Sponsored

Upgrading shocks (with no lift) to go faster off-road

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Hello everyone, I am a noob off-roader and I own a 2-door JL Sport S.
I go off-road multiple times per year but I don't do any crazy rock crawling, mostly easy/intermediate trails and driving in the desert.
The problem I have is that I don't feel very confident going at higher speeds (>30MPH) in the desert because when I do I can feel that the jeep is getting "hurt" by the bumps of the road.
I know that an IFS would be better for this purpose, but, considering what I have, would you be able to recommend if upgrading just the shocks (cannot lift because I have a rack and a low garage) would give me any benefits when going faster off-road? I am not looking for jumping or anything like that, just going fast on washboards and roads with minor bumps.
If upgrading is a good idea, would you be able to recommend shocks with the following characteristics?
  • Compatible with an un-lifted 2-door sport
  • Improve significantly the use case of going faster on desert roads
  • Don't decrease on-road performance (this is what I am really afraid of, because the jeep currently drives fine and I am afraid of touching it)
  • (if possible) not adjustable, as it would introduce a new thing to remember/do whenever the terrain changes
  • Budget: approx. $1k.
  • Easy to install, without having to modify the Jeep (skid plates for the reservoirs, etc.)
I have seen videos of the Falcon SP2 performing very well at higher speeds, but they are adjustable and a bit too expensive.
Thanks!
Sponsored

wesjtx

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
You're not going to get what you want in that budget. Closest thing you can do is the Fox 2.0 IFP, but you're still not going to get great high speed valving with an out of the box shock with no resi. High speed means you need to have a good spring rate and matched shock valving to really perform as well as greater fluid capacity to keep the oil cool. The falcon options are ok, but still you need a higher end adjustable shock - soften the compression valving for on road driving and stiffen up to prevent harsh bottoming off road.

Wes

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
You're not going to get what you want in that budget. Closest thing you can do is the Fox 2.0 IFP, but you're still not going to get great high speed valving with an out of the box shock with no resi. High speed means you need to have a good spring rate and matched shock valving to really perform as well as greater fluid capacity to keep the oil cool. The falcon options are ok, but still you need a higher end adjustable shock - soften the compression valving for on road driving and stiffen up to prevent harsh bottoming off road.

Wes
Thanks! Would the fox shocks be much better than stock shocks?
Also, do you have any recommendations for higher end shocks? I am fine with increasing the budget to 1.5k or so, if it makes a lot of different in the quality of the shocks I can get.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Sounds like you're hitting your bumpstops from your description. Just changing your shocks isn't really going to stop that, I think you only have ~2" of uptravel on a sport at stock height.

Can you clear with any lift at all? Just going to a Rubicon take off set will get you a little more spring rate and a little more bump stop clearance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Sounds like you're hitting your bumpstops from your description. Just changing your shocks isn't really going to stop that, I think you only have ~2" of uptravel on a sport at stock height.

Can you clear with any lift at all? Just going to a Rubicon take off set will get you a little more spring rate and a little more bump stop clearance.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, I think I might be hitting the bump stops every now and then. Unfortunately with the rack I have almost zero clearance left and I really need the rack as it's a 2 door.
I am wondering if upgrading to the FOX shocks would still improve things enough to justify the expense.
Thanks!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, I think I might be hitting the bump stops every now and then. Unfortunately with the rack I have almost zero clearance left and I really need the rack as it's a 2 door.
I am wondering if upgrading to the FOX shocks would still improve things enough to justify the expense.
Thanks!
Can you move the stop back on your garage door opener and get a little more clearance at the front edge?

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Thanks!
I am sure there are smarter folks out there on this stuff, but my answer to your question would be no. The uptravel - hitting bumpstops only has two solutions. Gain more uptravel or stiffen your suspension so that it stops upward motion before it hits your bumpstops. The problem with the first is no shock is going to do that for you, and the problem with the second is you would likely have to change springs and shocks to get sufficiently stiff to stop it from bottoming, and then your jeep would ride like an empty 1-ton pickup.

The post that suggested Rubi take-off springs is I think on the right track. Those springs alone, no other change would gain you 1.5 - 2 inches of up travel. That alone with no shock change would make a big difference. Then add in a set of Fox 2.0 inch or Radflo 2.0 inch remote resi shocks and you are still at around 1k have gained nearly two inches of up travel on OEM springs and have a comfortable ride. IMHO you don't solve your issue with shocks alone.

These are currently showing on Rubitrux: 2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Shocks and Springs (rubitrux.com) $399 for Rubicon springs and shocks. Drop those in and you are running an OEM Rubicon suspension. Were I in your position, I would throw something like that on...see if it fixed your problem. If it doesn't quite do it, then put in another $700 or so an a set of 2.0" remote resi Fox or Radflos. Worst case you are in for $1100.

Last edited:

wesjtx

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
You are very limited in what you can get with no lift. I would recommend at the very least these:
JL 2dr: Falcon SP2 3.1 Piggyback Shock Kit (0-1.5" Lift) (teraflex.com)

But really would prefer the adjustable version - JL 2dr: Falcon SP2 3.3 Fast Adjust Piggyback Shock Kit (0-1.5" Lift) (teraflex.com)

My real choice is ADS Shocks - 2.5" remote resi with compression adjusters. Top of the line shocks that perform incredibly well on and off road. But at 3x your budget and only for 2.5-4" of lift rules them out. But they are the best on the market today in my opinion.

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I think I am going to first try and see if I can adjust the garage door at all to gain a few more inches of clearance and if that's possible I will go with the Rubicon take-offs.
If that's not doable I will consider upgrading just the shocks.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Since everyone has already mentioned the lack of bump travel, I'm going to suggest a few other things.

What tire pressure are you running? Reducing tire pressure can absorb more of the bumps, making the suspension work less. Also swapping to a 16" wheel would be beneficial as well.

Depending on your fabrication skills, you could get taller coil springs and cut fractions of the coil off until the ride height is correct. Every little bit you cut off of a spring will increase the spring rate, and an increased rate is likely needed to keep the suspension off of the bump stops.

Pneumatic jounce bump-stops are available for the JL platform (and even stock on the Mojave). I wonder if they would have enough range to work properly with Sport height.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Pneumatic jounce bump-stops are available for the JL platform (and even stock on the Mojave). I wonder if they would have enough range to work properly with Sport height.
I was thinking that, or even just cutting them down, but I wonder if the axle and other components have enough clearance to have the bump stop reduced from factory.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I was thinking that, or even just cutting them down, but I wonder if the axle and other components have enough clearance to have the bump stop reduced from factory.
Probably not. If I recall correctly, the diesel has taller bump stops because there isn't enough axle-motor clearance.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd just get Rubicon takeoffs from the heaviest 4dr version and a set of 0 to1.5" Fox 2.0 shocks, will be a big improvement from where you are now and only set you back $600 for the shocks, $200 or less for the takeoffs and $80 for longer mopar lift LCAs
Here's my install thread on that and post #4 is for the LCAs
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
And good links for the fox shocks
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-2dr-sport-only-thread.15647/page-20#post-1040143
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iew-stock-height-can-you-even-flex-bro.30338/

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Not a "high-speed" guy here. But My JL rides a gazillion times better on dirt at speed with mundane rubi suspension and beefier tires than it did when it was stock sport.
Sponsored