had 80K miles on top of the jeep and held up great..
I sold the JK as a turn keep rig and the new owner loves it. I can say after years of use it still looked new and so many of those miles were using it off road.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? IMG_3911-1

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate the honest feedback everyone. I have wanted one of these for a very, very long time and since getting my JL I have seriously considered doing one. My kids would absolutely love it!

Sponsored

Don_TLR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XR
Here is the only item that showed wear after ears of use, but probable a lot of that was caused by branches and other items as the jeep had a LOT of pin striping. They sell that seal as a replacement item but never got around to ordering one. I never had an leaks and a little weatherstripping on the panels up top and or a pillow placed on top of the panels removed all/most vibrations from them on washboard roads
Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? jeep-21
Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? Alsrom Lar

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don, thank you for the information. I saw a post from Ursa Minor they are now offering a 3" mattress. Might need to throw that into the build. If I were to order now I would have it in time for my birthday next year. Very tempting.

Helajames

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have had mine for over a year. And do have a couple issues i would look out for:

1. If you park on an upslope and it rains you get water in the drivers footwell. Think it is coming in at the front top corner of the drivers door, i live in San Diego so this has not been that serious for me.

2. The top rubs the top front of the passenger door in cold weather and makes a lot of noise, needs an extra shim on that side

3. Sticking with noise, there is a significant amout of squeaks and rattles but the biggest issue is the wind noise on the front corners, it is significantly louder than the stock top so manage expectations accordingly .

overall quality is very good and they do a good job on the install.

if you are tall this is the best option for roof sleeping as it uses the full length and why i went to this.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'm disappointed they don't offer it for the two-door, as the roofline of a two-door is approximately six feet...but they said it's too short.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I appreciate the honest feedback everyone. I have wanted one of these for a very, very long time and since getting my JL I have seriously considered doing one. My kids would absolutely love it!
I am guessing you may already be familiar with Chris and Venture Forward. If not, there are a lot of videos to give you an idea what having a J 30 on an orange jeep would be like. Enjoy!
https://youtube.com/c/venture4wd
Sponsored