Sponsored

Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts of oil in your JL?

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts in your JL? Even after a couple of years, some Jeep dealerships are still putting in 6 quarts instead of 5 quarts of oil into JLs. They overfilled mine twice even though I reminded them and put a note on the dash to put in 5, not 6. I will now start changing my own oil. The dealer argued and said it was 6 quarts until I showed them the owners manual, both times. I thought by now the Jeep dealers would know, but I recently randomly called 6 other Jeep dealerships around the country and 100% of them said that JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even when I asked them to verify with their techs. The original thread on this issue, which at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/ still has many continuing examples of this mistake. I'm starting this new thread to help reach those who may not realize they are running with 6 quarts as an urgent action item. Running with too much oil can damage your engine as most people already know. Here is how you check and some references from the original oil thread.

Here is an example of a service order that shows they put in 6 quarts. Sometimes the service order will show 5 quarts, but they put in 6, so check your dipstick.

oildoc.png

This is from the owners manual that it is supposed to be 5 quarts, not 6. The JK uses 6, the JL uses 5.
oilmanual.png

This indicates where to check on the dipstick (V6). The blue arrow is where it should be with 5 quarts. The yellow arrow is where the oil will be if they put in 6 quarts.

oilcorrect.png

This shows where it is overfilled and the Jeep dealership put in 6 quarts (V6)

oilwrong.png

This shows where it is overfilled and the Jeep dealership put in 6 quarts (2.0)

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 8.51.16 AM.png

More info at - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/
Sponsored

BernJLUR

First Name
Bern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLUR (on order), 2015 Anvil JKU, 1995 4.0L YJ
Didn’t check the dipstick, but work order says 5 quarts on my first oil change. Firkins in Bradenton FL seems to have gotten it right. Their service department has done a good job in the 7-8 years I’ve used them.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Argued with my dealer, to no avail. They put 6 in. I haven't drained any out, put 2k miles on it since then, no issues though. I should probably drop a qt out of it I suppose.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I think the best idea someone posted earlier is if the dealer doesn't get their s&@t together and still puts in 6 quarts after you specifically requesting 5 and even printing off the manual and bringing it with you to show them) the proper procedure is to park in front of the main dealership entrance and drain a quart of oil on the sidewalk right there.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

please see the other 1000 threads about this....

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The where was a post on the Jeep owners of American Facebook page about 6 being right in the JL I posted that its 5 and got a ton of your wrong and Im a azh@le for telling people the wrong information.

Its 5 and only 5 I even complained to jeep about my dealer doing 6 they said they would call the dealer and set it straight and gave me more free oil changes for 3 years instead of 2 but Ill never go to the dealer for a oil change now. Heck even Jiffy lube knows its 5

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t check the dipstick, but work order says 5 quarts on my first oil change. Firkins in Bradenton FL seems to have gotten it right. Their service department has done a good job in the 7-8 years I’ve used them.
That’s good info; thanks! I’m in Sarasota County (Old Miakka), and was just today trying to figure out where to get my oil changed.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah, they're still clueless. I specifically told my service writer that mine needed only 5 quarts. Did he tell the oil jockey? Hell no. But, I'll give the kid in the oil shop credit, he just went half way. He put 5 1/2 in instead of 6. I will also give the service writer credit for not handing me any BS, they just drained it and filled it right. I'll will say that this won't happen again after having a come to Jesus meeting with the service writer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Argued with my dealer, to no avail. They put 6 in. I haven't drained any out, put 2k miles on it since then, no issues though. I should probably drop a qt out of it I suppose.
Anyone who changes the oil and fails to check the dipstick afterwords is a ... “dipshit”! Absolutely NO excuse for this one. Unbelievable!

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
If you don't do your own oil changes run to a quick lube or a small shop. They get so many types of cars they're more likely to read the work order than not. It's not 100% but it's better than heading over to a dealership where more than likely you're just another Jeep in the crowd.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Since this is an on going issue / problem. What recourse do owners have if, lets say, I am deployed, the wife takes my JLU Sahara in for an oil change and they over fill by one quart? The engine is damaged by the time I get back from deployment.

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
there is many other threads on this. Its a sad reality but the entire FCA Manufacturer to Dealer Service Network is a travesty. And yes they are overfilling the 3.6 Litre engines all the time with 6 quarts instead of 5. I had it happen, had an argument with the Service General Manager at my local dealer about it after his arrogant response and ignorance toward the situation, I had them re-change the oil and I literally stood over the service technician and supervised him in putting only 5 quarts of oil in my vehicle, thats what it took to get it right. And even with all that they still put 6 quarts on the invoice...... you can't make this stuff up.
Sponsored