URGENT, Vehicle damaged before delivery, Advice needed

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
I took delivery of my new 2020 Wrangler unlimited 4 door today, and only realize there is a damage on way home.
Some one in the dealer must dropped garage door to the hood, deform the hood and leave some scuff mark on paint.
the damage is subtle and probably buffed before sold to me, you can see kink at the curve line on hood, but not in the flat area, the flat area saw some scuff mark match exactly the bottom of garage door.

Sales recognized the problem, she wrote: "
Whatever damage you see on the Jeep, we will fix for you, don’t worry. We won’t be able to fix anything on the spot tomorrow but will have to have you come back during the week on a weekday for my service manager to inspect it.
"
I think she knew it there before it sold to me, I saw the car twice but both occasion is in evening, hard to discover the problem. At this moment, I know why the dealer straightforward accept my offer of 10k discount from MSRP, good deal, but to be honest I am total regret to get into JEEP now.

Should I ask for new hood? the problem is new hood bolt/on or weld on will not be as good as factory one, whatever mismatched paint, or open seam in the coating layer, etc, could be later on make rust and rattle, etc.

Should I ask for money, I would rather get some money back and pretend myself my son drop garage door on the hood. Is 1000 reasonable?

By the end it is going to be a dragging process to wear me out. what they will really do is depends on what tool in my tool box whom do I talk to. Should I get to OMVIC( ontario government unit regulates dealer) or FCA canada.

I am in Ontario Canada, my local law offer no cool-off period for consumer to back out a deal, but I am not sure if allow consumer a period of time to back out deal with product found defect, very unlikely.

I am back to dealer tomorrow, your advice is really appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_20191130_211256[1].jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20191130_212347[1].jpg
Sponsored

Boutch76

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL 2D Manual
I took delivery of my new 2020 Wrangler unlimited 4 door today, and only realize there is a damage on way home.
Some one in the dealer must dropped garage door to the hood, deform the hood and leave some scuff mark on paint.
the damage is subtle and probably buffed before sold to me, you can see kink at the curve line on hood, but not in the flat area, the flat area saw some scuff mark match exactly the bottom of garage door.

Whatever damage you see on the Jeep, we will fix for you, don’t worry. We won’t be able to fix anything on the spot tomorrow but will have to have you come back during the week on a weekday for my service manager to inspect it.
"
I think she knew it there before it sold to me, I saw the car twice but both occasion is in evening, hard to discover the problem. At this moment, I know why the dealer straightforward accept my offer of 10k discount from MSRP, good deal, but to be honest I am total regret to get into JEEP now.

Should I ask for new hood? the problem is new hood bolt/on or weld on will not be as good as factory one, whatever mismatched paint, or open seam in the coating layer, etc, could be later on make rust and rattle, etc.

Should I ask for money, I would rather get some money back and pretend myself my son drop garage door on the hood. Is 1000 reasonable?

By the end it is going to be a dragging process to wear me out. what they will really do is depends on what tool in my tool box whom do I talk to. Should I get to OMVIC( ontario government unit regulates dealer) or FCA canada.

I am in Ontario Canada, my local law offer no cool-off period for consumer to back out a deal, but I am not sure if allow consumer a period of time to back out deal with product found defect, very unlikely.

Sorry to hear. Something similar happened to me when I purchased my jeep. Left side tinted window of hard top was cracked and impossible to see from the outside in the evening. Sale person made sure to keep my attention away from it while showing the inside of vehicle. Long story short. It took the dealership 43 days to change the window after I threatened them to go to the media and make a big deal out of it.

Take notes of all exchanges between you and everyone at dealership, with names. Keep emails, text messages and such. Be the bigger person.
I hope they will change the hood for you or give you some kind of compensation. Trip to Mexico, 500$, full tank of gas and a gift.

Good luck!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I’m sorry this happened. If my brand new Jeep was damaged before I took delivery I’d be so upset and it would bother me to no end. I think I would ask for some money back but I don’t think they’d give in so easily. I’m sure they’ll say, “we’re offering to fix it, that’s the best we can do.”

I think I could live with $1000 back to make it right. I’m not a perfectionist so I would pocket the $1000 and just live with the dent in the hood. Hopefully you can ask for $1000 back AND have them fix it. Good luck.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Have them exchange the hood off another vehicle. Simple fix. Let THEM deal with the repair on the damaged hood.

Had a similar issue with a damaged door many years ago on a Honda Accord. Dealer just swapped the door off another vehicle.

Do NOT accept that they do body work and repaint it.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Your getting all worked up and do t even know what the dealer will do I would take it in and let them know you want a new hood and be done with it as it just bolts. I bought my Jeep at night and didn’t see some damage on the hard top called them the next day and they got it all fixed up no fuss

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Demand a new hood.
I would say the main thing with swapping out a new hood would be to break the paint on your hood bolts and you may also not be 100% happy with the result. Albeit better than a dented hood.

lumberjack357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Well, you learned the number one rule of picking up a new vehicle: don't inspect it at night.

See what the dealer says and offers before you get FCA or OMVIC involved, you're not going to make any friends at the dealer doing that before they're even aware of an issue.

cowzrul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Land Rover, 19 F250, 19 Wrangler, 19 Passport, 19 GS1250A, 20 Tiffin
Sorry to hear. Something similar happened to me when I purchased my jeep. Left side tinted window of hard top was cracked and impossible to see from the outside in the evening.
Same exact thing Friday for me. It was pouring cold rain and we didn't notice it until we got home. I think it was cracked and when we drove it spread. Monday they are switching my hard top out with a different vehicle on the lot.

OP, I know it's hard to not get emotional but just be rational and try to work with them to see what works out.

IMG_8453.JPG

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

"

Hate to tell you, but you cannot get a painted replacement from factory and it's highly unlikely they will swap a hood from another(to do so would risk damaging the paint on the bolts and hinges).

99.99% sure the only option the dealer will offer is to get another hood from Mopar(under warranty) and have a 3rd party paint it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
how much is the cost for new hood.

Sponsored

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
A few decades ago a dealer had great prices on several vehicles. We were about to purchase one when I went outside and with the sun hitting just right, I could see minor hail damage on the driver's side. The inspection sticker was about 6 months old and when I looked at others on the lot with old stickers they had the same issue. The dealer was selling hail damaged cars that had been poorly repaired and not disclosing the fact. We walked away due to dishonesty.

Ever since I've spent a lot of time looking at the vehicle I'm purchasing and I never take delivery at night. My prior vehicle had one small hail dent on the roof that I didn't notice until 6 months after ownership. I found 3 very hard to see hail dents on my Wrangler before I took delivery and had the dealer pop them out before I took delivery. The fine print usually excludes any cosmetic damage you find after taking delivery since it could be have caused by the consumer. But most dealers are good about taking care of their customers if some hard to find damage is found within a day or two of delivery.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Just have them make it right. $1000 wouldn't even come close to covering this repair.

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Jeez, that suckkkks. I'm in ontario too, what dealership?

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I don't see anything there that PDR shouldn't be able to easily fix 100%. I would absolutely prefer that option over a replacement or repainted hood as everything would stay original.

If you're set on getting a new hood, I would at least ask for a Rubicon hood as an upgrade to offset the downsides of having bodywork on a new vehicle.
Sponsored