Sponsored

Upgrading suspension to Teraflex CT3 Short Arm with Falcon SP2 3.3 Shocks. What other components are needed immediately versus later?

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

I've been looking to upgrade the suspension of my JLUR for a while now, and I believe I've settled on the Teraflex 3.5" Alpine CT3 Short Arm System paired with the Falcon SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust shocks. Honestly, most of this suspension stuff is new to me and I'm struggling to understand all of it, but I spoke to a local shop and the recommended the CT3 Short Arm kit based on my needs:
  1. My JLUR is my daily driver but I do not really drive that much (true remote employee) other than errands (<3 mi round trip)
  2. Majority of driving is road trips from Chicago to destinations to wheel. I have had multiple 'beached whale' incidents with the longer wheel base of the JLUR, and want to get it higher to help prevent that from happening, so a 2.5" kit won't cut it.
  3. Suspension is expensive. I'd prefer to do a large install upfront with the necessary components for a quality lift versus multiple smaller installs where I'm going to end up overspending on labor costs every time they go to add in another component.
  4. New wheels/tires (35-36") will be a fast follow once I free up the cash to help with additional clearance.
  5. Buying quality components that will accommodate a larger lift/tires in the future. In several years once car becomes 100% toy, would likely go 4.5" lift with 40s, regear and potentially upgrading axles.
I spent considerable time talking to a local shop, who suggested that I also add in the Falcon Nexus EF 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer as part of "Phase 1" of my suspension upgrade. Phase 2 would then be an adjustable track bar, and Phase 3 would be a Tie Rod and Drag Link kit.

Honestly, the CT3 Short Arm kit is expensive, but the guy I spoke to also has JLUR and is doing the same thing with his vehicle this month. Is this a good approach for an 'all in' suspension upgrade? The install itself is another $1900 (15 hours/labor). Are there other components I'm missing that I would need as part of this upgrade? The shop told me that with a 3.5" lift I wouldn't need a new driveshaft but I'm unclear if they are correct.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
15 hours? Phew.

looks like that kit comes with a front adjustable track bar.

If you don’t have plans for 37’s yet, you will. 3.5 in lift is a lot for 35’s.

OP
OP
A Sober Animal

A Sober Animal

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Clubs

Yeah, the shop is recommending a rear track bar. Is that really necessary though?

15 hours does seem high, no? The official instructions say it's only a 9.5 hour install. I would think if a shop does this all day, it shouldn't take them 2 full days. I'd like to try and install myself, but I'm scared shitless that I'd screw it up and then crash the vehicle on a highway or something.

Ultimately, I'm just not sure what I can do now versus wait 6-12 months and do. I have no issues installing the kit knowing that it'll wear out some other components down the road until I replace them.

I am also debating tiering down from the Falcon 3.3 to the 2.1 monotube shocks, just to cut the cost of the upfront cost of shocks by 1k. Figure I can always upgrade to them at a later point in time, but I'm slightly concern about having a non-adjustable shock and it ending up being too rough.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Yeah, the shop is recommending a rear track bar. Is that really necessary though?

15 hours does seem high, no? The official instructions say it's only a 9.5 hour install. I would think if a shop does this all day, it shouldn't take them 2 full days. I'd like to try and install myself, but I'm scared shitless that I'd screw it up and then crash the vehicle on a highway or something.

Ultimately, I'm just not sure what I can do now versus wait 6-12 months and do. I have no issues installing the kit knowing that it'll wear out some other components down the road until I replace them.

I am also debating tiering down from the Falcon 3.3 to the 2.1 monotube shocks, just to cut the cost of the upfront cost of shocks by 1k. Figure I can always upgrade to them at a later point in time, but I'm slightly concern about having a non-adjustable shock and it ending up being too rough.
spend the money once. when i did my lift i thought the same thing with the shocks. i went with a mono tube standard shock and regretted it greatly. went with 3.3 falcons and i would never skimp on shocks ever again. next question have you looked at the JKS mfg kits? they come with their own shocks and its roughly 1900 bucks or you can add 2.0 fox shocks for bring the price to 2500. kit comes with the front adjustable track bar and rear relocation kit, lower control arms pre set for caster correction. I have personally installed these in my driveway in a day on jack stands. best part is if your planning steel bumpers and winch and camping gear you can get it with HD spring rate. I am currently running there 2.5 " kit of this setup with falcon 3.3's and am very happy with the road manners and off-road ability i do recommend adding the UCA for 400 bucks DUE NOTE that I believe ANY thing over 2.5" you have to upgrade drive shafts

https://jksmfg.com/collections/wran...cts/3-5-lift-kit-j-konnect-wrangler-jl-4-door

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

Well, it does make me think I undercharged the other day for an old ZJ that we put a 4” lift on with 8 adjustable arms, track bars, flipped drag link and tie rod.

what’s their labor rate?
Sponsored