First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a 2018 JLUS with d30/d44 lsd. I am looking to upgrade the front axle to a UD44, which includes lockers and gears. I’m running 35s and want to go up to 37s eventually. My questions are, what gear ratio should I choose? Do I need to re gear the rear as well? Should I throw a locker on the rear as well? I’m having the rotational knock problem that’s common with the LSD and I’ve heard one solution is to put a locker in place of the LSD. Just looking for advice on how to do this build.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You will need to have matching gears front and back.

A locker in the rear is used more than one in front.

I have a manual trans with 4.88 gears. I wish I would have gone 5.13’s. With the auto I think 4.88’s would be perfect for 37’s.

OP
OP
jerrygcoffey

jerrygcoffey

First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
You will need to have matching gears front and back.

A locker in the rear is used more than one in front.

I have a manual trans with 4.88 gears. I wish I would have gone 5.13’s. With the auto I think 4.88’s would be perfect for 37’s.
Could I run the 4.88s with 35s until I upgrade to the 37s?

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I would do a 4.10 UD44 and then buy a rubi rear axle. They go for ~2k brand new. You will make that back by selling both of your stock axles. Keeping your stock rear axle and upgrading it increases your net cost significantly. Axles are also something you can install yourself with basic hand tools, which saves on labor. Re-gearing and locker installs are generally not DIY for most people.

This is assuming you have an automatic. If you have a manual, I agree with Mark.
Sponsored