Upset with dealership oil change

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sometimes I think about ditching the complimentary oil changes from the dealership and just have my regular family mechanic do them for me even if it means paying him. I have known the guy for 15 plus years and he has now become a good family friend. Just way too many stories like these. Anybody disagree?
It’s always good to support honest and capable local businesses.
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Extended warranties don't allow for self-changed oil? Even if you keep records/receipts?
Nope, I was told that it wouldn’t fly. Kinda blows but at least jiffy lube doesn’t over fill the oil and they know it’s only 5 quarts not 6.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Nope, I was told that it wouldn’t fly. Kinda blows but at least jiffy lube doesn’t over fill the oil and they know it’s only 5 quarts not 6.
And then they’ll top off your brake fluid with power steering fluid.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.
I save the receipts from Autozone for this reason. Document in the owner's manual. Oil changes aren't rocket science, but leave it up to flying monkeys at the dealer to screw it up.
Jeep Wave is a nice thought, but my nearest dealer is almost 40 minutes away and I don't trust them.

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
same boat here
when i hit 2k mls on my Rubicon i stopped by to near Jeep dealer for quick oil change and tire rotations
dealer told me "sure drop your car and come back in 5 hr since Rubicon needs special treatment"
lol ok bye never to the dealer for any service

Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
And then they’ll top off your brake fluid with power steering fluid.
So true. A buddy of mine works at a local one, so he’s always been on top of his people to make sure they ain’t playing lube games.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Eh. I see your point but with proper record keeping its non-issue. Photos of the odometer which has a date stamp, receipt for oil+filter purchase all stored digitally in a folder for the future. I go as far as oil analysis every couple of changes for the jeep and trucks and each one for with wifes Audi to make a complete profile for each vehicle in our family fleet.
And screw the dealer and their oil changes, its a low margin product for them and they hand it down to the lowest monkey.

None of that goes on the car fax though. Dealers can’t save all your records, nor do they care. They know buyers are looking at car fax records to see how it has been maintained. If there is nothing on the car fax, it looks like a vehicle that’s never had an oil change or any maintenance.

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
If you can't, or don't want to change your own oil, Jiffy lube would probably be a better bet, although I wouldn't recommend them either.
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Only thing that sucks is doing it yourself won’t show up on a car fax that regular maintenance was done and I see some dealers checking into this on the car fax when trading it in and holding it against you for value.

Eh. I see your point but with proper record keeping its non-issue. Photos of the odometer which has a date stamp, receipt for oil+filter purchase all stored digitally in a folder for the future. I go as far as oil analysis every couple of changes for the jeep and trucks and each one for with wifes Audi to make a complete profile for each vehicle in our family fleet.
And screw the dealer and their oil changes, its a low margin product for them and they hand it down to the lowest monkey.
I was in service engineering for 37 years, both retail and wholesale. CARFAX is not 100% accurate. Personally, I do not depend on CARFAX. Not all shops report to CARFAX. Therefore, I keep my own service records and receipts. If the time ever comes when a dealer or a manufacturer would like to challenge me on maintenance and/or service, I wish them good luck.

I keep an Excel sheet on all of my service work. Also, I keep all of my original receipts to back-up the Excel data. In the case of my Jeep, I always use Mopar service parts and filters. That way if a Mopar part fails, such as the oil filter, and causes collateral damage to another component (engine), Mopar is responsible and liable.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upset with dealership oil change data service

Last edited:

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
You guys that change your own oil - what do you do with the old oil?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
It’s always good to support honest and capable local businesses.
Exactly! Plus his son bought a JLU Sahara at around the same time as me. We always talk about his Sahara and my JLUR every time I see his son in the shop. While I chose to stay the factory stock route for my Rubicon, he has some mods to his Sahara such as 35s and a 2.5 inch lift.
Sponsored