Sponsored

Ursa Minor Campertop quirks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
Hi everyone

Saw that a bunch of you in here run an Ursa Minor Campertop on your JLUs as well, and as there's not a whole lot out there on tzeh interwebz on these things, wanted to ask you what your experiences with it are.

Reason I'm asking is: I suspect/hope my UM might just be shimmed improperly up front.

1. Is yours truly waterproof?
Mine seems to leak just a teeny bit of water on the driver side rear door. There's often waterdrops to be found on top of the inside panel just beside the window. Was perfectly watertight with the factory softtop, even with a pressure washer at point blank, now it ain't.
=>If not: What did you use to seal up the top section or how did you adjust the shimming? How many shims did you end up putting in up front?

2. Is yours making creaking noises all the time?
Mine does it, also while on road/highway driving as well. We're smack dab in the middle of winter here in Switzerland, so a couple degrees below or above the freezing point. Maybe it's just normal, maybe again the thing is cracking under stress from being improperly shimmed.

Some additional Info/Clues:
  • Of course it had to be put into a box for air freight (which f*in' sucked :piggybank: )
  • Was installed in October when it was still a little warmer
  • Got no extra windows in the UM's back
  • Has 4 mounts on drivers side for the Awning (that's not yet mounted, so no stress there)
  • Sealing foam that comes with it, we (=Outfitter and I) put under the rear of the Hardtop above the rear fenders.
  • My '19 JLUR came "only" with the Factory Premium Soft top, no Hardtop. Don't think that makes any difference, but maybe we missed an additional seal that needs removing or sth...
  • No, neither my girl nor myself are obese and could've caused any damage ;)
Could be nothing/normal, but after paying 15 grand until this darn thing was imported, posting here for free might turn out being worth it ;)

Thx in advance and happy new year from the Alps!

PS: Pic 4 attention, will finish and document the build in spring I guess, before taking the rig to Morocco so god resp. the Missus wills it :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Ursa Minor Campertop quirks IMG_20211121_090450744
Sponsored

Red_shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
Hi everyone

Saw that a bunch of you in here run an Ursa Minor Campertop on your JLUs as well, and as there's not a whole lot out there on tzeh interwebz on these things, wanted to ask you what your experiences with it are.

Reason I'm asking is: I suspect/hope my UM might just be shimmed improperly up front.

Mine seems to leak just a teeny bit of water on the driver side rear door. There's often waterdrops to be found on top of the inside panel just beside the window. Was perfectly watertight with the factory softtop, even with a pressure washer at point blank, now it ain't.
=>If not: What did you use to seal up the top section or how did you adjust the shimming? How many shims did you end up putting in up front?

Mine does it, also while on road/highway driving as well. We're smack dab in the middle of winter here in Switzerland, so a couple degrees below or above the freezing point. Maybe it's just normal, maybe again the thing is cracking under stress from being improperly shimmed.

• Of course it had to be put into a box for air freight (which f*in' sucked :piggybank: )
  • Has 4 mounts on drivers side for the Awning (that's not yet mounted, so no stress there)
  • Sealing foam that comes with it, we (=Outfitter and I) put under the rear of the Hardtop above the rear fenders.
  • My '19 JLUR came "only" with the Factory Premium Soft top, no Hardtop. Don't think that makes any difference, but maybe we missed an additional seal that needs removing or sth...
Could be nothing/normal, but after paying 15 grand until this darn thing was imported, posting here for free might turn out being worth it ;)

PS: Pic 4 attention, will finish and document the build in spring I guess, before taking the rig to Morocco so god resp. the Missus wills it :)

I have an Ursa Minor on order, so would also be interested in other's experiences.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
You should be searching and posting this and other J30 questions on the Facebook group. There are only a few UM owners here.

That said, mine doesnā€™t have any issues with water leaks. It is squeaky as all hell and itā€™s starting to really piss me off. I actually sent an email to them last week about a suggestion for a fix I got from the FB group. I havenā€™t heard back (surprise, surprise), but Iā€˜lol give then another few days.

Iā€™ve got the same drivers side awning mounts. Are you getting a lot of wind noise?

PinoyPinay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2019 JLUR with the J30 (order jan 5 2021, installed oct 4 2021), when i left San Diego (ursa minor), there was no squeaking, until I took it to Death Valley and squeaking galore....basically the tolerance between the roll bar behind the front seats and the bottom of the Ursa Minor is very tight...so i put a felt sheet 12x12inch in between (had to lift the ursa minor a couple inches) across the whole bar...I did not tape it or glue it, this stopped the squeaking...I live in california, we don't get much rain, so I can't answer the leaking part...no wind noise from the awning on mine. So far, it's been the best investment for my camping/overlanding. There was also some minor squeaking on the front bolt above the driver side...i just loosen it a bit and it went away.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I have 2019 JLUR with the J30 (order jan 5 2021, installed oct 4 2021), when i left San Diego (ursa minor), there was no squeaking, until I took it to Death Valley and squeaking galore....basically the tolerance between the roll bar behind the front seats and the bottom of the Ursa Minor is very tight...so i put a felt sheet 12x12inch in between (had to lift the ursa minor a couple inches) across the whole bar...I did not tape it or glue it, this stopped the squeaking...I live in california, we don't get much rain, so I can't answer the leaking part...no wind noise from the awning on mine. So far, it's been the best investment for my camping/overlanding. There was also some minor squeaking on the front bolt above the driver side...i just loosen it a bit and it went away.
You should join the FB group. THereā€™s a lot of us there.

I ended up adding a rubber piece between the roll bar and top a few weeks back. Squeezing gone. I donā€™t know if a rubber piece or felt is better, One adds friction and one removes.

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
If you have an early model JL from UM the roll bar and the camper will probably be touching and cause a squeak.

They did fix this issue and clearanced the two to stop the squeaking. Mine has the gap and still squeaked. I found the wiring loom running on top of my roll bar was causing this issue and it stopped. You can find my post in the ursa minor jeep owners facebook group about this

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
Only saw this now. Thank all y'all for commenting and sharing your experiences!

I'll definitely try and shim the full length with some more foam rubber or sth to see whether the water squirts disappear, maybe the crackling and squeaking goes away then too.
If not: Well the Hard Top on the JK leaked like a waterfall compared to the UM and that Gobi scaffolding I had on it when first crossing the Balkan states was a heck of a lot more obnoxious, soooo... I'll survive

And yes, that's a Texas sized 10-4 on the wind noise from the awning mounts. Getting more on the UM than I got from the full frontrunner roof rack I had on my JKU :D. At this point I just hope the awning finally gets delivered, no matter what happens to the soundscape after mounting it:CWL:

Last edited:

Thegreapumpkin

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi everyone

Thegreapumpkin

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi everyone

Hello I bought a used jeep last year with a Ursa Minor on it. I have had water leak in in one spot from the roof rack mount on the driverā€™s side. And I find that I have to tighten every bolt on it every couple of months. And it is creaking along the windshield on the passenger side and it is really starting to get annoying. I have tried tightening and loosening the two bolts up front but it hasnā€™t helped.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Hello I bought a used jeep last year with a Ursa Minor on it. I have had water leak in in one spot from the roof rack mount on the driverā€™s side. And I find that I have to tighten every bolt on it every couple of months. And it is creaking along the windshield on the passenger side and it is really starting to get annoying. I have tried tightening and loosening the two bolts up front but it hasnā€™t helped.
have you joined our facebook group? Lot's of help from owners and installers there.

Sponsored

phageghost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
Try wiggling the outside clasps when it's making noise. That's the cause of mine. A good wiggle and it shuts up.
Sponsored