Sponsored

Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts of oil in your JL?

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Mine was overfilled at the first oil change then was leaking oil. The dealer replaced the rear main seal. Went to pick up and checked the dipstick. It’s overfilled again!!! The service manager just pulled it back into the shop.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mine was overfilled at the first oil change then was leaking oil. The dealer replaced the rear main seal. Went to pick up and checked the dipstick. It’s overfilled again!!! The service manager just pulled it back into the shop.
Pathetic!

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
You should be able to determine how many miles will be driven in a certain period. You may never get to that millage and be back.
Otherwise, no dealer have her take it to a trusted Jeep shop in the area.
The only dealer I trust is an hour and a half away. The dealer she took it to is 15 minutes away. That service department sucks. They charged me for a recall on my Ram pick up. I paid went home printed the TSB. When I went back and showed the service manager the TSB, he said in an angry voice, “where did you get that”! I said you just lost a customer, I will never bring a vehicle here again. The wife did not want to drive to the other dealer, and forgot about what that dealer previously did aa few years ago. I will never forget.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Maybe the problem stems from the fact that many service managers (not all) are jaded, underpaid (at least in their minds) know-it-alls who think customers are clueless idiots?
K

They accepted the job. Also the service techs at who write your ticket work on commission. Often telling you that you need unnecessary service just to make an extra buck.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My 3.6 took pretty much dead even at 5.5. It’s just getting people to actually check their work...
That's still a half quart too high, better than 6, but still I'd only run 5, no more, no less.

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
The only dealer I trust is an hour and a half away. The dealer she took it to is 15 minutes away. That service department sucks. They charged me for a recall on my Ram pick up. I paid went home printed the TSB. When I went back and showed the service manager the TSB, he said in an angry voice, “where did you get that”! I said you just lost a customer, I will never bring a vehicle here again. The wife did not want to drive to the other dealer, and forgot about what that dealer previously did aa few years ago. I will never forget.
There has to be someone, not a dealer, that's recommended in your area. Everyone can't be that ignorant, or has it come to that already?

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Maybe the problem stems from the fact that many service managers (not all) are jaded, underpaid (at least in their minds) know-it-alls who think customers are clueless idiots?
Lack of accountability is the problem. When you get to that level the common excuse it that the pool of qualified candidates is too small, so this is what we get. Truly ridiculous.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Mine has always been perfect. The dealer I visit for service (not the dealer I purchased from) is very good, I know and trust the service writer and he is also a JLU owner.

Sponsored

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts in your JL? Even after a couple of years, some Jeep dealerships are still putting in 6 quarts instead of 5 quarts of oil into JLs. They overfilled mine twice even though I reminded them and put a note on the dash to put in 5, not 6. I will now start changing my own oil. The dealer argued and said it was 6 quarts until I showed them the owners manual, both times. I thought by now the Jeep dealers would know, but I recently randomly called 6 other Jeep dealerships around the country and 100% of them said that JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even when I asked them to verify with their techs. The original thread on this issue, which at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/ still has many continuing examples of this mistake. I'm starting this new thread to help reach those who may not realize they are running with 6 quarts as an urgent action item. Running with too much oil can damage your engine as most people already know. Here is how you check and some references from the original oil thread.

Here is an example of a service order that shows they put in 6 quarts. Sometimes the service order will show 5 quarts, but they put in 6, so check your dipstick.

oildoc.png

This is from the owners manual that it is supposed to be 5 quarts, not 6. The JK uses 6, the JL uses 5.
oilmanual.png

This indicates where to check on the dipstick (V6). The blue arrow is where it should be with 5 quarts. The yellow arrow is where the oil will be if they put in 6 quarts.

oilcorrect.png

This shows where it is overfilled and the Jeep dealership put in 6 quarts (V6)

oilwrong.png

This shows where it is overfilled and the Jeep dealership put in 6 quarts (2.0)

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 8.51.16 AM.png

More info at - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/
Thanks for posting this thread. In my experiences with the local incompetent jeep dealer in AZ, I wouldn't have them wash my car. I had a few free oil changes available, but elected not to use them. This is not something that Jeep does, I had several dealerships do the same. Yes if to much is added, please correct, it could damage your engine. Once again, your post was definitely needed to remind us that such things do happen

Thetick18

First Name
Alexandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler j
Being a woman driver with my first jeep. I immediately created a profile for myself here. My car only has 4,000 miles. The dealership I purchased it from is pretty far. My local one....has horrible reviews. With oil being Known issue. Do ya'lls recommend I take it to a dealership to do my changes, find a local mechanic. I really would love to learn how to do them myself...eventually

rvb

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Urgent - Check your oil levels. Did the Jeep dealer put in 6 or 5 quarts in your JL? Even after a couple of years, some Jeep dealerships are still putting in 6 quarts instead of 5 quarts of oil into JLs. They overfilled mine twice even though I reminded them and put a note on the dash to put in 5, not 6. I will now start changing my own oil. The dealer argued and said it was 6 quarts until I showed them the owners manual, both times. I thought by now the Jeep dealers would know, but I recently randomly called 6 other Jeep dealerships around the country and 100% of them said that JLs take 6 quarts of oil, even when I asked them to verify with their techs. The original thread on this issue, which at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/ still has many continuing examples of this mistake. I'm starting this new thread to help reach those who may not realize they are running with 6 quarts as an urgent action item. Running with too much oil can damage your engine as most people already know. Here is how you check and some references from the original oil thread.

Here is an example of a service order that shows they put in 6 quarts. Sometimes the service order will show 5 quarts, but they put in 6, so check your dipstick.

oildoc.png

This is from the owners manual that it is supposed to be 5 quarts, not 6. The JK uses 6, the JL uses 5.
oilmanual.png

This indicates where to check on the dipstick (V6). The blue arrow is where it should be with 5 quarts. The yellow arrow is where the oil will be if they put in 6 quarts.

oilcorrect.png

This shows where it is overfilled and the Jeep dealership put in 6 quarts (V6)

oilwrong.png

This shows where it is overfilled and the Jeep dealership put in 6 quarts (2.0)

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 8.51.16 AM.png

More info at - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/
Spoke with the dealer today, they said 5/12 qts, my manual also says 5 and the invoices from the dealer say 6. Hey FCA why is stuff like this so hard to resolve.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR