Sponsored

Upset with dealership oil change

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The biggest "draw" as you call it, is no more stripped oil pan plug holes... oil pans plug holes are prone to strip.... get cross threaded.., especially with today's newer vehicles... then you add the fact the oil pan bolts, over time, are prone to leaking..... and that you have to use a wrench ..... and that most guys are better off digging out, using a torque wrench with them.... and that most guys don't have or know how to properly use a torque wrench.... and that you can easily misplace a drain pan bolt.... drop it into the drain pan... SO, no must that you use an oil drain valve and for sure guys that crunch rocks and such should not use them ... but.... 8-) Oh, and oil monkey, at dealership doing the oil change for you with that plug.... funny.....
Meh. Never had any of those issues changing my own oil for 40 years. If it ain't broke........
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I just don’t understand the draw. Removing the plug takes 2 seconds.
The Dodge with the Cummins engines were prone to cracking of the oil pan, around the drain plug, in the past. So, to avoid having that potential issue, I replaced the plug with a Fumoto Valve. Install once, and never needs to be taken off again. After that first use of one, I got spoiled, and installed them on all my cars, and my wifes car since. Plus, no more dropping the plug in the drain pan, and no more oil covered hand, trying to pull the plug out as fast as you can. You always get a hand full of oil. Another p!us is, you dont have to wait for the engine to cool down some. Just crawl under, and flip the valve. The hotter, the better. And, they are inexpensive.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I get the convenience of the drain plug. Especially for people with minimal tools or space for them.

However, I have never stripped out/rounded an oil plug. My guess this happens when random people are using powered tools with incorrect size sockets.

My 18 yo drain plug that has prob been accessed 100 times on the yukon-still works fine.

Regardless if your OEM or fancy pants-I see very FEW threads started by people who do their own oil changes complaining about it being done subpar, messy, incorrect, or having to make multiple repeated trips to see 'experts' after it was already done.

Really, does not matter what side of the aisle your own....plug or bolt.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ
The number one sales tool dealers use is the "warranty scare". I have zero concerns doing my own maintenance. I have a lot of concerns with a dealer working on my Jeep. If I was buying a used vehicle I would pick one where the owner had done their own maintenance over one that they took in every time. When I showed my personal maintenance records to prospective buyers of my last Jeep not one of them questioned anything.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.
Carfax keeps sending me reminders to get the tires rotated on my wife's car. It has staggered wheels (rears are wider than front) so that's not possible. I would hope dealers keep things like that in mind when relying on carfax.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I like the Fumoto because I can drain the oil directly into a jug. It really reduces the messiness of the task.

As for warranty concerns? Engines these days are incredibly reliable if basic maintenance is done. When is the last time you knew someone who had an engine failure in a brand new vehicle, within the warranty period? It’s actually auite rare unless the engine has an inherent design flaw (6.0/6.4 Powerstroke). Of course there are the occasional defective parts that make it through so a small percentage of vehicles will have a problem engine or other component installed at the factory.

It seems that the biggest issue these days are electronics. From radios to axle locking solenoids. Once electronics became so prevalent, the bean counters turned their attention that way.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
i like the idea of these fumoto taps...anybody use them who also does vigorous rock-climbing or trail riding?

I'd be worried about that metal nub getting caught up, but I like to worry.

Jrney

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Yep, I’ve heard this before. I got 8 free oils changes when I picked up my rig back in early 18. I still have 8 oil changes left. Because my rig has lifetime warranty, I have to take it to the dealer or a jiffy lube type place, otherwise I’d do it myself.
This would be a violation of the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Your dealer or extended warranty provider would have to Prove, not imply, that a service you did or product you added caused the failure. Most dealers know that, but some will fail to honor it.
Some years back I had a VW camper I bought used with the remainder of the factory warranty. It had a noisy throw out bearing and I wanted it replaced. The dealer balked. I reminded the General Manager that it was a Camper and the first fifteen feet along the busy highway out front was a legal easement. I was a firefighter with four days off in a row out of every nine, and I was going to paint a lemon on the side of my camper, live in front of the dealership, and make it my life's mission to disrupt their sales much more than the cost of the repair.
The General Manager told the Service Manager to get my camper on the lift, pull the engine, and replace the bearing.
It was an eight hour job and I drove out that evening with a new, quiet throw out bearing...

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I get the convenience of the drain plug. Especially for people with minimal tools or space for them.

However, I have never stripped out/rounded an oil plug. My guess this happens when random people are using powered tools with incorrect size sockets.

My 18 yo drain plug that has prob been accessed 100 times on the yukon-still works fine.

Regardless if your OEM or fancy pants-I see very FEW threads started by people who do their own oil changes complaining about it being done subpar, messy, incorrect, or having to make multiple repeated trips to see 'experts' after it was already done.

Really, does not matter what side of the aisle your own....plug or bolt.
Well, my Subaru dealer managed to cross-thread the oil drain plug on my wife's Forester XT which required them to remove the turbo and install a new oil pan - took a week. I've never personally had a problem with the traditional drain plugs but I think the Fumoto offers a significant amount of convenience (for me, YMMV).

Meanwhile my Jeep dealer gave me an extra quart of oil and left my new spare on my tailgate despite requesting in writing to do a 5-tire rotation, so I'm definitely leaving the 3 other Jeep Wave changes to expire and DIY'ing from now on.

I plan to use a Fumoto valve in the Wrangler. Works great in the Scoob. But I personally don't plan to be off-roading in situations that could knock off the drain valve so again, YMMV. I am self-aware enough to know I am a rarity here on the forum - a mostly stock, daily driver.

Rpk99

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65th Anniversary Wrangler
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.
You can report it on carfax as a "DIY" Maintenence report. I do it all the time.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
It locks in the closed position and would take damn near an act of god to inadvertently open.

You can also put an additional locking clip on it
Ok buddy, I stand corrected then.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i like the idea of these fumoto taps...anybody use them who also does vigorous rock-climbing or trail riding?

I'd be worried about that metal nub getting caught up, but I like to worry.
I worried about that too, but then when considering it realistically - if I've done something stupid enough to smash the fumoto valve, then I've already done something stupid enough to smash the oil pan itself. Shouldn't be taking the kind of risks where the ever so slightly lower protrusion of the valve will make the difference between making contact and not.

And if you are doing that kind of vigorous rock climbing without an engine skid plate to protect the oil pan/plug/fumoto, well you've got it coming to you regardless.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Well, my Subaru dealer managed to cross-thread the oil drain plug on my wife's Forester XT which required them to remove the turbo and install a new oil pan - took a week. I've never personally had a problem with the traditional drain plugs but I think the Fumoto offers a significant amount of convenience (for me, YMMV).

Meanwhile my Jeep dealer gave me an extra quart of oil and left my new spare on my tailgate despite requesting in writing to do a 5-tire rotation, so I'm definitely leaving the 3 other Jeep Wave changes to expire and DIY'ing from now on.

I plan to use a Fumoto valve in the Wrangler. Works great in the Scoob. But I personally don't plan to be off-roading in situations that could knock off the drain valve so again, YMMV. I am self-aware enough to know I am a rarity here on the forum - a mostly stock, daily driver.
sorry about the subaru. But dealer's service departments are that way.

Also, as thelastcowboy says, engines these days for the most part will go the long haul if you maintain fluids and look after basic stuff yourself. I've half a million miles in two vehicles that I maintained (not work vehicles)....the MAJOR repairs these vehicles have seen outside of fluids, batteries, rubber....I've replaced a tranny seal on the car, on the yukon I replaced the master brake, had to send it off and get it re machined so I have an extra in garage.

Most people would be FAR better served finding a local mobile mechanic vs using a dealer. I've used em a few times on Ag equipment and those dudes can fix anything anywhere and most are very fair price wise. Sure they may bill a few hours more than the jeep dealer on a job....but I bet their work is better.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
sorry about the subaru. But dealer's service departments are that way.

Also, as thelastcowboy says, engines these days for the most part will go the long haul if you maintain fluids and look after basic stuff yourself. I've half a million miles in two vehicles that I maintained (not work vehicles)....the MAJOR repairs these vehicles have seen outside of fluids, batteries, rubber....I've replaced a tranny seal on the car, on the yukon I replaced the master brake, had to send it off and get it re machined so I have an extra in garage.

Most people would be FAR better served finding a local mobile mechanic vs using a dealer. I've used em a few times on Ag equipment and those dudes can fix anything anywhere and most are very fair price wise. Sure they may bill a few hours more than the jeep dealer on a job....but I bet their work is better.
Subaru made it right. They took responsibility, apologized, gave me a loaner without me having to ask, and gave me daily updates on the repair status. I chalk that up to "mistakes happen" and every other service we've done with them has been timely and done correctly.

Jeep told me "Jeep Wave doesn't cover 5 tire rotations, so it's $10 extra" when I pointed out that my tire rotation wasn't done like I requested. When I told him I would have been happy to pay $10 for it and asked why they didn't tell me at drop off or call to inform me/ask permission, he didn't have an answer and told me they'd fix it when I brought my Jeep for the steering rack TSB (which took over 2 months to get a frickin' part in, but probably not the dealership's fault). That's when they overfilled my oil. And my steering wheel isn't centered anymore. Crappy workmanship to me is not acceptable. Not at dealership shop rates. I don't really care if corporate is paying - I've never had an issue with Toyota or Mazda or Subaru dealership service.

Jeep service sucks and I'm unwilling to give them a chance to fix it 1) during a pandemic and 2) when I'm slammed at my own work and don't want to spend time ferrying my vehicle back and forth.

But yeah I did a timing belt change and replaced the suspension on my old Miata and done brakes on my other vehicles no problem so I am decently capable or turning a wrench. I'm fine doing it myself, I just would have preferred to save the money and time on oil changes. Local indy chains are more than capable of taking care of 90% of peoples' typical service needs like oil, tires, and brakes. I have a local one that does good work that I used when I couldn't get in to the Mazda or Subaru dealers but looks like they're getting *all* of the Jeep work I don't want to DIY.

Sorry for the novel. It's just frustrating that Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/RAM want to sell $50k, 60k+ Jeeps and god knows how expensive the TRX and crap is gonna be but they refuse to have enough attention to detail to even take care of basic services and TSBs for owners. I'm gonna be in the market for a loaded minivan in the next 2-5 years and the crappy Jeep service has definitely soured my interest in the Pacifica. Which is a shame because it's such a nice vehicle.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I understand not wanting to change your own oil. But saying it’s faster to have someone else do it Isn’t exactly the case, unless you live within a 5 minute drive of the dealer. I can change my oil and clean up quicker than it takes me to drive to the nearest Jeep dealer or even one of the so called quick change places.
Sponsored