First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A few questions.
1. How do you protect the tent from heating up in the summer from direct sunlight? With regular tents you can put a tarp covering on top to keep the shade over your tent.

2. How do you insulate the tent in the winter? Are there insulation fabrics available for it from ursa minor?

3. Does the mattress come with condensation mat?
Sponsored

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
You gents are killing me. Super jelly jelly jelly...

Couple questions if you're willing:
  1. Will your rigs fit through a normal height garage door? (7 feet, I believe)
  2. Did you re-spring prior to installing the UM? (I presume so for that net weight gain, but...)
    • If so... what did you end up putting on?
  3. You both chose the driver's side for the awning... I've noticed Shontz (Venture4WD) did the same... I am curious about your thought process there. I will likely be solo forever, so it probably makes sense for me to have it over the driver side too, but I am curious how others decide.
  4. Can the access to the top be on either side? I was under the impression they made them with driver and passenger side access hatches.
    • If the access to the top is only on the passenger side, having the awning over there might be useful as well... for easier, sheltered night-time nature calls, etc.
  5. Either of you have the Genesis (or other) dual battery setup to go with it?
Thanks for the info... I'm so damned bored these days I am resorting to retail therapy to stay half sane.

Enjoy those rigs! :jk: :flag:
GrumpyBadger The height on my rig with the Ursa Minor is 7'4" from ground at middle of rear tire up to the rear Yakima rack. That is the highest point overall. So without rack, probably just under 7".

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Just got back in cell service, first night in the J30 was awesome! Got down to 30* and was actually pretty darn cozy in the top. Sounds like all the questions got answered.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
A few questions.
1. How do you protect the tent from heating up in the summer from direct sunlight? With regular tents you can put a tarp covering on top to keep the shade over your tent.

2. How do you insulate the tent in the winter? Are there insulation fabrics available for it from ursa minor?

3. Does the mattress come with condensation mat?
1.Being I just got mine this week I can only say the white top should do a good job reflecting sunlight

2. I just spent last night in it with a low of 30 and it stayed comfortable (had a Kelty 20deg bag and blanket) the UM when closed up is pretty tight

3. No it doesn’t but at least for last night condensation was not a problem

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
You gents are killing me. Super jelly jelly jelly...

Couple questions if you're willing:
  1. Will your rigs fit through a normal height garage door? (7 feet, I believe)
  2. Did you re-spring prior to installing the UM? (I presume so for that net weight gain, but...)
    • If so... what did you end up putting on?
  3. You both chose the driver's side for the awning... I've noticed Shontz (Venture4WD) did the same... I am curious about your thought process there. I will likely be solo forever, so it probably makes sense for me to have it over the driver side too, but I am curious how others decide.
  4. Can the access to the top be on either side? I was under the impression they made them with driver and passenger side access hatches.
    • If the access to the top is only on the passenger side, having the awning over there might be useful as well... for easier, sheltered night-time nature calls, etc.
  5. Either of you have the Genesis (or other) dual battery setup to go with it?
Thanks for the info... I'm so damned bored these days I am resorting to retail therapy to stay half sane.

Enjoy those rigs! :jk: :flag:
Yes I don’t have any lift yet and I have plenty of room, I do plan on 35’s and a 2.5” lift in the future.
4F493133-1819-47D2-8190-C933D284FB4C.jpeg

Honestly choose the drivers side for the awning because that’s what I have seen the most, down the road I would like to get a batwing to cover the rear as well.

A dual battery set up is most likely in the cards but I like to travel so honestly not really planning on staying in one spot more than a day with out driving, I also have been thinking about just a solar panel on the top as well.

They are pricey but I am so far really in love with this Jeep and top, we had 4 of us sleep in the Jeep and kids played guitar and sang songs around a fire last night. It was exactly what I was dreaming it would be!
399C08CB-43B7-445C-9386-5492DCAE1133.jpeg

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1.Being I just got mine this week I can only say the white top should do a good job reflecting sunlight

2. I just spent last night in it with a low of 30 and it stayed comfortable (had a Kelty 20deg bag and blanket) the UM when closed up is pretty tight

3. No it doesn’t but at least for last night condensation was not a problem
Thanks Kirk. Have you looked into GFC usa camper before ordering Ursa Minor?

If so, what are the differences in your opinion?

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance

DizzyIzzy - Just saw your post and looked at GCF website. The GCF product would need to be mounted to a rack on a Jeep. From your pic, nice AEV btw, you would need something like an LOD or other roof rack totally supported by the bumper and front rollbar to take the weight of the tent (which is what GCF is) and the folks in that tent. You would enter from the outside of the vehicle, not the inside like you can with UM top and you would have no power in the tent area, like you do with UM. The UrsaMinor is custom bult to fit just like an OEM hardtop and has beefier full-fiberglass body than the OEM top. Denser material, integrated power, higher R value. Candidly, the GCM really seems to be in the RTT world, not a full replacement top.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score

Well I actually got to see a GFC and the UM (for a JK) side by side a few years ago, and honestly I was much more impressed with UM quality. Not that GFC was bad but for the Wrangler ease of entry and the quality it was not even close in my opinion. Hatch Adventures in Bozeman has JK’s with UM tops and Tacoma’s with GFC if you want to check them out side by side:like:

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
DizzyIzzy - Just saw your post and looked at GCF website. The GCF product would need to be mounted to a rack on a Jeep. From your pic, nice AEV btw, you would need something like an LOD or other roof rack totally supported by the bumper and front rollbar to take the weight of the tent (which is what GCF is) and the folks in that tent. You would enter from the outside of the vehicle, not the inside like you can with UM top and you would have no power in the tent area, like you do with UM. The UrsaMinor is custom bult to fit just like an OEM hardtop and has beefier full-fiberglass body than the OEM top. Denser material, integrated power, higher R value. Candidly, the GCM really seems to be in the RTT world, not a full replacement top.
Thanks. That sliding LOD rack is sweet, especially with my soft top. The more research I'm doing, it feels like the UM would be an overkill for me and it won't fit 3 people. I'm looking for a 3 person tent, that's easy to fold out and have rack space on top so that I can put a kayak or snowboard.

I'm looking at GFC, iKamper and RoofNest for a solution.

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks. That sliding LOD rack is sweet, especially with my soft top. The more research I'm doing, it feels like the UM would be an overkill for me and it won't fit 3 people. I'm looking for a 3 person tent, that's easy to fold out and have rack space on top so that I can put a kayak or snowboard.

I'm looking at GFC, iKamper and RoofNest for a solution.
If you don’t have a ton of stuff in the Jeep we sleep 4 in our Jeep. 2 upstairs and we bought a full size gel mattress topper and with the back seats folded down it’s pretty darn comfortable, that said if you are a tall guy that probably wouldn’t work.
All the Best with your search:like:

Sponsored

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you don’t have a ton of stuff in the Jeep we sleep 4 in our Jeep. 2 upstairs and we bought a full size gel mattress topper and with the back seats folded down it’s pretty darn comfortable, that said if you are a tall guy that probably wouldn’t work.
All the Best with your search:like:
Thanks for the reply. And enjoy the awesome UM setup.

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
My UM is supposed to be ready the week of October 23... That's all I can say. :rock:

EDIT: Ordered in January 2020...

Last edited:

Kirk

Threads
Reaction score
Hey!
Just a quick UM update, just got back from a 4k mile round trip from PA to Wyoming and back! Spent every night in the J30 and it was awesome. I know they are pricey but it was AWESOME! Couple lessons learned and was a great first long trip.
Hope everyone is doing well
Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? F28CCADE-76D0-47E0-9FC8-313C54BEC18E

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hey!
Just a quick UM update, just got back from a 4k mile round trip from PA to Wyoming and back! Spent every night in the J30 and it was awesome. I know they are pricey but it was AWESOME! Couple lessons learned and was a great first long trip.
Hope everyone is doing well
Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor? F28CCADE-76D0-47E0-9FC8-313C54BEC18E
Awesome!! I’m excited to hear your post shakedown trip review!