Upgrading Front D44 Axles vs. Buying Front UD44 Axle

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
@MN Jeeper - PS...there are also things in the list that would not come with the 1 tons and that cost would have to be added on top (covers, skids, ball joints, knuckles, etc.).
Most would come with the ones I would buy. I priced sets on Northridge and others a few times. Northridge comes in at like $16k with adams f/r driveshafts. Complete, including brakes, etc. Not skids or super covers, but those aren't the bulk of the cost.

I went with the Currie 60’s with 4.88 gearing. Lower end ones. I’ll be running 38’s. It stays 5 lug and LP rear. I myself am being proactive. I’ve seen a couple 44’s buckle out wheeling. I do not want to get stuck in that predicament.
Mind sharing what your cost was?
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Most would come with the ones I would buy. I priced sets on Northridge and others a few times. Northridge comes in at like $16k with adams f/r driveshafts. Complete, including brakes, etc. Not skids or super covers, but those aren't the bulk of the cost.

Mind sharing what your cost was?
Cost for?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Cost for?
Battleborn's low end Currie 60s.

EDIT-Currie has a bargain there. $10K and you'd be F/R 60s and the front is HP. The big downside (if you call it that) is below.

• Retains the Vehicle's Stock Steering Components, Brake Assemblies, and Wheels

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport
Battleborn's low end Currie 60s.

EDIT-Currie has a bargain there. $10K and you'd be F/R 60s and the front is HP. The big downside (if you call it that) is below.

• Retains the Vehicle's Stock Steering Components, Brake Assemblies, and Wheels
Yes, over time I will be upgrading those components.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, over time I will be upgrading those components.
The low end Currie's do look nice for the price. If I manage to break my upgraded D44's those would be the next upgrade.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Currie 60’s with 4.88 gearing. Lower end ones. I’ll be running 38’s. It stays 5 lug and LP rear. I myself am being proactive. I’ve seen a couple 44’s buckle out wheeling. I do not want to get stuck in that predicament.
@BattleBorn - The D44's that buckled had trusses on them?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
$250/axle is nuts. I’d be leery of anyone doing trusses that cheap.
That’s the average price around here, even at the shops with the best reputations who are considered pricey. That is labor only btw. The welds are perfect.

BattleBorn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport
These labor swings may have to do with the difference between driving a Jeep up and bringing a removed axle in the bed of a truck. Just a guess.
I’ve been quoted 500 from one and 600 from another shop to have an artec truss kit install on brand new 44’s out the box. Interesting to see other prices.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I’ve been quoted 500 from one and 600 from another shop to have an artec truss kit install on brand new 44’s out the box. Interesting to see other prices.
For sure is. I am pretty positive most trusses require damn near removal...so labor has to factor in there as pretty substantial unless it's like your situation.
Sponsored