Upset with dealership oil change

davis53

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Change my own oil and filter also, don't trust dealer service after several bad experiences.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I was in service engineering for 37 years, both retail and wholesale. CARFAX is not 100% accurate. Personally, I do not depend on CARFAX. Not all shops report to CARFAX. Therefore, I keep my own service records and receipts. If the time ever comes when a dealer or a manufacturer would like to challenge me on maintenance and/or service, I wish them good luck.

I keep an Excel sheet on all of my service work. Also, I keep all of my original receipts to back-up the Excel data. In the case of my Jeep, I always use Mopar service parts and filters. That way if a Mopar part fails, such as the oil filter, and causes collateral damage to another component (engine), Mopar is responsible and liable.

data service.jpg
Unfortunately CarFax and KBB are a mega marketing juggernaut that has trained consumers to check a carfax before buying a car. So now dealers are using this against trade in values because right at the top of the carfax reports now it will say whether the vehicle they are looking at did regular maintenance as suggested by the manufacturer. So regardless of what you did yourself or kept records of, that won’t matter.

I used to work in the industry and was looking for a GX460 for my wife. Dealer friend found 2 that were ideal, both sitting at the same dealer (Lexus Dealer) they had in network. One had a flawless carfax maintenance documentation, every 5k service was done on time. The other GX (with 6k less miles) had no service history.

The Lexus with the complete 5k service interval history went for $3,200 more than the one without. When my friend looked into trade values to see what they could do for me, the trade in received for the flawless service record GX was $3,200 more on trade in than the other.

This is where I started asking questions and learned a lot about how Carfax has really changed consumers perceptions about cars. Edmunds tracks Carfax vehicle checks in partnership with google analytics. Checks have gone up 310% since 2005 through 2019.

It’s a changed market now. I hate dealer service and always check in on everything they do after I get my vehicle. But I want top dollar on my Jeep when it’s traded, and if consumers are wanting to see this service history to keep them warm and fuzzy, it is going to be done.

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Told by whom? The dealership that wants you sell you oil changes for that "lifetime"? ;)
Nah, the FCA warranty plan came with the 8 oil changes. In all honesty they haven’t attempted to push anything. All I was told by the FCA warranty rep is that any work had to be done by a shop, warranty wouldn’t accept “do it yourself service.” Again, just what I was told.

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
Carfax is a racket. I was trading in a car and the dealer pulled a carfax before giving me a trade-in value. Carfax had a big warning about a rolled back odometer. After comparing my service records with the Carfax it became obvious that some service tech had entered the mileage as 31xxx instead of 13xxx. The entries after that showed the correct lower miles.. The car only 28000 miles when I traded it.. At least I had service and emission inspection records to prove the mileage was correct.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I do my own at 50% of the EVIC oil change guage. However I let the dealer do it every other time (normal duration). Immediately after they put the 6 quarts in, I drain it all and do it properly.

I end up with a free oil system flush every other cycle. This at least allows the dealership to perform all the paperwork (digital records) facade to confirm the maintenance was performed even though I'm really doing it 2x the scheduled interval.

Some may say that this is unnecessary but the little extra cost and effort is so much worth the piece of mind. Furthermore, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm running full synthetic with the oil of my choosing. I'm pretty convinced the dealership is putting in whatever crap they get a deal on. Even though they're wasting that savings by putting in the extra quart.

You would think these schuster's would put 5 quarts in every Jeep including the JK's. Nope, couldn't even be that smart to save on inventory.

I wonder how bad the Diesel drivers are getting screwed? They have 8 quart oil capacities. I wonder how many of them are getting shorted 2 quarts. These dealership express lane knuckleheads have proven time and again they can't ever be trusted to do it correctly. Amazing, considering the JL has been on the market 3+ years now.

Jay

Last edited:

Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Unfortunately CarFax and KBB are a mega marketing juggernaut that has trained consumers to check a carfax before buying a car. So now dealers are using this against trade in values because right at the top of the carfax reports now it will say whether the vehicle they are looking at did regular maintenance as suggested by the manufacturer. So regardless of what you did yourself or kept records of, that won’t matter.
1.) CARFAX does not always know the regular maintenance history. They only know what was reported, if reported.
2.) CARFAX does not always know about body shop repairs. They only know what was reported, if reported.
3.) Owner maintenance records accompanied with receipts are very compelling. In my case, my records are 100% complete and 100% accurate. This did increase my trade-in value on my last trade-in, as per the general manager. CARFAX records are not always complete and or accurate. The CARFAX report on my trade-in did not show any maintenance, but yet it was very well maintained, all documented.

Last edited:

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
None of that goes on the car fax though. Dealers can’t save all your records, nor do they care. They know buyers are looking at car fax records to see how it has been maintained. If there is nothing on the car fax, it looks like a vehicle that’s never had an oil change or any maintenance.
or in ten years it could be "an early JL that never went to a dealer for service".

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I do the same as Jay above. Every 5k. The first 5 and all the odd 5’s I do myself (always fully synthetic).
At 10,000 and all the even tens I put the Jeep in so they have a service record. I bring my own oil but this is where I worry. Are they overfilling/under filling? Are they taking my 5 fully synthetic quarts, putting in their trunk and giving me the Walmart discount stuff? Are they skipping the filter? Leaving something open?
Once again I’ll tip my cap to this forum. Since reading so many horror stories when I pick up my Jeep after the 10k services, I right in their parking lot.....
A) check underneath that the oil plug is dry.
B) open the hood and check there’s no open fill cap, oil spilled, or tools left.
C) take a napkin out of the glove compartment and check the oil level to see if it looks fresh and at the proper level.
If this insults them, sorry I’m the one who paid the 50k

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
1.) CARFAX does not always know the regular maintenance history. They only know what was reported, if reported.
2.) CARFAX does not always know about body shop repairs. They only know what was reported, if reported.
3.) Owner maintenance records accompanied with receipts are very compelling. In my case, my records are 100% complete and 100% accurate. This did increase my trade-in value on my last trade-in, as per the general manager. CARFAX records are not always complete and or accurate. The CARFAX report on my trade-in did show any maintenance, but yet it was very well maintained, all documented.
Most dealers cannot “forward” your records due to state laws. So they aren’t really applicable.

Most all dealers and networks report to carfax, only smaller mom and pop shops aren’t connected.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I knew when I bought mine that I would never use the Wave. Too bad I can’t give those free oil changes to someone else.

I have always changed my own oil and rotated my own tires. This way I know what oil and filter I have, that they were in fact both changed and that there are no leaks or hidden issues. Also, by doing my own rotations I makes sure my lugs are properly torqued and that my wheels and lugs nuts aren’t getting beat up by a kid with an impact who thinks he’s on a pit stop crew. I see no need to rebalance tires that have no vibration issues.

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Does the CPU store every time the change oil light has been reset? And at what mileage? If not it should.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Nah, the FCA warranty plan came with the 8 oil changes. In all honesty they haven’t attempted to push anything. All I was told by the FCA warranty rep is that any work had to be done by a shop, warranty wouldn’t accept “do it yourself service.” Again, just what I was told.
I suspect that they are totally okay with self-changed oil (w/Receipts). The "do it yourself service" is likely aimed at someone who actually fixes a mechanical problem themselves, doesn't involve an authorized repair shop, and then expects the warranty company to reimburse them.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
m
I suspect that they are totally okay with self-changed oil (w/Receipts). The "do it yourself service" is likely aimed at someone who actually fixes a mechanical problem themselves, doesn't involve an authorized repair shop, and then expects the warranty company to reimburse them.
maybe @JeepCares can confirm this?

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
I don't trust anyone with my vehicles. I always do my own oil changes so I can control the quality of oil and filter. Nobody will care as much about your ride as you do. I grew up learning how to fix a car. My dad told me when I was 16 and started driving; learn how to fix it or walk.