Sponsored

UPPDATE post #16-Timer for Engine Block Heater so as not to waste electricity

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
What type of timer do you use for your block heater?
Most suggestions that I have read state 2, 3, up to 4 hours max before you start wasting electricity - diminishing returns. Planning now before the need truly arises.
And NO, I am not debating the need for one ;)

Thanks in advance!

When Should I Plug in My Engine Block Heater? (sherwoodford.ca)
Engine Block Heater: All You Need To Know | The Drive

EDIT: Read this suggestion but also looking for real life experience. "Programmable electronic timers can be found at most hardware and auto part stores and should be set to start engine block heaters four hours before you plan to start your car. Be sure to purchase a timer that is rated for 15 amps and is suitable for outdoor use."
Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
My Wrangler is the first vehicle I've purchased with a block heater. I bought a timer and will set it for 2 hours before my usual departure time.

Bear in mind the weather in our region doesn't get horrendous. Typically only 5 to 10 below on the coldest nights. I've never had an issue with any of my vehicles starting.

I bought it more so that the vehicle would warm up faster and having the oil warmed has to be better than not.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Wrangler is the first vehicle I've purchased with a block heater. I bought a timer and will set it for 2 hours before my usual departure time.

Bear in mind the weather in our region doesn't get horrendous. Typically only 5 to 10 below on the coldest nights. I've never had an issue with any of my vehicles starting.

I bought it more so that the vehicle would warm up faster and having the oil warmed has to be better than not. (my emphasis)
This is precisely why I am doing it as well. We may get some -10 to -20 but rarely. Down to 10 below is more common. I too have read that having the oil warmer is better than not. ALWAYS had block heaters on the work diesel trucks with nary an issue. Since not many replies on this one I will probably just try an inexpensive timer for work.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Just a point of education for other people reading, the block heater heats up the coolant directly and not the oil. Some of the heat from a warm block will warm the oil, but if you need the oil warmed up, you need an oil pan warmer.

Also, from what I read a few years back, 2-3hrs is plenty of time for the block heater to work. My Cummins coolant never got over 105F, no matter how long I left it plugged in. Central WA never got below zero when I lived there, so I’m not sure if more than 2-3hrs is needed in lower temps.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a point of education for other people reading, the block heater heats up the coolant directly and not the oil. Some of the heat from a warm block will warm the oil, but if you need the oil warmed up, you need an oil pan warmer.

Also, from what I read a few years back, 2-3hrs is plenty of time for the block heater to work. My Cummins coolant never got over 105F, no matter how long I left it plugged in. Central WA never got below zero when I lived there, so I’m not sure if more than 2-3hrs is needed in lower temps.
You are correct.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

THX for the clarification!
And since I can easily check my coolant temp I will see what kind of difference the heater makes. Today for example, I started the JP and let the coolant temp reading steady out at 40 degrees (currently 32ish outside) before the engine could run for more than a minute and start to warm up. I am not running the block heater yet. As soon as I can get a timer I will run some tests.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I lived in NW Montana most of my life. Parking next to your house under cover or even an eve makes a big difference. Battery heaters are good, but Im not sure there is room in a JL to wrap the battery. Most cold nights, 2 hours is plenty. Bite ass cold needs 4 hours. OMG cold needs all night plus a magnetic oil pan heater. Some diesels start easily, others require plugging in if it dips below 32.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I lived in NW Montana most of my life. Parking next to your house under cover or even an eve makes a big difference. Battery heaters are good, but Im not sure there is room in a JL to wrap the battery. Most cold nights, 2 hours is plenty. Bite ass cold needs 4 hours. OMG cold needs all night plus a magnetic oil pan heater. Some diesels start easily, others require plugging in if it dips below 32.
I am betting these new JP's shouldn't need too much. Planning on 2-3 hours max and will monitor the coolant temp on different days. Try to find the sweet spot of heat vs electricity usage.

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took the following measurements on my block heater this morning.
A/C Mains: 222.1 V
Current: 3.40 A

Basic power formula shows the power consumed to be: 755.14 W

So it looks like my heater is ~750W

My electric rate is .1333/KWH
So the cost per hour to run my heater is: 10 cents per hour.

With gas approaching $4/gal here the savings in gas alone makes it worth it in my opinion.

I ran the heater for an hour this morning just for kicks. It was 27° out. It took very little time for the engine to reach operating temp once started.

20211104_090950.jpg

Deleted member 59498

Just cheap old fashioned timers work just fine for them. Hour or 2 before startup.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Wrap your JL with a warm fuzzy blanket before bedtime, that should do the trick.

OP
OP
Aonar

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I plug my engine block heater cord into a wifi power plug switch. I use my phone app to program the ON/OFF time. I can also use the phone app to turn the engine block heater on or off manually. No wasted energy.

WIFI power switch

Jeep Wrangler JL UPPDATE post #16-Timer for Engine Block Heater so as not to waste electricity jojo
Sponsored