Sponsored

Upset with dealership oil change

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
When is the last time you knew someone who had an engine failure in a brand new vehicle, within the warranty period?
My question to everyone is:

When's the last time you knew someone who had engine failure for not changing their engine oil ever?
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My question to everyone is:

When's the last time you knew someone who had engine failure for not changing their engine oil ever?
Good point. Even majorly sludged engines will usually last until the warranty expires.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
None of that goes on the car fax though. Dealers can’t save all your records, nor do they care. They know buyers are looking at car fax records to see how it has been maintained. If there is nothing on the car fax, it looks like a vehicle that’s never had an oil change or any maintenance.
Carfax is not the be all, end all. I've sold cars with paperwork in the glovebox, bought cars with paperwork in the glovebox. Many with no carfax. My worst car (Mini Cooper) had receipts and a carfax a mile long. Trips to the dealer are NOT necessarily a good thing.

dietch

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Nope. They never drained the old oil and added another five for a total of ten quarts. The level on the dip stick was about 4” higher than where it is supposed to be.
Any update on this? What was there excuse when you went back during normal hours?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP
OP
Abnmarine

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Any update on this? What was there excuse when you went back during normal hours?
I spoke to the service manager for the dealership, not the quick lube, and he was very apologetic and helpful. They did another oil change while we both watched, he gave me another voucher but I probably won’t use it and noted it into my record that they overfilled the oil by five quarts. He thanked me for bringing it to his attention so that he can ensure that the guy get trained correctly.
I’m satisfied with how he handled it. I’ve changed my oil myself and agree that it is an easy process, I was only trying to utilize the wave program but I’ll probably just do them myself for now on.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Carfax is not the be all, end all. I've sold cars with paperwork in the glovebox, bought cars with paperwork in the glovebox. Many with no carfax. My worst car (Mini Cooper) had receipts and a carfax a mile long. Trips to the dealer are NOT necessarily a good thing.

If I see a carfax with no oil changes or regular maintenance, the car is off the list. Plus it is illegal in some states for dealers to forward maintenance into to new owners from the previous owner.

Please no one tell me they aren’t using a carfax report when looking at preowned JL wranglers.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Well, at least you're not the guy in the lane next to you that they drained the oil out of and forgot to refill.
you may be right. Bozo #1 drained a Jeep and Bozo #2 came and refilled the wrong Jeep! Let's hope there isn't some guy with a blown engine suing the dealership!

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Not saying BS, but I'd need to see the fine print for that to believe it.
I agree. I need to see it in writing. I can maybe understand if someone does their own oil changes but I would imagine if you take it to a professional licensed place that would be fine with the warranty police!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is nuts that they mess up oil changes so often at the dealers. Man their service departments are really bad.

I cant believe i called them about gear oil change few months back. After i called them i saw myself in the mirror and was like. Man wtf are you doing? It is 2 fking bolts.

I do everything on my jeep. Engine oil, gear, tire rotations, brakes. Theres no reason not to. I can even open the differential and clean it and make sure nothing is damaged. Imagine how expensive itd be to get the differential checked by the dealer. It isnt rocket science. I can inspect axles too, even pull the shafts maybe once a year make sure theyre not bent. I pulled my shocks too 2 months ago and one was completely busted. I couldnt even tell by just driving or anything else.

If you take care of your own jeep youll do a lot more than any dealer. And if you gonna wheel you gotta learn at least the basics in my opinion.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
None of that goes on the car fax though. Dealers can’t save all your records, nor do they care. They know buyers are looking at car fax records to see how it has been maintained. If there is nothing on the car fax, it looks like a vehicle that’s never had an oil change or any maintenance.
You can add record on Mopar portal.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upset with dealership oil change 1635085737183

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I agree. I need to see it in writing. I can maybe understand if someone does their own oil changes but I would imagine if you take it to a professional licensed place that would be fine with the warranty police!
There are laws that prevent a manufacturer or dealer from requiring maintenance be done by them in order to maintain warranties. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/auto-warranties-and-service-contracts#Important

I haven't read anything on the net about denial of warranty due to not being able to show oil changes. Around 2018, I was thinking about getting a GT350 Shelby and was reading about the Voodoo engine problems. It seemed like the engines had a propensity to develop extremely high oil consumption and in some cases, the engines failed. I did read where some owners/dealers discovered the oil level was several quarts low. Some posts indicated a concern that Ford wouldn't warranty the engine if found with low oil levels. But I didn't run across a post indicating that Ford did not warranty the engines that failed. I stopped reading after concluding that the risk of getting a bad engine looked higher than I was willing to gamble.

I think dealers/mfrs know that it would be very bad to get a reputation of denying engine warranties over oil change evidence, unless the engine condition made it obvious there had been substantial neglect of oil changes.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
There are laws that prevent a manufacturer or dealer from requiring maintenance be done by them in order to maintain warranties. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/auto-warranties-and-service-contracts#Important

I haven't read anything on the net about denial of warranty due to not being able to show oil changes. Around 2018, I was thinking about getting a GT350 Shelby and was reading about the Voodoo engine problems. It seemed like the engines had a propensity to develop extremely high oil consumption and in some cases, the engines failed. I did read where some owners/dealers discovered the oil level was several quarts low. Some posts indicated a concern that Ford wouldn't warranty the engine if found with low oil levels. But I didn't run across a post indicating that Ford did not warranty the engines that failed. I stopped reading after concluding that the risk of getting a bad engine looked higher than I was willing to gamble.

I think dealers/mfrs know that it would be very bad to get a reputation of denying engine warranties over oil change evidence, unless the engine condition made it obvious there had been substantial neglect of oil changes.
The only thing I get concerned about is dealers giving you hard time to get you off their backs. Or use your lack of dealer relationship as a pretext to park your car for weeks waiting for parts or waiting on mechanics to get to it. Dealers may be more receptive to frequent customers who spend big $$$ at the dealership vs. someone who does their own maintenance and never shows up at the dealership unless it is a big warranty issue.

ECP

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Dealers may be more receptive to frequent customers who spend big $$$ at the dealership vs. someone who does their own maintenance and never shows up at the dealership unless it is a big warranty issue.
Of course, stealers love suckers who give them all sorts of money.

I would hope they are professional enough though to still fix your car under warranty. They are getting paid to fix it.
Sponsored