Sponsored

Upgrading shocks (with no lift) to go faster off-road

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just arrived in Moab (first off-road trip after the upgrade). Will write a comprehensive review as soon as I am back :rock:
Awesome!
Have a blast and look forward to your review, and like mentioned previously, remove that front sway on the trail, simple to do and just zip tie the end links to your sway to keep them from clunking around.

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Alright, I am back!
To recap: my setup is a 2D 2019 Wrangler Sport S with AT tires, Rubicon suspensions, Fox shocks, and MetalCloak bump stops.
I didn't experience a noticeable difference in on-road manners: it drives a little bit straighter, but it might be due to the longer LCAs and/or an alignment I did at the same time. MPG wasn't affected.
The Jeep rides great on smoother and larger bumps, like sandy desert roads, which is exactly what I was looking for: I feel more confident going faster without breaking anything.
The two extra inches and increased articulation are also great: I was able to complete Fins n Things and scraped just once.
When it's time to change tires, I might upgrade to 33s, but for now the 31s are working great for my use case.
The only times when I am still experiencing a very rough ride is when driving on washboards and rocky roads.

20211125_141503.jpeg

PXL_20211124_174727619.jpeg

PXL_20211124_194629983.jpeg

PXL_20211124_205729308.jpeg

Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Awesome! 👍🏻 Good to hear it’s all working out as you’d hoped! Pics are great!

BIOSYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
@johnbyron , Looks like a great trip! I'm glad to hear the mods showed an improvement. It may be something I look into for our JLUR since the wife made it very clear to me that she is not ready to lift it. I have her talked into some new shocks but I've been a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@johnbyron , Looks like a great trip! I'm glad to hear the mods showed an improvement. It may be something I look into for our JLUR since the wife made it very clear to me that she is not ready to lift it. I have her talked into some new shocks but I've been a little hesitant to pull the trigger.
Glad it's working well for you, I was really happy I did the same, a big improvement running Rocky Gap a couple weeks ago.

Sounds like you had a nice trip too~WINNING!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
JUST DO IT! I'm sure you've been good this year and you deserve a reward under your tree, a set of shocks gives you 4 boxes to unwrap too :)

Sponsored

Omotose

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Extreme Recon
Jumping on this thread….my new 21 XR Rubicon is waiting transportation to me. I don’t plan on lifting it at this time. I’m changing out the factory fenders but I’ll run the 35s for a while. I’m trying to figure out an upgrade shock as well but will the Fox 2.0 no lift be limited because of the ride height of the Extreme Rubicon? Should I consider different bump stops? I don’t know if there’s enough dimensional data on the Extreme Rubicon yet to know what’s what?

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
Jumping on this thread….my new 21 XR Rubicon is waiting transportation to me. I don’t plan on lifting it at this time. I’m changing out the factory fenders but I’ll run the 35s for a while. I’m trying to figure out an upgrade shock as well but will the Fox 2.0 no lift be limited because of the ride height of the Extreme Rubicon? Should I consider different bump stops? I don’t know if there’s enough dimensional data on the Extreme Rubicon yet to know what’s what?
May I suggest a set of these. They are for a 0 - 2.5" lift regular Rubicon, so they would be perfect for a stock XR Rubicon. Ride quality and vehicle control is a huge improvement over stock.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading shocks (with no lift) to go faster off-road JLUR King2

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Just to note, I would always purchase 2-3'' lift shocks for a stock rubi. The suspension and springs will handle it. I'm now running 3.5-4.5'' lift shocks with a 3'' lift and keep reducing my bump.. now at 2'' and I'm still not bottoming the shocks.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Alright, I am back!
To recap: my setup is a 2D 2019 Wrangler Sport S with AT tires, Rubicon suspensions, Fox shocks, and MetalCloak bump stops.
I didn't experience a noticeable difference in on-road manners: it drives a little bit straighter, but it might be due to the longer LCAs and/or an alignment I did at the same time. MPG wasn't affected.
The Jeep rides great on smoother and larger bumps, like sandy desert roads, which is exactly what I was looking for: I feel more confident going faster without breaking anything.
The two extra inches and increased articulation are also great: I was able to complete Fins n Things and scraped just once.
When it's time to change tires, I might upgrade to 33s, but for now the 31s are working great for my use case.
The only times when I am still experiencing a very rough ride is when driving on washboards and rocky roads.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading shocks (with no lift) to go faster off-road JLUR King2

So... I think we may have crossed paths in Moab over the week of Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure you and I leap frogged over each other coming through Hurrah pass, and stopped at the same location to take a lunch break.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Just to note, I would always purchase 2-3'' lift shocks for a stock rubi. The suspension and springs will handle it. I'm now running 3.5-4.5'' lift shocks with a 3'' lift and keep reducing my bump.. now at 2'' and I'm still not bottoming the shocks.
Agree on this...I have 2.5 inch Clayton lift on a JLUR and the Fox 4-6 inch lift shocks are the ones that fit my measurements.

Also, just because there is better doesn't mean everything else is junk. The Fox 2.0s are great shocks...I have used them on one of my vehicles for years. They were a vast improvement over stock and allowed me to do things while running around the desert that most of my passengers thought were insane. Now with that said...when I jumped in our Class 8 race truck (same model and year as my personal) that had 3.0 inch King bypass shocks it was a whole different world. My 2.0 Foxes were not capable of being a full on race shock. But they did a great job for my fun blasts around the desert and some light chase and rescue work. The 3.0 Kings would have been overkill and I never would have taken the time to do all the tuning needed to make use of the bypass.
Sponsored

Last edited: