First Name
Kell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
I'm finding myself beginning to think in these two terms. The Oxford English online dictionary defines UPGRADE as raising the standard and MODIFY as making minor or partial changes.
I can see spending a lot of money modifying without upgrading. I want to upgrade first and modify later. I ordered the headliners from Hothead. Is this an upgrade or a modification? I'm calling the Hothead headliners an upgrade. As cooling and sound will improve. Now am I getting enough bang for my buck? Hothead sure hopes so. So many cool things to strap to the Jeep. So I had to come up with a financial survivability plan.
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
When it's your jeep and you modify the stock issue--

It can be an UPGRADE FOR YOU, but maybe not someone else, so

When you modify and it increases YOUR VALUE/SAFETY/OPERATION--it's an UPGRADE !

W.E.
JIMBO

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
I think of it in terms of 1. Function relative to intended use as highest priority. 2. Convenience or enhancement of a secondary use. 3. Cosmetic or tertiary use enhancement.

Based on that, I have the following thoughts for me:
In Category 1: This ran me $45.
1. Phone holder (although now that iOS will let me do google maps in carplay it turns out not to be needed, but I already purchased it)
2. That's it. My primary purpose is to have a convertible commuter car that can carry 5 people with occasional trips to country roads and/or camping)

In Category 2: In this category I've got a few thousand dollars. None of this will hit category 1 until spring, then I'll have to prioritize.
I haven't prioritized these, but: Harken Lift, mesh top, door holder, door off mirrors, half doors.

In Category 3: Offroad stuff. Wheels/tires/CB radio, winch. These are thousands of dollars for something I'll rarely if ever do. I plan to join a local jeepers club, buy a recovery kit and give it a go with the stock JLUR and see if I even have a liking for the offroading stuff before I spend any significant cash here.

Try to break out your expenditures into a similar though process, then keep a steady savings going, and when your cash reserve matches the cost of your next priority item, go for it!

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
Well I added a Rubi take off suspension to my Sport S.....therefore I upgraded as well as modified!!

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, You upgrade parts, while modifying the Jeep.

Upgrade you replaced something, to something better. Modify is you tweak or upgrade part of something to make it better.

So like you upgrade the bumpers, headlights, tires. Which all are modification to the Jeep as a whole.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
My definitions: upgrading is replacement of any parts with parts you perceive to be better than stock.
Modification is replacing parts with aftermarket parts, or changing the stock parts to suit your purpose.
Custom parts are one off parts made especially for your Jeep.
Not all agree with these definitions, but they work for me.
Sponsored