Sponsored

Upset with dealership oil change

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The locking clip is a joke, and grass wouldnt affect the valve, or turn it, even with the clip off. Now, if you somehow managed to whack it with a log or a large rock, that might damage things. . But, it is pretty tucked away. There are several F106 models, some stick out more than others. I prefer to have it tucked up high.
@DaltonGang

Indeed, the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve will not open easily. Sure, if it hits a boulder or downed tree, etc., it could be snapped off, etc..

Those of us that have/use the valve, know it is not going to open easily... To open the valve, you have to firmly press the spring loaded lever, push it out of an indent and then physically move the lever.. No , it is not going to open easily..

With that said, I do not consider a "locking clip" placed on the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve a "joke"

Any adjunct that provides more then double protection lets say, is not a joke..

I know, I would not run with a Fumoto, unless it had a locking clip on it. I like the double protection...

5/8" clip
Jeep Wrangler JL Upset with dealership oil change cli
Sponsored

Reactions: OBD

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Yeah, I texted my service advisor and asked if they had time for me to "run in" for my oil change and tire rotation last week, as the last time they had seen my jeep was about 11 months ago.

He said sure they could get me right in. That was true, they put my jeep in the bay immediately and it sat there for 40 minutes untouched.

An hour and fifteen minutes later, I have my jeep back. 19 out of 20 lug nuts properly installed, (the 20th I removed by hand and showed to the service advisor) and judging by the dipstick, 6 quarts of oil. Oh and they filled all my tires to 39 psi. No idea if they actually replaced the filter.

I absolutely believe the hype about warranty denials. My local dealers are so terrible I can't get them to perform a TSB even if I hand it to them, so I don't want to give them any possible out for future problems. They'll continue to see my vehicles once a year despite the incompetence because of that, but it is very frustrating.

Last edited:

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
What is it with Jeep dealerships and them giving people extra oil? There's a consistent problem with them overfilling the JLs.

To quote Warden Norton in "Shawshank Redemption,"
"This is a conspiracy, that's what this is!"

Seriously though, they overfilled every single one of my free oil changes. Every one.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Family and friends wonder why I don't trust dealers to every even touch my vehicles. Here is yet another reason. I have over a dozen person experiences with similar type things ranging from a simple oversight, to sheer incompetence like this. I hate dealers, from buyer the vehicle, to servicing them. Not exaggerating, my experience has been about 30% decent / no fireworks or damage at a dealer experience, and 70% of the time they mess something up, or outright damage the vehicle (and either didn't say anything, or even worse blame me, or even the weather why it's wrong).

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
@DaltonGang

Indeed, the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve will not open easily. Sure, if it hits a boulder or downed tree, etc., it could be snapped off, etc..

Those of us that have/use the valve, know it is not going to open easily... To open the valve, you have to firmly press the spring loaded lever, push it out of an indent and then physically move the lever.. No , it is not going to open easily..

With that said, I do not consider a "locking clip" placed on the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve a "joke"

Any adjunct that provides more then double protection lets say, is not a joke..

I know, I would not run with a Fumoto, unless it had a locking clip on it. I like the double protection...

5/8" clip
Jeep Wrangler JL Upset with dealership oil change cli
The clips that come with the Fumoto Valves are half moon looking clips and cheesy looking, not the clip you have pictured. I have been using Fumoto Valves on my vehicles for over 20 years, and have had zero issues, except for the time my son was "Helping Me", and I forgot to close the valve. Long story short, I had to mop up a Gallon of clean oil. But, I still had 2 gallons that hadnt made it out yet.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The clips that come with the Fumoto Valves are half moon looking clips and cheesy looking, not the clip you have pictured. I have been using Fumoto Valves on my vehicles for over 20 years, and have had zero issues, except for the time my son was "Helping Me", and I forgot to close the valve. Long story short, I had to mop up a Gallon of clean oil. But, I still had 2 gallons that hadnt made it out yet.
The plastic clip that Fumoto sells is crapola in my opinion. Comes off to easily. The old school, 5/8" metal hose clamp as I pictured is the way to go. You place that one and it is not going anywhere til you tackle it with a plier and a very strong/controlled grip.

Yup, I too have used Fumoto's for many many years. Used them on cars, trucks, airplanes, you name it.. Never have had / or seen an issue with one.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
The plastic clip that Fumoto sells is crapola in my opinion. Comes off to easily. The old school, 5/8" metal hose clamp as I pictured is the way to go. You place that one and it is not going anywhere til you tackle it with a plier and a very srtong/controlled grip.
Thanks, I figured it was aftermarket. If I was doing a lot of Trails, I would definitely go that route. I might get one anyway, just for yucks.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
What is it with Jeep dealerships and them giving people extra oil? There's a consistent problem with them overfilling the JLs.

To quote Warden Norton in "Shawshank Redemption,"
"This is a conspiracy, that's what this is!"

Seriously though, they overfilled every single one of my free oil changes. Every one.
Pete,

The primary reason for the extra quart is that the previous model (JK) had a larger oil pan on the 3.6L requiring 6 quarts. FCA (in their infinite wisdom) decided to revise the current model (JL) to have a smaller pan on the same 3.6L. Therefore oil capacity decreased from 6 to 5 quarts. So automatically every Jeep [Wrangler] in for an oil change gets 6 quarts because these schmucks don't know the difference between the two models.

Clearly FCA didn't properly notify their dealership network of the revision, the network ignored that notification, the rocket scientists doing the work just do it out of habit or some hybrid of all three. Ineptitude all around at every level.

I even quizzed the service rep about the JL oil capacity. He got it right even though they still put in 6 quarts. They don't even communicate between themselves within their own shop.

Jay

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I lost the little plastic clip for the Fumoto on my pickup years ago, has not been an issue.

This thread reminds me that I need to order one for my Jeep.

Reactions: OBD

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From an FCA press release in 2018..... when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill – resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Fumoto F106S. Just slide under the Jeep, put a drain pan under, and flip the valve. Takes a few seconds. While its draining, change out the filter. When the new filter is in, close the Fumoto vlave. Fill with new oil, drive off. 5 minutes or so, if you dont screw around.
I just don’t understand the draw. Removing the plug takes 2 seconds.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Problem is that the oil change will not appear on the Carfax this way if I ever need to trade in the JLUR for a newer model.
So what.

I have two cars in my garage that are not jeeps. One has been out of warranty for over 300K, the other about 150K out of warranty. I've done all fluids, am original owner, no accidents on either vin.

If I sell or trade either of these vehicles, they are prob worth about 2200-2500 per kelly.

Is a carfax really going to make a shit of difference?

I went and looked at a clean one owner 18 jeep w carfax out of AZ at a local dealer-Nothing on it. I could tell it had a bad respray and salt damage on frame without getting out of my truck. Clean carfax.

Change your oil in your driveway on a sunny day, crank the radio, have a beer and enjoy your jeep.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don’t understand the draw. Removing the plug takes 2 seconds.
The biggest "draw" as you call it, is no more stripped oil pan plug holes... oil pans plug holes are prone to strip.... get cross threaded.., especially with today's newer vehicles... then you add the fact the oil pan bolts, over time, are prone to leaking..... and that you have to use a wrench ..... and that most guys are better off digging out, using a torque wrench with them.... and that most guys don't have or know how to properly use a torque wrench.... and that you can easily misplace a drain pan bolt.... drop it into the drain pan... SO, no must that you use an oil drain valve and for sure guys that crunch rocks and such should not use them ... but.... 8-) Oh, and oil monkey, at dealership doing the oil change for you with that plug.... funny.....

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking
into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.
That’s not a big deal. Jeep all your receipts and records of when you have done. This way you have you’re own car fax to give to anyone.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I don't trust anyone with my vehicles. I always do my own oil changes so I can control the quality of oil and filter. Nobody will care as much about your ride as you do. I grew up learning how to fix a car. My dad told me when I was 16 and started driving; learn how to fix it or walk.
Not to mention that no lift is required
Sponsored

Last edited: