Sponsored

Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts of oil in your JL?

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
As I stated before in other threads, my dealer must be the only one using a special software package. After all of this 6 vs 5 quart business I asked my service advisor how they only put 5 quarts in my 2 JL’s. He showed me when he places the shop order for the technician he chooses which ever vehicle I’m having serviced by VIN and it automatically prints the filter part no. And quantity of 5 quarts of oil and part no. I had him show me on my remaining JK and sure enough it showed a quantity of 6 quarts! No guess work, no training, the system printed it. After 8 free oil changes every one of the service invoices show 5 quarts consistently For both JL’s.

I can’t have the only dealer running this software version!

And yes, I checked the oil every time in both vehicles and they have always been correct on the sticks.

Based on my visual evidence I cannot see why anyone is having this problem. That said, I’m not doubting your observations and have seen your service orders.
Sponsored

ttsquirrel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
So it happened again to me . Last wave oil change and they put in 6 qts.
My question that I haven’t seen is what happens when you run an extra qt of oil in a motor?

Since I will have records of dealer overfilling oil levels, will all this be covered when my warranty runs out?

Am I just being paranoid about an extra qt of oil? Some comments said that an extra qt won’t do damage, but other are quite adamant that this could damage seals.

TTS

ktuluorion

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for jl
I just had this problem as well with my first jeep wave oil change. Went to route 130 Jeep in Robbinsville, NJ.

It was a really weird experience TBH - I called about 5 times, asked for the service dept to make an appt, and the line would either disconnect or the next person would transfer me again and it would disconnect. Finally after a couple of days and multiple tries I was able to speak to someone who could make me an appointment.

When I showed up, I explained that I was there for my jeep wave service, which seemed to really confuse the service advisor. Not only did he need to "look up" what that meant, but when I mentioned that I wanted the tire rotation as well he said "it's not time so we'll just do the oil change", to which I replied that i'm entitled to the tire rotations as well and would like it done.

When I got the jeep back -- 6qts on the invoice, checked the dipstick later and it was high. I can't believe that after 3 years this hasn't been fixed.

What I *WILL* say, is that even though the communication and telephone systems were a bit weird (don't they do jeep wave services all day every day?), everyone was really nice that I interacted with there and they did do a 5 tire rotation for me.

I also can't truly blame the 6qts on them, as I didn't mention it or complain afterward - i'm just amazed that this hasn't been systematically fixed yet.

And that my friends, is my story.
@JeepCares

WBBP

First Name
Bev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I saw this thread and thought “it’s been 3 years, there’s no way a Jeep dealer in Chicago(land) wont know that the JL takes 5 qts.”

first oil change today: I get the invoice after the oil change and the invoice says 6 qts. I ask service about it, she promptly tells me “that’s what it takes”. Manager finally comes over and they take about 5 minutes to look up the amount of oil while I stand there (Jeep app manual in hand). Once caught up, they frustratingly say they will fix. They take the car away for a suspiciously short amount of time and park it slightly out of my line of sight. I let it sit for 20+ minutes before I finally go in to ask about the status and get the keys. I check the dipstick a few times and it’s high, plus there was a bonus full roll of electrical tape left under the hood.

Decided to just raise a @JeepCares case, leave, and drive to another dealer 45 minutes away to get it redone correctly. Two oil changes in one day is a first for me.

I live in a high rise, but I think next time I’ll just change it myself a public parking lot.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
I usually change my own oil, but had the Jeep in for recalls earlier this year and they said “you’ve got some free oil changes to use, may as well”. So I let them change it. They put in 6 quarts but I didn’t check behind them. Fast forward a few thousand miles and I notice a rear main seal leak.
The dealer replaced the RMS under warranty and I figured it was just a bad seal. They out in 6 quarts again after that RMS change. Now 5k miles later, I have another RMS leak. I decided to look back at the paperwork and see the 6 quarts listed on all the oil changes. To be fair, when i have checked the oil level, I really just looked to see that there was oil in the cross hatched section, and didn’t think much about it being overfull, and I certainly didn’t look at the cable portion. I checked it after seeing the work orders and sure enough, it’s up on the cable a little even after 5k miles. I drop it off tomorrow at the dealer and I’ll be interested in what they have to say.
Honorable mention for how crappy their work is: when I noticed the new RMS leak, I also found 1 bellhousing bolt ready to fall out, and 2 missing....

Sponsored

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Chalk me up as another victim of the 6 qt Jeep Wave oil change. Unbelievable these vehicles have been in service for well over 2 years now and nobody knows wtf they're doing yet.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
I have 5 quarts in mine. I know because I put it in. I wouldn't let my local dealer put air in my tires, they would screw that up too.
True!

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I think the best idea someone posted earlier is if the dealer doesn't get their s&@t together and still puts in 6 quarts after you specifically requesting 5 and even printing off the manual and bringing it with you to show them) the proper procedure is to park in front of the main dealership entrance and drain a quart of oil on the sidewalk right there.
I think the best idea someone posted earlier is if the dealer doesn't get their s&@t together and still puts in 6 quarts after you specifically requesting 5 and even printing off the manual and bringing it with you to show them) the proper procedure is to park in front of the main dealership entrance and drain a quart of oil on the sidewalk right there.
Get 5 or 6 Jeeps and do it all together at once. Then drive away. Maybe management would get the point.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I can’t wait for my first free oil change under Jeep wave… currently at about 3800 miles… 🙄

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
After reading various threads like this, why would you even consider using that "free" oil change? I don't get it.
Yeah…. I guess im not made of money like some people… “free” is for me... 🙄 …And we have been taking my wife’s car to our local CJDR dealer for maintenance for years and they’ve been really good, so figure I’d give them a fair shot at the jeep given their proven track record of good service on her vehicle (and I’ll mention the 5 quart thing as well).

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Yeah…. I guess im not made of money like some people… “free” is for me... 🙄 …And we have been taking my wife’s car to our local CJDR dealer for maintenance for years and they’ve been really good, so figure I’d give them a fair shot at the jeep given their proven track record of good service on her vehicle (and I’ll mention the 5 quart thing as well).
It's literally about $30.00 and a half hour, most of which is waiting for the old oil to drain out completely. The dealer doesn't do that either. They slap the new filter on with a good 1/2 quart of old oil in there still they aren't tying up a lift for free service.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
It's literally about $30.00 and a half hour, most of which is waiting for the old oil to drain out completely. The dealer doesn't do that either. They slap the new filter on with a good 1/2 quart of old oil in there still they aren't tying up a lift for free service.
Weird when people buy a $40-60k Jeep and then complain that they can’t afford oil changes.

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
If you get your oil changed at a local independent and very competent auto repair shop, instead of the dealer, does this void any warranties if you develop engine trouble down the line?
Sponsored