Sponsored

Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts of oil in your JL?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have always gone by what the dipstick shows, regardless of what is written in a book or a manual.
I'd side w/ the engineers that confirm what fluid capacities a vehicle requires over a dipstick, but that's just me.
And no, I'm not referring to dealer service depts :(
Sponsored

NewsShooter

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n Wrangler
I have 5 quarts in mine. I know because I put it in. I wouldn't let my local dealer put air in my tires, they would screw that up too.
Yea, first oil change they were supposed to to a 5 tire rotation too. Didn't include the spare and put 45 PSI in the tires. I went in to let them know and they offered to correct the tire pressure. I don't them I'd do it myself since I have a calibrated tire gauge and could make sure it was correct. Years of road racing motorcycles where 1 lb of pressure makes a difference on track.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I'd side w/ the engineers that confirm what fluid capacities a vehicle requires over a dipstick, but that's just me.
And no, I'm not referring to dealer service depts :(
I understand what you're saying. Both methods should produce the same results. But in the case of the idiots working in the dealerships, if they would have went off what the dip stick shows, they would never overfill our Jeeps.

It's just how you were taught and what you get use to. The first oil change I did was about 45 years ago. My goal was to place the oil fill level to precisely what the dip stick showed was full regardless of how much oil was stated in a book or how much oil it took. Hell, some of my old used cars in the past didn't come with manuals and the internet wasn't invented! LOL!!! You had to guess how much oil to put back in! I was just going off the way the engineers designed the dip stick and made sure I was on level ground, brought the engine temperature up close to normal operating temperature, turned the engine off for about 5 minutes to let the oil drain back into the pan and check it. If by chance some oil was still left in the engine during an oil change, putting in 5 qrts. might be a little too much. Just an opinion.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I understand what you're saying. Both methods should produce the same results. But in the case of the idiots working in the dealerships, if they would have went off what the dip stick shows, they would never overfill our Jeeps.

It's just how you were taught and what you get use to. The first oil change I did was about 45 years ago.
I thought my 42 yrs since my first DIY oil change was a lot, lol.
And true, that is a solid plan you use to get the job done. And it still seems to be a bit of a mystery as to why the JK requires 6 and the JL less (since the upper and lower oil pan part #s are the same)???

I'm just glad I avoid dealers unless absolutely the last resort :)

SouthLeb

First Name
Rame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUS punk'n
I just got my JL (3.6L) oil changed.
I asked dealer how much oil they put, was told a bit over 5.1- 5.2 qts. They bill by quart so invoice shows 6qt.

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think they want to honor the first 4 free oil changes :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Has anyone here checked the "meet our team” link on one of the dealership pages? The ones I see are top heavy with management.
This is a rundown of titles from one site. Not uncommon for others to be setup the same way.

Dealer Principal
General Sales Manager
Fixed Operations Director
Service Director
New Car Director
Used Car Director
New Car Sales Manager - two of them
Used Car Sales Manager- two of them
BDC Director
Team Leader - 4 of them.
About 40 sales and delivery people.

How can so many dealerships be so clueless with all of this leadership and staff?

Last edited:

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
We just had our first "free" oil change and tire rotation on our 2018 JL 4door at 5,238 miles and 4 months old.

The invoice says they put in 6 quarts of 0W20, but the dipstick says it's spot on full. I suspect they're just defrauding someone, not me.

They also noted a recall for the Steering Damper - parts on order. Oddly - we haven't noticed any wobble or bad behavior.

Our front passenger seat wobbles when you turn from left to right - they weren't able to fix it. That's just embarrassing. They said that FCA is looking for a fix.

* as my screen name says - we're new to Jeeps and 100% loving the JLU -> it's the car everyone in the family takes before the X5 or the Audi TT for around town adventures.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
I was surprised when I took mine in a few weeks ago and told the clerk that I wanted to make sure that I got the correct amount of oil. I mentioned that I had heard of getting overfilled at 6 quarts and I want only 5. She cocked her head and said let me look, I thought it was 6. She said "oh you have the Turbo so its 5. Thanks, glad I looked that up!" I went on to mention that both models currently only take 5, and moved on.

She even sounded like she knew what she was talking about when she said something about "aeration." Didn't know the proper terminology, but they put what I wanted in there and I can deal with that.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Check my oil ? What does that mean ? There’s no way to know the oil level after you fill it , if there was none of these problems could ever happen. You just pour in 6 quarts and close the hood and then do it again when the light comes on. Simple. Dealer oil change. Glance at the invoice, throw it in your glove box and move on. Jeep cares no worries

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Maybe the problem stems from the fact that many know-it-alls customers that actually know nothing and are rude and obnoxious, many many cases here on these forums? Come to think of it a lot of Rubi owners are like this.
Touched a nerve? Three posts and already calling names. By the way when you buy a Sahara does it cost extra to get the insecurity complex or is that one of the natural side effects of not getting the top of the line?

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Has anyone here checked the "meet our team” link on one of the dealership pages? The ones I see are top heavy with management.
This is a rundown of titles from one site. Not uncommon for others to be setup the same way.

Dealer Principal
General Sales Manager
Fixed Operations Director
Service Director
New Car Director
Used Car Director
New Car Sales Manager - two of them
Used Car Sales Manager- two of them
BDC Director
Team Leader - 4 of them.
About 40 sales and delivery people.

How can so many dealerships be so clueless with all of this leadership and staff?
The bigger question is how all of those people can be drawing salaries not to mention the dealership operating costs when they swear they are selling you your new vehicle at their cost. Miraculous how that's done.

jlboomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport
Fuzzy measuring Oil Changes. First JL oil change. Asked Service Tech " how much oil does my Wrangler take"? Without hesitation in her "I'm the expert here" voice she barked "all JLs take 6 qts." I said, hmm "I believe the manual says 5". Nope 6, all 3.6Ls take 6. I asked her to please check, as she was flipping thru the manual on her tablet she came to the fluids page quickly, read it, flipped to another page and said "Oh, 3.6L take 5 quarts, 6 quarts is if your using 10W20." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!. I fully expect my JL it will have 6 qts. When will this madness ever end!. Definitely 5 stars on the "How'd We Do? feedback form.
Sponsored