Sponsored

Upset with dealership oil change

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
It's truly a pitiful situation when we avoid simple, free maintenance for fear of the dealer/tech actually causing more harm. Sad, sad, sad - and the dealers could care less.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You guys that change your own oil - what do you do with the old oil?
i put it in the fresh oils bottle and seal it tight then sell it as new on Craigs List to unsuspecting suckers! mwahahaha!

jk i take it to AZ. i have 5 gallon paint buckets and wait till its full. after doing this for 20 years, i then found out that AZ actually pays you for the oil. no one mentioned that the million times i went until recently. even still i have to ask them when im done. get $2 for getting rid of my oil and using my gas to drive there.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i never knew Carfax has warranty records. never seen that in the few searches ive done. i just use it for accidents and mileage verification, mostly accidents.

id never trade a vehicle into the dealer so i could care less what they think. i always sell private party. ive bought one vehicle (gt500) where the guy gave me a folder full of documentation. car only had 800 miles on it so not much maintenance wise. typical for a performance car. even still, if they dont have it, im not too worried. have a mechanic inspect it and if the car is clean then im good to go. im too lazy and unorganized to have a ton of records for my car lol. i still have his folder full of docs in my file cabinet though lol.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I truly enjoy doing it.
Joe,

Being a Software Engineer, I am no true mechanic. However, oil changes on these JL's could not be any easier. By far the easiest oil pan to get to because of the extra ground clearance and everything else is done from above. Two sockets, 31 and 13 mm, a socket wrench and a funnel are the only four tools required.

Easy, peezy, lemon squeezy. A little more fun with my Jeep every time. I really look forward to it. Plus the joy of knowing that no one on the planet will put more craftsmanship into my Jeep's oil change than me.

Why pay anyone for the convenience of doing something so damn easy and enjoyable.

[Edit]
Typo on the size of the sockets. Should be 24mm for the filter and 13mm for the drain plug.

Jay

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
free or not. the dealership is not making any money. i dont bother with the program just because they will put a rookie on a lousy job that no one want.. thats were the problem is. not all dealerships are like that. dont get me wrong here. free can be good, but free is not free anymore. i have a great mechanic that loves jeep wranglers and will treat them like his own. i would take care of my oil changes myself. but i like to help the local businesses. i wait for mine to be done, which gives me the chance to relax also chat with the guy. plus the mechanic will check everything from front to bad and make sure everything is looking good.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sometimes I think about ditching the complimentary oil changes from the dealership and just have my regular family mechanic do them for me even if it means paying him. I have known the guy for 15 plus years and he has now become a good family friend. Just way too many stories like these. Anybody disagree?
This is literally the easiest vehicle ever to change the oil on, just do it yourself.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Joe,

Being a Software Engineer, I am no true mechanic. However, oil changes on these JL's could not be any easier. By far the easiest oil pan to get to because of the extra ground clearance and everything else is done from above. Two sockets, 31 and 13 mm, a socket wrench and a funnel are the only four tools required.

Easy, peezy, lemon squeezy. A little more fun with my Jeep every time. I really look forward to it. Plus the joy of knowing that no one on the planet will put more craftsmanship into my Jeep's oil change than me.

Why pay anyone for the convenience of doing something so damn easy and enjoyable.

Jay
Agreed. Plus there is the feeling of accomplishment, even if it is simple to do.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
This is literally the easiest vehicle ever to change the oil on, just do it yourself.
Problem is that the oil change will not appear on the Carfax this way if I ever need to trade in the JLUR for a newer model.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Problem is that the oil change will not appear on the Carfax this way if I ever need to trade in the JLUR for a newer model.
So what? Show your maintenance records if you’re really that worried about it. Pretty sure maintenance doesn’t show up on carfax anyways.

Catiajockey

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited
To the OP: Please message me the name of the dealer as I am here in Florida and would like to avoid them if at all possible:

I bought my 2018 JLUR used from a dealership group that has "warrantee for ever". The only caveat to that is I have to have someone else do the oil changes. It is literally the only requirement. If I use any of the dealerships (Chevy, Nissan, Dodge, Jeep) that are within the dealership group I don't have to do anything. If I take it anywhere else all I have to do is call and notify them.

I am generally a do it myself person and frankly because of that I don't trust any dealership all that much. So I won't be leaving the parking lot until I double check everything. Someone mentioned bringing in my own oil. That is actually a good idea.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
This is the reason dealerships have such nice and shiny showrooms......people fall for this crap.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You guys that change your own oil - what do you do with the old oil?
I pour it down the drain at the dealership at night.
Sponsored