First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Subaru made it right. They took responsibility, apologized, gave me a loaner without me having to ask, and gave me daily updates on the repair status. I chalk that up to "mistakes happen" and every other service we've done with them has been timely and done correctly.

Jeep told me "Jeep Wave doesn't cover 5 tire rotations, so it's $10 extra" when I pointed out that my tire rotation wasn't done like I requested. When I told him I would have been happy to pay $10 for it and asked why they didn't tell me at drop off or call to inform me/ask permission, he didn't have an answer and told me they'd fix it when I brought my Jeep for the steering rack TSB (which took over 2 months to get a frickin' part in, but probably not the dealership's fault). That's when they overfilled my oil. And my steering wheel isn't centered anymore. Crappy workmanship to me is not acceptable. Not at dealership shop rates. I don't really care if corporate is paying - I've never had an issue with Toyota or Mazda or Subaru dealership service.

Jeep service sucks and I'm unwilling to give them a chance to fix it 1) during a pandemic and 2) when I'm slammed at my own work and don't want to spend time ferrying my vehicle back and forth.

But yeah I did a timing belt change and replaced the suspension on my old Miata and done brakes on my other vehicles no problem so I am decently capable or turning a wrench. I'm fine doing it myself, I just would have preferred to save the money and time on oil changes. Local indy chains are more than capable of taking care of 90% of peoples' typical service needs like oil, tires, and brakes. I have a local one that does good work that I used when I couldn't get in to the Mazda or Subaru dealers but looks like they're getting *all* of the Jeep work I don't want to DIY.

Sorry for the novel. It's just frustrating that Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/RAM want to sell $50k, 60k+ Jeeps and god knows how expensive the TRX and crap is gonna be but they refuse to have enough attention to detail to even take care of basic services and TSBs for owners. I'm gonna be in the market for a loaded minivan in the next 2-5 years and the crappy Jeep service has definitely soured my interest in the Pacifica. Which is a shame because it's such a nice vehicle.
I hear you, in no world should your instructions for service be overlooked. And to bicker over 10 bucks to do a 5 tire rotation vs 4 when the jeeps already on a rack....geeze. And if you wanted it corrected you could have prob went and bought a 1/2 drive set in their loaner and fix it in the lot before they even figured it out.

You might be able to recenter your steering wheel - simple adjustment to center, google it.
Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Reading through all these stories makes me sick. Crazy dealers canā€™t change oil correctly. I had my first oil change done and they over filled it by a quart. I got home and noticed it, then drained it. I wonā€™t be using them again and will be forgoing the rest of my free oil changes.

Iā€™ll be doing the rest of mine myself. Sad that they canā€™t even get this right. But as many of you have said, many dealers have young not experience techs working in the lube bays until they earn their keep. Then they are able to move up to the big boys. This means non experienced kids are changing oil on $40k plus vehicles with not a lot of experience or much care either.

Last edited:

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
So what.

I have two cars in my garage that are not jeeps. One has been out of warranty for over 300K, the other about 150K out of warranty. I've done all fluids, am original owner, no accidents on either vin.

If I sell or trade either of these vehicles, they are prob worth about 2200-2500 per kelly.

Is a carfax really going to make a shit of difference?

I went and looked at a clean one owner 18 jeep w carfax out of AZ at a local dealer-Nothing on it. I could tell it had a bad respray and salt damage on frame without getting out of my truck. Clean carfax.

Change your oil in your driveway on a sunny day, crank the radio, have a beer and enjoy your jeep.
Ehh....I am Indian. We are Whisky drinkers, lol!

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

CurlyOffroad

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU sport, 20 LR Model Y AWD, 17 Silverado 1500
Occupation
Information Technology
I just bought a certified used 18 JLU a few weeks ago and didn't have the good sense to check the oil until this past weekend... It was overfilled by 1.5 quarts. WTF?! Definitely not happy about it and documenting things in case I have troubles down the line. It's an absolute joke that a tech guy like me can take better care of a vehicle than the technicians trained to maintain them. Sorry for your trouble, seems like it's an ongoing issue from what i'm reading.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Jeep back in March 2020. After browsing the forum and hearing the stories, I never once even considered going to the dealer for any maintenance. Never even thought to use my free oil changes at the dealership since they would likely screw it up, or there was even a risk of them screwing it up.

I have done all the work to my Jeep myself except for putting the 35 tires on the wheels which I dont have the tools to do.

Sitting at 11,500 miles. Done the oil 3 times. Changed rear diff fluid twice. I always know I am doing it right since it is MY JEEP. No one else will care for it like I will.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely glad that I did. Iā€™d hate to see what would of happened over another 5-7k miles with ten qts in the 2.0.
I canā€™t take credit for this but a forum member once explained why an oil overfill is bad.
I, like Iā€™m sure most people thought it would be to much pressure for the seals etc.
The guy said (and it makes sense) that your crank shaft (the lowest spinning part of the engine) would actually be sitting in the oil. This, with the engine running will churn the oil and make it foamy. In a foamy state the oil pump would have a hard time pumping where itā€™s needed. Makes sense to me.

kennjen

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Just over the NJ border in NY, near Nanuet
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU (coming soon)
Yep, Iā€™ve heard this before. I got 8 free oils changes when I picked up my rig back in early 18. I still have 8 oil changes left. Because my rig has lifetime warranty, I have to take it to the dealer or a jiffy lube type place, otherwise Iā€™d do it myself.
Err ? Legally, you just have to keep the reciepts to be able to prove you did "Equivalant" work. Is it specifically outlined in the contract that "all service must be performed by SAE certified technician" or similar ??

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I guaranty that most dealers have guys with zero ASE certifications changing oil. If an ASE tech does an oil change itā€™s because he has nothing else to do.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I guaranty that most dealers have guys with zero ASE certifications changing oil. If an ASE tech does an oil change itā€™s because he has nothing else to do.
Well it doesnā€™t take much to get those certifications so it doesnā€™t necessarily make much difference.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
You donā€™t really need to be certified to check a dipstick. All oil change problems could be fixed and avoided if people would just use the dipstick. How do you overfill ? you canā€™t. how do you underfill ? you canā€™t. I guess thatā€™s why it has a dipstick.
Sponsored